Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sheepman Intelligent Creature  (Read 1712 times)

Buldinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sheepman Intelligent Creature
« on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:39 pm »

Can someone please tell me how i can rename the mountain goat man to sheep man? I've tried to do it myself in the games files but it still shows up as "mountain goat man" when i load it up.

I sadly don't have as much time as I used to and would love nothing more than to play as a sheepman in adventure mode.

Can anyone please help....? Also, before you say something like "sheep aren't intelligent" you got leech people in game... and sheep have been proven to be able to memorize and recognize human facial features, which is smarter than most other mammals on earth :)

Please can someone either show me how to do it or do it for me if you're extremely knowledgeable?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Sheepman Intelligent Creature
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:10:21 pm »

As for the direct request, just replace their entry with this. If you've already got a world, you'll need to change the version of the raws within your save folder. Otherwise just change the main raw folder.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:GOAT_MOUNTAIN_MAN]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sheep man:sheep men:sheep man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sheep woman:sheep women:sheep woman]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:HOOF_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:TOOTH_BITE_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:sheep man:sheep men:sheep man]
[DESCRIPTION:A horned person with the head of a sheep.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:5]
[MAXAGE:60:80]
[CREATURE_TILE:'g']
[COLOR:7:0:1]

I could also make actual playable sheep if you like, that should be easy. Even a Fortress Mode civ wouldn't require that much effort if you don't mind them behaving like dwarves.

*Also:Welcome to the forum, Buldinn.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Buldinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »

I'm not sure if I still got it right ._. But i'll figure it out! If you WAAAANT to create it for me that would be fantastic, i feel so dumb not being able to do this simple task myself ._.

I have no experience in anything like this but I just love Dwarf Fortress so much.

Thank you for your warm welcome and your help I really do appreciate it a lot.

As for the direct request, just replace their entry with this. If you've already got a world, you'll need to change the version of the raws within your save folder. Otherwise just change the main raw folder.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:GOAT_MOUNTAIN_MAN]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sheep man:sheep men:sheep man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:sheep woman:sheep women:sheep woman]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:HOOF_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:TOOTH_BITE_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:sheep man:sheep men:sheep man]
[DESCRIPTION:A horned person with the head of a sheep.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:5]
[MAXAGE:60:80]
[CREATURE_TILE:'g']
[COLOR:7:0:1]

I could also make actual playable sheep if you like, that should be easy. Even a Fortress Mode civ wouldn't require that much effort if you don't mind them behaving like dwarves.

*Also:Welcome to the forum, Buldinn.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 05:14:39 pm »

No problem. I'm busy at the moment, but I'll set up your sheep-dwarves as soon as I can. Probably later on this afternoon. I did want to ask first, what exactly did you have in mind? I can make quadrupedal sheep or bipedal ones. If you'd prefer quadrupeds, should they grasp things with their mouths or their front hooves?

I'm going to have them wear clothes either way, just to make sure we don't run into any playability issues regarding them getting upset over being naked.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Buldinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 05:26:11 pm »

Absolutely no rush at all, please take your time!

Bipedal please! Is there a way to make them produce wool and be sheared like normal sheep? If not or if it's a lot of work please dont worry bout it, all I want is an intelligent sheep man.

Thank you so much I appreciate it a lot!!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 05:46:44 pm »

I don't know what will happen with the ability to shear them, I've never made a woolly sentient race before. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

You're welcome, I'll come back once it's done.

*Sorry, I definitely won't be able to get this done tonight. I'll see about tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:34:56 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Ombragon

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLEEQUICK][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 10:51:19 am »

Well, I tried to do a shearable race before, the shearer stayed stuck in a "can't shear himself" loop. You should be able to bipass it by making a non-shearable caste though

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »

Thanks, I decided not to enable shearing. Dwarf Fortress typically doesn't like creatures that blend sentient and pet traits like that, and I didn't want to take any major risks on this mod given that it likely won't receive much testing beyond Buldinn's gameplay.

Anyway, the sheepmen are complete. They don't have martial trances, but they don't cave adapt or strictly need alcohol either. You mentioned that you primarily wanted them for Adventure Mode, so I went ahead and gave them human-style towns for convenience. You can still make forts however you want in Fortress Mode.

Here's the link to the completed sheepmen. To install it, drag the files to your objects folder inside the raw folder and then generate a new world. As the DFFD description says, the modified entity_default is just there to ensure that sheepmen civs will spawn and that you will be playing them in Fort Mode. You don't strictly need it, if you'd like to play as either dwarves or sheepmen within individual worlds. The _4B tag on their stuff means "For Buldinn". Giving them a unique naming scheme makes sure that your sheepmen are almost certainly compatible with any other mods you might decide to install alongside them.

If you encounter any problems, feel free to PM me.

Have fun!

*Made a last minute change, they were missing the BENIGN tag.

**It also occurred to me that they shouldn't be milkable, so I fixed that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:54:06 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 01:45:37 pm »

Thanks, I decided not to enable shearing. Dwarf Fortress typically doesn't like creatures that blend sentient and pet traits like that, and I didn't want to take any major risks on this mod given that it likely won't receive much testing beyond Buldinn's gameplay.

Anyway, the sheepmen are complete. They don't have martial trances, but they don't cave adapt or strictly need alcohol either. You mentioned that you primarily wanted them for Adventure Mode, so I went ahead and gave them human-style towns for convenience. You can still make forts however you want in Fortress Mode.

Here's the link to the completed sheepmen. To install it, drag the files to your objects folder inside the raw folder and then generate a new world. As the DFFD description says, the modified entity_default is just there to ensure that sheepmen civs will spawn and that you will be playing them in Fort Mode. You don't strictly need it, if you'd like to play as either dwarves or sheepmen within individual worlds. The _4B tag on their stuff means "For Buldinn". Giving them a unique naming scheme makes sure that your sheepmen are almost certainly compatible with any other mods you might decide to install alongside them.

If you encounter any problems, feel free to PM me.

Have fun!

*Made a last minute change, they were missing the BENIGN tag.

You know, goblins shear trolls. I don't think dwarves can do it dwarf mode though. Although since it's a request, maybe it is best not to try anything too fancy.

It would also be sorta weird.

Bill the sheepman: "Hey, Urist, thanks for cutting all my wool off the other day. I made you a shirt out of it."

Urist; "It was inevitable. It is scratchy."
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.