Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less vampires?  (Read 1936 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Less vampires?
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:00:40 pm »

Is it just me or there are less vampires coming to your fort? A year ago, I'd have at least one vampire in a 100 dwarf fortress, but I haven't seen any in the newer version.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Less vampires?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »

Are you playing from the exact same seed with the exact same number of vampires from your own civ and civs who are eligble to visit you still alive by the end of worldgen? How many worlds did you test this on?

Since there's a huge amount of variables which effect how prolific vampires are in any particular world, you're alnost certainly just seeing less thanks to the gods of rng than any code changes. They're not generated from the void for the sake of your fortress. (They do still exist in the current version, that much I can tell you).

Next update might have them be a bit more prolific due to plotting and villanous behavior. Possibly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:19:55 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:09:29 am »

I haven't seen a vampire since I came back to the game...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 02:41:52 am »

Vampires are still there. It was a bloody mess when I removed a visiting vampire in my latest fortress, as the bugger was a quester with buddies...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:13:09 am »

I suppose the op may have been playing pre-vampire purges?
I didn't notice a difference in fortress mode, but there's definitely more dying off during worldgen and less to find in Adventurer than before.

(I recall this specifically as I was trying to work out how to balance my mod before Toady did it for me with the purges. Almost invariably the first thing you encountered when wandering out of town was a centuries old minotaur axe lord vampire. Fun the first time, makes a good story a couple more times like when olm-people blowgunners suddenly emerge to cover your escape. After that, kind of tedious).

LaChouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:19:50 am »

Got a 3 years old fortress with 150 dwarves, two of them are vampires, so there's definitely still a lot of them.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:42:45 am »

10 year old fort 150 dwarfs with no visitors and I have two. One immigrant and one cursed for knocking over a gods statue.
Seems about as many as i remember, and why i used to turn them off in advanced world gen.

I also get a visits form weres about every other year which is also about normal for me. Plus the home made one who knocked over a different gods statue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:07:03 pm »

The rng gods also seem to bless me with snatchers every year, and there are some who are convinced they've been missing from the game completely since 2012. Rng is funny like that (I'm sure my worldgen settings are something to do with it too though).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:13:52 am »

Is it just me or there are less vampires coming to your fort? A year ago, I'd have at least one vampire in a 100 dwarf fortress, but I haven't seen any in the newer version.

I have similar experiences. In my fort, started in version 0.44.10, only vampires are these from early days. This may be partly because there are no more normal migrants yet, only naturalised citizens, whose "acquisition" is not curbed by population cap. But even the wandering minstrels, vagabonds and mercenaries shut be vampires sometimes - but nope, not in my fort. All clean.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 07:52:12 am »

I've seen a small number of snatchers that started appearing when mounts were restored, it it was some time ago now. Vampire frequency varies a fair bit, with some fortresses not seeing any, and my current one, about 5 years old, is currently up to its third visitor vampire. Unfortunately, they have all come as part of quester groups, so dealing with them gets rather messy.