Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Occupying(!!huge!! spoilers)  (Read 10577 times)

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
Occupying(!!huge!! spoilers)
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:03 pm »

I sent out one depressed dworf that had legendary shield user on this mode to demand the surrender of a vault and occupy it(he actually succeeded); as soon as I went into adventure mode, the specific strain of angels that resided there became a playable race.

This was after thinning it out with my mary-sue adventure mode character as the commander with one other dworf that died at home:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my question is, what actually comes with occupying a site? do they engage in trade with you, will there be migrants from said site?
with this sort of find, I guess if you have potential conquerable goblins that live alongside blizzard men or even trolls, you could potentially have citizens of these races running around your fort if its the case above.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying(!!huge!! spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:07:35 pm »

Lol, Peasant Champion of Lorsīth

Bizarre finding though, which mods are you running?

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:57:11 pm »

I'm not running any mods, just the vanilla then a controlled separate dfhack copy just to export legends faster.
I tweaked the world parameters to be as evil as possible while having enough space for neutral regions for the civilizations to spawn in, and also good regions so that the elves have the elusive materials/unicorns for me to make use of later on. which is why it looks the way it does
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:59:36 pm by BadCompany141 »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:39:43 pm »

I take it this was one of those rare worlds where the vault was visible on the map? I've seen one of those, but they're exceedingly rare.
Normally you can only raid vaults for their slabs, which doesn't allow you to occupy the them.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:21 am »

I take it this was one of those rare worlds where the vault was visible on the map? I've seen one of those, but they're exceedingly rare.
Normally you can only raid vaults for their slabs, which doesn't allow you to occupy the them.

no haha, the only thing rare about this world is the one tower genned in year 15 in a world of 20 years of hist. if you find a structure in adventure mode, it becomes listed in fortress mode also.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 03:44:23 am »

no haha, the only thing rare about this world is the one tower genned in year 15 in a world of 20 years of hist. if you find a structure in adventure mode, it becomes listed in fortress mode also.
Oh, that's good to know.
By the same logic, sending a squad to a location to find an artifact should really reveal the site for future raids and occupation. I guess that'll happen once location knowledge becomes a little better defined.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 03:57:19 am »

well, to answere your question: im not sure :P Migrants from occupied sites make sense to me, at least to some extend, but how exacly that was coded, only Toady known. You could set up a rather simple experiment though, where you play as a dead or dieing civ. just wait for the two hardcoded migrant waves, then occupy a normal site from another civ and see if you start getting migrants from there. Its also worth considering that some of this might only trigger after the fort is retired. so migration from occupied sites might happen in the worldgen between forts, even though it didn't happen in the fort. Seeing how DF sometimes acts in mysterious ways, it might also be able to get migrants from an occupied site when you unretire the fort or start a new fort in the same civ. I would be very interrested in what people learn here.

I heard something about occupied sites sending tribute to you, much like the "ask for tribute" missions. I highly doubt they trade with you right now, but that may change once caravans are actually moving wares from A to B, rather then just spawn at the edge of your map.

One thing we do know is that if the site has any notable figures (who are alive after you occupied the place) you can request that they come to your fort. so thats one way to get elven/human/goblin "migrants" ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:25 am »

To answer Grand Sage's experiment question: It's impossible to perform with a dead civ because of a bug that places raiding parties in stasis as they leave, possibly because the parent civ is dead, so there's nobody to move the army (i.e. that code might be skipped over) http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10891.

I've essentially done what you suggested with a "struggling" civ with no members, but I used a pop cap to emulate a dead civ to some extent, so I shouldn't have received any migrants anyway. That fortress died due to save corruption, unfortunately.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:03:51 pm »

i'll try out Grand Sage's implied suggestion as soon as I somehow sort out the disaster at the home fort, as a matter of fact; I have a different vault in the world where my adventurer went to, a group of goblins followed me there and I just let them fight it out with the angels. One of the angels became a notable hist fig after getting a kill.
heres the guy or thing:

also, since I basically made angels assimilate to my civilization, would it also mean that the 30+ surviving assistants(that are classed as animals) get introduced into my civilization? angelic milk anyone? maybe even angelic wool(not divine cloth)?

edit:
larmok wants to contain his secrets and is hell-bent on getting my fortress destroyed, a section of the partially dried ocean collapsed into the final cavern layer revealing candy and a magma sea
this is how it looked like afterwards(gif):
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:26:53 pm by BadCompany141 »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »

uh, very interesting every one. If you had occupied that vault (or occupy it now, without killing that angel) I think you should be able to make him/her/it a member of your fort, by requesting a hist fig (if thats how it works). Very excited to see some sience beeing done on this topic! 
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 05:18:09 pm »

*raises eyebrow at the collapse*

Unusual that they'd lose support like that. Did you, perchance, save after using open-legends? Can't really think of other causes.

Angelic citizens is pretty interesting though. Those that are made of ‼fun‼ materials might be of limited, if unique, usefulness.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 08:48:42 pm »

*raises eyebrow at the collapse*

Unusual that they'd lose support like that. Did you, perchance, save after using open-legends? Can't really think of other causes.

Angelic citizens is pretty interesting though. Those that are made of ‼fun‼ materials might be of limited, if unique, usefulness.
it happens when stuff burns underground or above ground, one time I burnt an entire lair up at the surface in adventure mode, then potholes started forming, corpses from underground started appearing at the surface, even the perspective wooden spears/blowguns. a dead jabberer even popped up, it was actually my first time seeing one.

also i keep two different folders of the game, one in vanilla for basically playing and the other one in lazynewbpack for "debugging", just because i think running the game in dfhack might increase the chance of stuff getting screwy over time

i would like to find out a way to cancel out the collapse announcements, all im doing right now is hitting space while the thing keeps collapsing and pausing.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:06 am »

i would like to find out a way to cancel out the collapse announcements, all im doing right now is hitting space while the thing keeps collapsing and pausing.

If you don't want to restart the game to change d_init.txt every time, it's easy enough with dfhack:
Code: [Select]
lua
df.global.d_init.announcements.flags.CAVE_COLLAPSE.RECENTER=false
df.global.d_init.announcements.flags.CAVE_COLLAPSE.PAUSE=false

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 06:16:42 am »

Wait, you can set individual announcements on and off!?
Pages: [1] 2