Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stockpile Bin Problems - Do you have them?  (Read 3999 times)

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile Bin Problems - Do you have them?
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:49 pm »

Hey guys,

I using the latest version of the PyLNP launcher pack, which plays with DF 44.12. In my games, Dwarves wont use bins in the assigned stockpiles. I have lots of bins, and when i set a stockpile, and increase the number of bins, they simply wont bring the bins to the stock pile.

Are you guys having the same problem?

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Bin Problems - Do you have them?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:08:58 pm »

I use your setup, and I don't notice bin problems. I do have both wooden and metal bins.

I guess we can try to do some basic troubleshooting, although you've probably checked most of this stuff yourself.

Is it the kind of stockpile that uses bins? Stone stockpiles, for instance, don't use them.

Are the bins forbidden? It's just possible you might've forbidden them without meaning to do it.

Is there enough stuff in the pile for the dwarves to bin up? They don't put more than one "extra" bin in a pile.

Are the bins on the way to a furniture stockpile?

Beyond that, I dunno.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:22:25 pm »

First of all thanks for your support.

As you said i did try some of the stuff you suggested but not all. One thing i didnt know was the part about dwarves only adding bins to a stock pile under demand. In past versions, this behavior was different, they would add the number of bins assigned to them. Maybe that whats confusing me.

I noticed the same "problematic" behavior with barrels in my raw food stockpile.

To answer your questions the stockpile ate hand is a bar stcokpile. My dwarves have filled the stockpile with charcoal, and they arent adding new bins to it. I do have bins in a furniture stockpile, and there a may of them.

Do you think this mayhave something todo with DFhack messing with the wheelbarrows? I forbid bins in the furniture stockpile and it seemed to work, but not really.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:02:52 pm »

There may be issues if you don't have an empty tile in the stockpile. I've seen it with pots for food storage, that a pot can be assigned (it gets the <#> added to its name) but not moved to the actual stockpile.

This may also prevent more pots/bins being assigned, but I haven't tried to rigorously verify as much. (I have persistent hauling shortages due to very low population and it's sometimes hard to sort out which is an actual problem and which is just things being too low priority.)

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 02:51:38 pm »

There is that DFHack tweak for assigning more than 3 wheelbarrows. I'm running that and don't have bin problems. Then again I also don't assign wheelbarrows to non-stone stockpiles, so if you're running bar stockpiles with wheelbarrows maybe that does create some conflict. I wish I had some better suggestions for you.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 03:53:34 pm »

the only problem i get with bins (and barrels) is that items in them are mostly never available, because once any dorf gets a job order to use the bin/barrel or any other item within it, it becomes unavailable for any other dorf.
so when Urist McMiner decides to leave the lower mines to drink, the barrel becomes unavailable until after he finished walking to the staircase, climbing all the z levels, walked the long hallways until he reaches the godlike meeting hall and finally drinking from the barrel. so during that time all dorfs who might stand right next to the barrel go "cancels drink, no beverages found" and receive a bad thought maybe.
same with bins, although it is worst with ammo in bins.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:27:00 pm »

Cancellations do not produce bad thoughts.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 08:08:46 pm »

Check that you haven't reserved your bins for workshop jobs--no vanilla job uses bins, so reserved bins just remain unused.

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:23 pm »

Thanks guys for all the info. Unfortunatly, no dice yet. I have checked and i dont have reserved bins.

The biggest problems seems to be the fact that a full stockpile wont accept a new bin. And a new bin wont be added to the stockpile unless there is need to. That is making things go crazy in my fort. I wish i coul dpost a pic.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:02:31 am »

A possible fix: use a dump zone to consolidate the stockpile contents into a smaller area.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:21:32 am »

Two areas you can look for information:

- If your bookkeeper is on the highest setting, you could check the entry for Bins and tab to see the full list of bins. The bins will have the stockpile # in their name like "-Gem Bin (spore tree) <#7>-  If there is no # in the name, it is an available bin.

- In 'j'ob list, if you look at the "Store Item in Stockpile" and "Store Item in Bin" jobs, the rightmost column will show the stockpile # for jobs related to your stockpile, and if you hit 'j' again, it will give job detail to show what item is being brought to the stockpile or put in the bin.

The only other consideration is that if you are usually at 0 Idlers, the job might be waiting but no one is available to do the work. I use bins a lot and when a stockpile is full of rock blocks, they still bring a bin over and put it on the stockpile.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 08:59:39 am »

after all, bins and barrels are still wonky and using them can cause some fun.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 09:30:50 am »

Anewaname, what version are you using? Do you use the launcher LNPY? I understand your point, but i do have tens of bins, and just a few stockpiles with 5 bins assigned. They should be working fine. Im not sure how to post a picture here, but it would be easy to see the problem. Let me see if i can figure out how to post a pic

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:58 am »

https://ibb.co/nbUXzU

I think this will work? Pic ^

See the lefthandside, in the upper stockpile i have lots of bins. In the bottom left stockpile, i have iron bars, and the stsockpile is assigned for 5 bins. There should be new bins going in.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:37:05 am by gustavoghe »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:23 am »

I am using vanilla 44.12 but haven't seen a change in bins since before 43.05.

You have over 10 idlers so the bin-related jobs should be assigned (unless you have some burrows restricting your dwarfs from the areas).

There can be two bin-related jobs per stockpile that you can find in the job list. This is my fort's job list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On your job list, you are looking for a "Store Item in Stockpile" or "Store Item in Bin" job with your iron bar stockpile's number on the right.[/i] The process works like this, if there is no empty bin on the stockpile, a "Store Item in Stockpile" job is created to bring the bin to the stockpile, and if there is a non-full bin on the stockpile, a "Store Item in Bin" job is created and slowly adds items to the job then a dwarf is assigned to the job. Here is an screenshot of 'j'View_Job details for one of mine:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To do the job in that second image, that dwarf will take a month to walk all over and collect all those bolts then bring them all to the bin, maybe two months. A short warning: Storing ammo in bins can cause message spam if you are not careful in your setup.. So, looking at your setup, there should be either a "Store Item in Stockpile" or "Store Item in Bin" job related to the iron bar stockpile's #. You should be able to 'j' on that job to see what items are involved.

There is at least one bin on that iron bar stockpile.... What's on your job list?

Also, I typically set a stockpile bins to max, because only one is brought at a time.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: [1] 2