Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not as much puking....?  (Read 792 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not as much puking....?
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:53:23 am »

In the surface settlement I have been playing with my Dwarf populace I have noticed a LACK of puking.  I thought Dwarfs were always suffering somewhat from cave adaption.  Have I cured most of my populace?  The settlement is almost two years old and everything but the farms, storage, hospital and coffins is above ground in a wooden frontier-type fort.   :-\
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not as much puking....?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:39:03 am »

Cave adaptation can be mild or severe, with the latter causing the nausea and vomiting. Every click a dwarf spends in sunlight will reduce their cave adaptation level, but once cave adapted they need nine full weeks of exposure to be cured (per the wiki). If they're consistently getting sunlight then they probably never reach that mild cave adaptation.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 12:08:49 pm »

Cave adaptation can be mild or severe, with the latter causing the nausea and vomiting. Every click a dwarf spends in sunlight will reduce their cave adaptation level, but once cave adapted they need nine full weeks of exposure to be cured (per the wiki). If they're consistently getting sunlight then they probably never reach that mild cave adaptation.

Cool.  Thank you very much!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »

Every click a dwarf spends in sunlight will reduce their cave adaptation level, but once cave adapted they need nine full weeks of exposure to be cured (per the wiki).
To be more specific, it takes a full year of being continuously underground before a dwarf begins to show any symptoms at all (i.e. just dizziness); it isn't until they've spent a year and a half underground before they begin to vomit, and the game stops counting about 5 days short of 2 years. Spending 1 day outdoors will counteract exactly 10 days of being in darkness, so as long as your dwarves spend at least 10% of their time outside, they will never become cave-adapted.

[edit] As an added bonus, if your dwarves are outside while it's raining or snowing, they will be gradually cured of their cave adaptation without suffering any negative effects (aside from the unhappy thoughts from being in the rain/snow), but as soon as the sun comes out, they'll vomit.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:01:36 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:39 pm »

Every click a dwarf spends in sunlight will reduce their cave adaptation level, but once cave adapted they need nine full weeks of exposure to be cured (per the wiki).
To be more specific, it takes a full year of being continuously underground before a dwarf begins to show any symptoms at all (i.e. just dizziness); it isn't until they've spent a year and a half underground before they begin to vomit, and the game stops counting about 5 days short of 2 years. Spending 1 day outdoors will counteract exactly 10 days of being in darkness, so as long as your dwarves spend at least 10% of their time outside, they will never become cave-adapted.

[edit] As an added bonus, if your dwarves are outside while it's raining or snowing, they will be gradually cured of their cave adaptation without suffering any negative effects (aside from the unhappy thoughts from being in the rain/snow), but as soon as the sun comes out, they'll vomit.

They have been complaining about rain a lot - I settled on an island so it is warm even in winter and the nearby river only ices up for a few weeks.  So I may end up with tanned Dwarves.    8)

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:02:29 pm »

They have been complaining about rain a lot - I settled on an island so it is warm even in winter and the nearby river only ices up for a few weeks.  So I may end up with tanned Dwarves.    8)

Woo, beach dwarves!! Stock up on the pineapple wine.