Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack utility: stockpile charts [WIP?]  (Read 1643 times)

lornath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DFHack utility: stockpile charts [WIP?]
« on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:08 am »

I wanted to post here to see if there was any interest in further developing this idea:

A simple visual display to have on a second monitor that tracks stockpile inventories over time, brings attention to inventories that are running low, and also makes sure there's enough stockpile space to accommodate inventory growth.

It's sometimes hard to answer basic stockpile item inventory questions (ex: "Do I have enough beds/chests/cabinets to add 25 bedrooms right now?", "Is my prepared food supply increasing or decreasing?"), especially with multiple stockpiles as forts grow larger.  Making sure there's enough empty stockpile space to prevent crowded workshops is another concern.

I used DFHack to put together a separate window showing a series of charts to display over time various categories:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking for feedback - "This is totally useless", "I want this!", "Meh", ... to see how much effort it's worth getting ready for publishing/sharing (or not)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack utility: stockpile charts [WIP?]
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 03:37:40 am »

You wanted feedback, including negative one:
I see no need for it, as I find the current stockpile view, plus DFHack's enhanced one, to be sufficient for my purposes. I use quantum stockpiles, and so run out of stockpile space only in feeder stockpiles, booze stockpiles, and seed stockpiles, which are easy to track visually. Note that's just my view, others have different opinions.

I'd recommend basing it on how useful you find it to be yourself. If it's worth the effort to build it for yourself, it's probably worth the additional effort to provide it for others, assuming your personal needs don't result in something that's too tailored to be of general use.

ragundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:48:31 am »

I love the idea, not much the execution.

Is too convoluted. What is needed is a full dashboard for the stockpiles with a sidebar where you can select all the stockpiles, or filter them, showing also the linked ones etc, would be great.

On the tech side. How is this made? C++?. Is it multiplatform ?

PS. I love tools that runs in another window different from Dwarf Fortress. Today, using a multimonitor setup is common, so I like to have my DF Game in a monitor and use Dwarf Therapist, and your tool in the other one.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:51:17 am by ragundo »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 02:58:37 pm »

I'd like to see a stronger use case argument. I do love a good dashboard, but I prefer automated solutions where possible. For example, I generally use the manager to automate stock supplies. I did run into the problem of not having enough materials to build X things, but my solution there was to rewrite buildingplan to support all building types.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 03:06:57 pm »

lornath, I like your idea, even though I would have to alt-tab since I don't have 2 monitors.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.