Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: generate repeating architectural motifs by civ  (Read 797 times)

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
generate repeating architectural motifs by civ
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:33 am »

Alright, it's difficult to put my idea into words, but what I'm thinking is that during world gen, each civilization will produce a text file / several text files that include "rooms" to be inserted into randomly generated places. different civs will have different generated rooms / architectural motifs that repeat from fortress to fortress.

If a player creates a new room file, then new fortresses in the world will start including rooms like that in generated fortresses, and when a player-made fort is retired, abandoned, or crumbles to its end, a random segment of the fort could be output as a new room for the civ - meaning that player architectural decisions will be copied by their parent civ.

when I say "room file", I am envisioning something like this:
Code: [Select]
.#####.
##...##
#.ccc.#
#.ccc.#
#.ccc.#
##...##
.#####.
where # is a wall or stone or some such , . represents empty space, and c represents a carpenter workshop or some such. Only some things should be specifically generated like this: halls, temples, libraries, inns/taverns, throne rooms, meeting areas. Maybe not all of these are generated for every civ, either.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: generate repeating architectural motifs by civ
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:08:05 am »

Ah, while it's a fine idea, I was hoping that we'd get cultural designations like the procgen clothes items, so some civs would have corinthian columns, while others have Doric or Solomonic styles.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:11 pm »

Do you means different architectures for each civilization, dictating the layout of the rooms and how they are decorated? In some years it might be doable, especially if Toady add more possibilities of customizing the rooms.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:26:21 pm »

Do you means different architectures for each civilization, dictating the layout of the rooms and how they are decorated? In some years it might be doable, especially if Toady add more possibilities of customizing the rooms.

yes, precisely!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:01:20 am »

There's been previous threads on the topic, but Toady has mentioned he's afraid it won't be flexible enough.

Maybe we could consider a rule based architectural scheme, perhaps combined with some 'hard coded sections' like these.

Like, you could say, 'I want this CIV to use ellipsoid rooms always/sometimes/only for important buildings', and then, stuff like 'always has windows', 'corners are made of wood and long sections are made of timber', or 'double walls, inner walls are loam clay outer walls stone', 'rooms are always symmetrical'

Maybe have a curve definition for roof shapes, like, [0:0] for a perfectly flat roof, and [0:1] for diagonal, and then [0:0.5:0.75:1] for a somewhat rounded roof(maybe actually experienced modders have other feelings about this).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!