Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [MOD] [LINUX] Local Multiplayer Adventure Mode/ Dungeons and Dragons with Guns  (Read 1152 times)

DeathHunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi, I'm probably going to get yelled at how this is impossible and how it takes the fun out of the game.

I am attempting to take Adventure mode and have Hackmaster like turns (look here if you don't know what it is: https://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/) and include Warhammer like aspects of it (Power Armor, Humans multiply like rabbits, the big wars, etc). The GM has the players connect to his world on his computer via the internet, Where he follows the characters in a cursor mode and can shortcut back to the players if he loses sight of them. He has a form of dfhack terminal to edit the world, such as set the time per tick to thirty seconds or cause a party of marauding Dingo men to appear, or use normal dfhack commands to do things.

I have very little experience in C, Arduino and a small amount of coding with CTFE/Phoenix and the WPI libraries and I want to know if there is something in the code that I can access or edit without touching the source code, or if I need the source code for it. A pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated. :)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

The game is closed-source. What you're describing is not possible to do, even with DFHack.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:45:08 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

DeathHunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Well dang.

EDIT: Is there a way I can ask A Toady One for the source code? Or is that not even a viable option?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:11:58 pm by DeathHunter »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well dang.

EDIT: Is there a way I can ask A Toady One for the source code?
He's not giving it away. It's been stated that he will only release it if he dies and none of his children take up the project.

DeathHunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Wow. I shall have to learn machine code and go into a nomadic decade of understanding, and come out later when there is a new version, and repeat the same process.

EDIT: There goes my dreams.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. I shall have to learn machine code and go into a nomadic decade of understanding, and come out later when there is a new version, and repeat the same process.
Too bad versions come out about once in two years, and Toady will not appreciate people reverse-engineering his code.

DeathHunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I wouldn't either.

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess you have to make your own game from the scratch. Or reuse some other resources. Will you, or was this topic the killing blow to the idea?
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Doesn't one of the Neverwinter games allow something like what the OP wants?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

Doesn't one of the Neverwinter games allow something like what the OP wants?
in NWN 1+2 you can connect to a server as GM and your character can use special powers:
-you can access many server settings
-change time
-change every creature's health, stats, XP, inventory etc.
-spawn creatures from the scenario's creature presets
-toggle your visibility
-teleport yourself and creatures/players
-i bet i forgot something

NWN is quite a nice engine for this. one could possibly rebuild ones fortresses with NWN as it has a leveleditor that uses square tiles aswell.

next step would be creating NWN tilesets with (neighboring-tiles-sensitive) tiles for each and every DF tile and have a DFworld export script that converts it to NWN world formats.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know nothing about actually using DFhack but what if you had a script to take player control of a select entity after a PC finishes their move, then linked input to a chat software like with "Twitch/Discord plays X" games?
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats?