Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fate of my last fortress.  (Read 1248 times)

indika_tates

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The fate of my last fortress.
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:41:47 pm »

It was a prospering fortress. A rich one. More than 100 happy dwarves, without a single tantrum in years. There was a good amount of monster slayers living into. Everything was pretty much in order. Lots of food, clothes for everyone, golden furniture within, a barony, twenty dorfs on the military with a full set of bronze armor (mostly exceptional/masterpiece). Even a marksdwarf squad. Not legendary warriors, but the militia was in a decent shape after one year of training. Then, a Forgotten beast appeared. There was already another FB wandering the caverns. As soon as the new one enters, both start fighting. The new one slayed the wanderer in a short combat.

Then I decided that it was the time to fight the forgotten beast and claim the caverns for myself. As soon as I opened the cavern bridge I moved 20 hammerdwarves + 10 marksmen into the fray. There was about 4-5 monster slayers that came into. The FB was a gigantic hidrosaur. And it killed 30 dwarves in a row. There was no hope, every single hit was a dead dwarf (gore included). As soon as all of my military and monster hunters were dead (a pair of legendary MH included) the beast entered the fortress and slayed everyone in it's way.

I learned something the hard way. Don't mess with gigantic hidrosaurs. But it was a fun :) And if in a future I find another FB like this, I'm sure i'll try a different approach.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of my last fortress.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:59:29 pm »

I've never found Forgotten beasts to be too much of a deal. Even if it massacred half of my fort, someone would eventually strike it down...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 04:51:52 am »

Probably bad luck. You can offset most of bad luck by training the warriors in dodging (*). Then basically only a massive number advantage, tiredness or poison could kill them, and only the last one applies to forgotten beasts. Well, there's also webbing, but this can be offset by your number advantage, and I understand the hydrosaur didn't have webbing. If it bleeds, you can kill it.

*) melee fighter who achieved Master Level in standard training in barracks should have it high enough without other manipulations.

indika_tates

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:55:03 am »

I've never found Forgotten beasts to be too much of a deal. Even if it massacred half of my fort, someone would eventually strike it down...

I've never had too much problems with FB's. But this one was too much. It trampled whatever was in it's way suffering only minor injuries. There was also a morale factor since other dwarves didn't handle too good seeing how their squadmates were brutally murdered. By the way, it's an "hadrosaurid".

The FB appears to be something like this, but in a "giant" version. :-)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:02:04 am by indika_tates »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »

Too bad you were not able to kill it, A well-preserved skeleton of a hadrosaur is discussed here, and estimated with a weight of 3.5 tons, about 50-80% the size of an elephant, and it is always interesting to see how much an FB weighs. With only broken toes and tiny scars... that is a big FB. Creature descriptions should include a weight estimate of some sort so you know how scary the creature might be. When I sent military after an FB, I close the gate behind them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

The FB appears to be something like this, but in a "giant" version. :-)

Pity you can't hold mirrors in front of your warriors, Perseus style. Then the morale advantage would be on your side.

This creature has toxic blood which, depending on syndrome, can be quite lethal. Especially since it apparently dropped lots of that blood in the whole neighbourhood. Maybe it was the syndrome which helped kill the dwarves.