Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uh-Oh - Vampire?  (Read 2392 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uh-Oh - Vampire?
« on: October 20, 2018, 03:38:57 am »

I just saw one of our two resident bards stumble to bed 'faint' with a minor head injury (dented).  "He was afraid after experiencing a trauma".  But there's absolutely no mention of any combat in the reports.

Something very bad and strange has happened.  Vampire bite maybe?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:40:54 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Uh-Oh - Vampire?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:57:56 am »

I don't think vampire feeding leaves head injuries. Could he have fallen?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

yiggdrasill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:03:35 am »

ive never seen or heard of a vampire doing this. its likely a fall or a brawl or something.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:05:40 am »

Probably got wounded and the wound got infected. If so, the dorf is pretty much doomed.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 10:50:45 am »

This would be the first injury I've ever seen that didn't appear in combat logs, what's up with that?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 12:55:57 pm »

Your predictions appear to be coming true, though.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »

This would be the first injury I've ever seen that didn't appear in combat logs, what's up with that?

You sure there are none? If there is a log by this dorf's name, yet it is empty, that just means a lot of time has passed since they received the injury. The cause might've been a tavern fight or some unfortunate fall.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »

You sure there are none? If there is a log by this dorf's name, yet it is empty, that just means a lot of time has passed since they received the injury. The cause might've been a tavern fight or some unfortunate fall.

Yeah that just means like, a couple weeks has passed. They vanish surprisingly quick.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 02:23:11 pm »

Any forbidden items in your tavern that shouldn't be forbidden? "The spinning {-maple cup}- strikes the entertainer in the head, denting the skin and bruising the ego!"

Even though the Reports disappear quickly due to sparring entries, you should be able to find a combat message in the gamelog.txt by searching the file for the unit's general label (not sure what the proper name for this label is, but it will look something like "dwarf clothier" or "elf bard"...). Once you see all the entries in that file, one of them should mention a hit to the head.

If you are not used to searching text files, what OS?

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 03:22:26 pm »

I think I found it...  An altercation with one of the hordes of buzzards that are continuously trying to invade every entrance.  That was entire seasons ago, sheesh.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »

I think I found it...  An altercation with one of the hordes of buzzards that are continuously trying to invade every entrance.  That was entire seasons ago, sheesh.

If a dwarf is particularly large, the vampire won't drain them out completely and they can recover. But glad you found out the cause.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 05:24:20 pm »

^ does this mean a very large dwarf, or maybe a human, can serve as an indefinit food supply for my vamp fort?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »

^ does this mean a very large dwarf, or maybe a human, can serve as an indefinit food supply for my vamp fort?

Theoretically yes, if you can find a way to make sure the vampire will have access to, and only have access to, the said very large dwarf. It takes a while to regenerate the blood (weeks, months), and I'm not sure whether the process drains a certain percentage of the target creature's AVERAGE size, or just a certain amount of blood based on the vampire's size. If the former, then you'd need to have a large dwarf, or a large human and there wouldn't be a difference. In the latter case, you could actually use Panda Men or some large animal people to serve as the blood sources without fear.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:32:55 am »

Elephant men or rhino men, maybe. Theyre ginormous. sperm whale men would be the best candidate, but they suffocate out of water.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:05 am »

Not practically, because there are no humans big enough. When a vampire drinks, it usually takes somewhere between 5 and 15 litres of blood equivalent (if possible, i.e. the victim is still alive). If it takes close to the low bound of this range, the dwarf or human survives (except children and already bled ones, who have not enough blood). But next time the victim may be not so lucky and the vampire wants more than the victim holds. Also blood is refilled quite slowly, so if you have two vampires, the victim may survive first, but not the second.

Vampire doesn't need as much blood (it requires about 4.2 litres to sate every 3 months, unless hasn't feed for more than 3 months), but is just wasteful.
Pages: [1] 2