Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to encourage dwarfs to claim specific items as personal  (Read 2677 times)

Ripian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to encourage dwarfs to claim specific items as personal
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:44:55 pm »

This question is not about giving armor/weapon in military.

In short I have a unhappy dwarf, so I made a aluminum figurine to lower her stress level(she prefers figurines and aluminum metal).

How can I give her this figurine? I think this question must been asked before by new players, but it seems that there aren't any threads about item claiming as personal item. I have read from wiki that it seems that dwarfs can randomly claim various items. If I can't directly give item for dwarf, how can I encourage dwarf to claim specific item?

Currently she possesses own bedroom with wooden chest.(I am saying this, because I assume that dwarfs may store personal items similar how soldiers store items into weapon rack and armor rack)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: How to encourage dwarfs to claim specific items as personal
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 02:39:38 pm »

This is a guess...

Lock her in a room with the figurine, a bed, food and drink. Set up three 1 tile stockpiles all set to accept the figurine. Link the three stockpiles to give to each other (forming a loop, a to b, b to c, and c to a). Being the only one in the room, she will begin carrying the figurine from one stockpile to another, possibly choosing to claim it as an item at some point in time.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ripian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 02:44:12 pm »

Well i guess this might work, but doesn't the creator of the game made a easier way to do this?

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:48:59 pm »

No, the creator of the game makes the dwarfiest way to do this.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 03:37:16 am »

As far as I understand, dorfs only claim wearable trinkets, and if that's the case it won't be claimed. There was a bug causing dorfs to claim items made out of desired materials, but that bug was squashed (fortunately, as dwarves move very slowly when having taken half the diorite large pots in the fortress...).

The stockpile trick works for wearable trinkets, though (but you only need 2 stockpiles, both giving to each other).

The preference for figurines comes into play if a dorf becomes a noble, in which the bugger will spew mandates to produce figurines and then forbid export of them...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:43:52 am »

I can't believe I never thought about this stockpile trick!  We need a "Need satisfaction stupid tricks thread" to accumulate all these!

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:56:18 am »

Seems like this would not work with bins.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:28 am »

From what I've studied about bins, stockpiles do pass from bin to bin between themselves so I think it could work, but would probably be that extra step harder to set up for it. (It's taking something out of a bin to set on the naked ground that the game balks at; dwarfs are compulsive tidiers.)

The stockpile trick works for wearable trinkets, though (but you only need 2 stockpiles, both giving to each other).
Okay, I just tried setting two stockpiles to give to each other and I couldn't make it work. Do you have a secret technique?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:40:10 am by mightymushroom »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 01:10:10 pm »

Nope, but it worked when I tried it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 01:37:35 pm »

Yeah, using bins would complicate the "trinket-shuffling" trick and probably cause job-cancelling bin spam during the "shuffling". I handle it in this manner in my fort... The binned Finished Goods stockpiles only accept non-masterwork/non-artifact items. The "trinket-shuffling" stockpiles are non-binned and only accept masterwork items. No spam is generated from this and dwarfs are shuffling only the nicest stuff.

My three stockpiles are 1-tile, 1-tile, and 20-tile and I check occasionally to ensure the larger stockpile does not get jammed up (you do need three stockpiles to make the loop and if they are all full, nothing moves). I currently am making crafts only to support trinket-aquisition and noble-demands, not for trading, and the process could use improvement to become more automated.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »

Let's not pretend that this is working-as-intended. The dev does not expect people to do silly stockpile hauling arrangements to get dwarves to claim items they like. I don't think it's helpful to build up the idea that silly workarounds thought up by the DF public are how the game is supposed to work. There IS no mechanism for giving dwarves bracelets and whatever, but there is a way to expose them more often to the only current conditions that allow them to decide to claim one for themselves.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:35:47 am »

As far as I understand, dorfs only claim wearable trinkets

There's at least one more kind of items they claim: coins. Coins are claimed by both numismatists (coin lovers) and by people liking particular metal, which the coins are made of. My record holder has 13 coins or stacks, other guy has 9, and some other have smaller amount. They seem to keep all the coins in the right hand. Very annoying to me, since I make coins every year, and need to make more, if they snatch them.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 05:24:33 am »

A coin lover stealing coins in his right hand ? If your coins are like, chinese coins with a hole in it I might have bad news for you

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 06:10:46 am »

A coin lover stealing coins in his right hand ? If your coins are like, chinese coins with a hole in it I might have bad news for you

I often split stacks into single coins (500 out of a stack), so it's manageable, just a bit annoying. I imagine they are like kind of rings. But how the dwarf manages to put a full stack of them on his hand I don't know.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 08:05:29 am »

As far as I understand, dorfs only claim wearable trinkets, and if that's the case it won't be claimed. There was a bug causing dorfs to claim items made out of desired materials, but that bug was squashed (fortunately, as dwarves move very slowly when having taken half the diorite large pots in the fortress...).

The preference for figurines comes into play if a dorf becomes a noble, in which the bugger will spew mandates to produce figurines and then forbid export of them...
Figurines will no longer be claimed... this is an unfortunate thing. When this thread came out, my fort had gold ore and I was crafting piles of gold sceptres in hopes dwarfs would pick them up and hit things with them.
Pages: [1] 2