Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Endless Shores 1.72  (Read 21123 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Long Shore 1.7
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:12 pm »

Depending on the suggestion. I do have a concrete vision for what I would like my settings to be but I am always interested in feedback.
i think the saurians really dont't really fit. they just seem like random trex people plastered in and not really an actual culture that exists in the world. also is it possible to actually display the biomes that you've made in the fortress mode biome checker? rn i'm not really aware of which biome is which (aside from some obvious ones)

Unfortunately I can't do that. The saurians were also intended to be something like kobolds but much larger however I see what you mean.
alright, i get that. anyway, can you still tell me what biome is which and how exactly magic works (i've only been able to find salt magic and what seems to be normal necromancy in legends viewer, although this may just be because barracudans all died off ). how does one become a pyromancer/occultist or even warlock? idk they i just haven't been able to find them despite all being concepts that i find very inventive and love
[/quote]

They work like slabs, if you can find a slab of that power you gain access to it. The frequency at which slabs are generated and what type you get is up to the whims of world generation. Once you read a slab you gain its powers, which you can view and use by pressing 'x' and going to acquired abilities.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Zalthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 05:22:00 am »

Ah, another great setting from the squamous. Just for confirmation, this is updated to 0.47.04, yes? If so, could you update the post title, if possible?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 06:17:49 am »

Ah, another great setting from the squamous. Just for confirmation, this is updated to 0.47.04, yes? If so, could you update the post title, if possible?

You can check the version of a mod by going on dffd
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Bad_Goblin

• Bay Watcher
  • Ergh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 01:28:18 am »

Incredible, this reminds me a lot of D&D’s Dark Sun setting. Quite an interesting and unique spin on the whole post apocalyptic narrative. Can’t wait to see what you add to this in the future!

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Endless Shores 1.72
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2022, 08:55:10 pm »

Just started the latest version of this mod, can't wait to see how it goes. But I did notice what may have been oddities during worldgen. The game gave me two errors, one for generating deserts and one for generating grasslands. Are these supposed to happen or have I found something odd after the settings have been tweaked? I used the 'Shore Medium' advanced parameters for worldgen if that helps explain what happened. Also, it rejected over 1,550 worlds in the process. Is this, too, normal?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 07:21:19 pm »

Just started the latest version of this mod, can't wait to see how it goes. But I did notice what may have been oddities during worldgen. The game gave me two errors, one for generating deserts and one for generating grasslands. Are these supposed to happen or have I found something odd after the settings have been tweaked? I used the 'Shore Medium' advanced parameters for worldgen if that helps explain what happened. Also, it rejected over 1,550 worlds in the process. Is this, too, normal?

I think I might have goofed on the latest version of this while trying to fix a bug, I'll just roll it back since I'm a bit busy currently.

CarpBiter2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2022, 12:11:24 pm »

Been having a great time with the mod. Really like the atmosphere – reminds me somewhat of “The Drowned World” by Ballard. Here’s a few bugs I’ve noticed:

1.   Copper automatons are completely chill with the undead. To the point of watching their masters being torn apart by a zombified donkey.
2.   Some reanimated crab parts during fights are getting constant “passes right through”
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3.   Surface farmers kept demanding maize on several occasions, even though I never tried to grow it.
4.   After a raid one of my guys became a “holy sea”, one upping Moses both in style and scope.

And a few “not sure if it’s a bug” things:
1.   Life is too peaceful. I’ve had 2 fortresses in 2 worlds, and the current one has been around for 10-ish in-game years. I’ve been making all sorts of trouble, but my neighbors keep ignoring me.
2.   Same as above, but in regards to caravans. Maybe my dwarves were unlucky with the trading partners in both worlds, but so far I’ve only seen dwarven caravans.
3.   What’s up with the underground plants? The only ones I can keep growing are Fungal Stalks, the rest just lose their seed supply no matter what.
4.   Dwarves are supposed to be more neurotic, but they seem to be really zen. Pretty much everyone “doesn’t really care about anything anymore” (comes with the reanimating biome, I suppose), and out of current 190-ish citizens I have exactly one mason who’s depressed. I had a couple almost losing it after the fortress went down to 4 inhabitants, but they all are alright now.
Granted, I haven’t played that much since even the first dwarven psyche rework, so it could be working as it supposed to, but I came in expecting my guys to bash each other’s heads in more often.   
5.   Undead suicide by tree is a thing:
I remember trees being bugged ever since the 3D ones were introduced, so I think it’s on vanilla. But just in case.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 02:13:49 pm by CarpBiter2000 »
The lake unfroze, the ducks drowned.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2022, 01:54:20 pm »

Been having a great time with the mod. Really like the atmosphere – reminds me somewhat of “The Drowned World” by Ballard. Here’s a few bugs I’ve noticed:

1.   Copper automatons are completely chill with the undead. To the point of watching its masters being torn apart by a zombified donkey.
2.   Some reanimated crab parts during fights are getting constant “passes right through”
3.   Surface farmers kept demanding maize on several occasions, even though I never tried to grow it.
4.   After a raid one of my guys became a “holy sea”, one upping Moses both in style and scope.

And a few “not sure if it’s a bug” things:
1.   Life is too peaceful. I’ve had 2 fortresses in 2 worlds, and the current one has been around for 10-ish in-game years. I’ve been making all sorts of trouble, but my neighbors keep ignoring me.
2.   Same as above, but in regards to caravans. Maybe my dwarves were unlucky with the trading partners in both worlds, but so far I’ve only seen dwarven caravans.
3.   What’s up with the underground plants? The only ones I can keep growing are Fungal Stalks, the rest just lose their seed supply no matter what.
4.   Dwarves are supposed to be more neurotic, but they seem to be really zen. Pretty much everyone “doesn’t really care about anything anymore” (comes with the reanimating biome, I suppose), and out of current 190-ish citizens I have exactly one mason who’s depressed. I had a couple almost losing it after the fortress went down to 4 inhabitants, but they all are alright now.
Granted, I haven’t played that much since even the first dwarven psyche rework, so it could be working as it supposed to, but I came in expecting my guys to bash each other’s heads in more often.   
5.   Undead suicide by tree is a thing:
I remember trees being bugged ever since the 3D ones were introduced, so I think it’s on vanilla. But just in case.

Thanks for the tips. Currently I am focusing on the Long Night in order to have at least one professional-quality product for the steam release, but when all that fuss has died down I will try going back to work on some of my older mods as well.

Angry Parakeet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2022, 06:53:47 pm »

Hey there! My eye fell on this mod a while back, and I was intrigued by its central concept, which is very cool. I finally took the time to try it out and poked around a bit with a few short forts, and I enjoyed it a lot, so I have a few notes. I know you're not working on this mod right now (and I'll certainly be giving Long Night a go sometime soon), but I wanted to leave some feedback anyway.

-Cool as the various giant crustaceans and insects are, they retain a certain problem that giant insects in vanilla have: their chitin is like rice paper. I've witnessed a single unarmed dwarf kill a giant fungal crab with a well-placed punch to the cephalothorax. If you want to buff them up a little, you could try replacing the material values for chitin with those of shell, which is a little tougher.

-Love what you've done with the caverns, but I think there's room for more variety of creatures. The mushroom people aren't particularly challenging and neither are the giant fungal crabs, due to aforementioned chitin problem. Incidentally, wormant's name is bugged (displays as "nothing" in game). I was actually pretty surprised when a regular ol' vanilla large rat showed up, is that supposed to happen? It was at least a welcome break from flying mushrooms spooking my dwarves. Anyhow, I have a few suggestions (I haven't seen every aboveground creature by far so forgive me if there's some duplicates): maybe have fungal crabs spawn in slightly larger groups so they can be more of a crundle-like threat,  predatory cone snails with nasty syndrome, giant anglerfish, flesh-eating mudskippers, sea stars for the Deep Rot, giant cave lobsters, maybe some 'silk'-spinning tube worm things  (as currently, quite a few moods will end in insanity if you don't have relations with a trading partner that has 'mud spiders'), giant and predatory or not. I'm not sure if grazing is possible in the caverns, but maybe some kind of big snail you can farm/graze down there. Maybe scaly-foot snails -these are real life snails that live around volcanic vents and make their shells out of iron, which might be very interesting to dwarves. Generally speaking, creatures based off freaky deep-sea scavengers. Maybe the very largest of the cave crocodiles of the old world survived down there, doing battle with landsharks for the spot as top predator. Evil cave dolphins? Evil cave killer whales? Really big crab okay I'm out of ideas

-Speaking of iron - it's very possible to spawn a dwarf civ with no access to iron at all, and thus no anvils. Might be intentional, idk?

-Tide mushrooms don't seem to work, growing into unusable generic 'plant' that seems to rot away quickly.

-Landrays are cool but very weaksauce due to not having bones to protect their brains. I admit it's hard to come up with suitable war animals for dwarves in this mod and not just going 'some kind of crab' - maybe an adapted, more compact breed of cave crocodile? Some aboveground predator of the old world that survived by adapting to the caverns?

-The new varieties of races are pretty cool, but maybe shrimp men would be better distinguished from their fellow crustaceanfolk (as being crustaceans) and from the dwarves (as being small) by being pistol shrimp men. Kapow!

-Intelligent octopus people. Octopus wizards.

-Lastly, there is a striking lack of butter to serve all these giant crabs with.

Don't know if you'll do anything with any of what I've said here, but here it is anyway. Thanks for making a fun, flavourful mod full of cool stuff!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:00:32 pm by Angry Parakeet »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2022, 04:23:55 pm »

Hey there! My eye fell on this mod a while back, and I was intrigued by its central concept, which is very cool. I finally took the time to try it out and poked around a bit with a few short forts, and I enjoyed it a lot, so I have a few notes. I know you're not working on this mod right now (and I'll certainly be giving Long Night a go sometime soon), but I wanted to leave some feedback anyway.

-Cool as the various giant crustaceans and insects are, they retain a certain problem that giant insects in vanilla have: their chitin is like rice paper. I've witnessed a single unarmed dwarf kill a giant fungal crab with a well-placed punch to the cephalothorax. If you want to buff them up a little, you could try replacing the material values for chitin with those of shell, which is a little tougher.

-Love what you've done with the caverns, but I think there's room for more variety of creatures. The mushroom people aren't particularly challenging and neither are the giant fungal crabs, due to aforementioned chitin problem. Incidentally, wormant's name is bugged (displays as "nothing" in game). I was actually pretty surprised when a regular ol' vanilla large rat showed up, is that supposed to happen? It was at least a welcome break from flying mushrooms spooking my dwarves. Anyhow, I have a few suggestions (I haven't seen every aboveground creature by far so forgive me if there's some duplicates): maybe have fungal crabs spawn in slightly larger groups so they can be more of a crundle-like threat,  predatory cone snails with nasty syndrome, giant anglerfish, flesh-eating mudskippers, sea stars for the Deep Rot, giant cave lobsters, maybe some 'silk'-spinning tube worm things  (as currently, quite a few moods will end in insanity if you don't have relations with a trading partner that has 'mud spiders'), giant and predatory or not. I'm not sure if grazing is possible in the caverns, but maybe some kind of big snail you can farm/graze down there. Maybe scaly-foot snails -these are real life snails that live around volcanic vents and make their shells out of iron, which might be very interesting to dwarves. Generally speaking, creatures based off freaky deep-sea scavengers. Maybe the very largest of the cave crocodiles of the old world survived down there, doing battle with landsharks for the spot as top predator. Evil cave dolphins? Evil cave killer whales? Really big crab okay I'm out of ideas

-Speaking of iron - it's very possible to spawn a dwarf civ with no access to iron at all, and thus no anvils. Might be intentional, idk?

-Tide mushrooms don't seem to work, growing into unusable generic 'plant' that seems to rot away quickly.

-Landrays are cool but very weaksauce due to not having bones to protect their brains. I admit it's hard to come up with suitable war animals for dwarves in this mod and not just going 'some kind of crab' - maybe an adapted, more compact breed of cave crocodile? Some aboveground predator of the old world that survived by adapting to the caverns?

-The new varieties of races are pretty cool, but maybe shrimp men would be better distinguished from their fellow crustaceanfolk (as being crustaceans) and from the dwarves (as being small) by being pistol shrimp men. Kapow!

-Intelligent octopus people. Octopus wizards.

-Lastly, there is a striking lack of butter to serve all these giant crabs with.

Don't know if you'll do anything with any of what I've said here, but here it is anyway. Thanks for making a fun, flavourful mod full of cool stuff!

It's fine and thanks, the critique is appreciated though I don't know when I'll circle back to this. It was made when I was much less experienced so yeah there will be these kinds of problems. Any sort of bug reporting is appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]