Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The senses. Criticism. Love. Progressive and thirsty vision development.  (Read 2247 times)

Mystik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

How to make sure that dwarf fortress is really good? criteria such as complex simulation, the amount of exotic content. By realism, I mean, when the townsfolk cannot predict the essence of phenomena. They are tied to the sciences. Thus, we meet with everyday exotic.

But, I can not believe myself. I can believe a small number of people. The creator of the dwarf fortress has a scientific degree. But there were many who exploited it, using such means as deception and corruption, communications.

I want to find good arguments. Good arguments that will cultivate love in me. After all, I am looking for her. Simulator of various worlds, which allows you to conquer the unknown.

But here. If you look at these aspects of the game. On the Russian encyclopedia on dwarves, it is said that the attribute "analytical ability" affects a small number of things, and only somewhere in the adventurer mode. It disappoints me. I just learned recently that dwarves sleep several times a season. And they eat very rarely. For a long time I was afraid (and now I'm afraid) to start. Remove from pause. After all, in front of me is a potentially divine object, my companion for life. But no. Everything is so bad. It turns out that plants are not generated by chance, but there are certain types that in metagaming, we need to learn that we have to plant them in wild caves. Lord, this is a generator of worlds, what the hell, plants and rocks here are not completely random?

Dwarves need a drink. But, if it is a generator of worlds, it must qualify for all sorts of races. EVERYTHING! Where is my love? Why does my heart fade? I want to play for mermaids, Lord! For mermaids !!!

But actually it is not. I want to be a priest, I want to build my church in one of the worlds. And nice to coexist with the citizens. But no, the churches are not thought out at all! How much to wait! I want a church simulator! I want to be a priest! If you hear among all that I have said. So make it possible to dispose of a small church !!! PLEASE, BELIEVE. PLEASE.

And so, ideally, I would like to be able to play for the loader, and for the engineer, scientist and teacher. I would like to teach my children theology, talk about the gods and mysticism. Scare them hell for crime. Hahha But, it depends on the mythological system.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: The senses. Criticism. Love. Progressive and thirsty vision development.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:15:03 pm »

ok but what is the question
(or did you just failed a mood?)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:17:00 pm by Cathar »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:46:18 pm »

*untangles the word salad*

Most of that is coming within 30 years.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 11:33:34 pm »

Looks like Google Translate from a language far from English. Probably Russian.

Do you know about modding?

If you do not mod, then you only know a thousandth of the Dwarf Fortress experience.  When people say that Dwarf Fortress is a "generator of worlds" they are talking about modding.

Regular Dwarf Fortress creates worlds, but the base of those worlds are always similar. Dwarf, elf, goblin, always the same.  If you want truly new experiences, you must create them (or download them).

Modders have added chemistry, magic, real-world cultures, more realistic or fantastic animals. They have also made worlds based on Pokémon, Dragon Ball, Mario Brothers, My Little Pony, and internet memes.  And some have taken all of those and put them into a single world to see what happens.

Dwarf Fortress is a generator of worlds, but you must create the world you wish to see. You can make almost anything you can imagine.  Learn to mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 08:14:47 am »

Dwarf fortress is intended to be a generator of unique fantasy worlds. One day when it's somewhere close to ver 1.0. In the meantime it's good enough to, as mentioned, generate versatile worlds based on player input (mods).

Mystik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 05:11:35 pm »

I want to be closer to God. For this, you need to understand a lot about the creation of worlds.

The main question is whether the Creator follows his laws? Were there any laws before him?
If the creator does not obey any laws, then he is the greatest criminal. A creature that does not follow the laws of being. Possessing free will.

I am a player who entered the world of dwarf fortress. And my decisions do not depend on the internal laws of the world. Therefore, I have free will from the world of the dwarf fortress.

Adventurer is a connection between two worlds. A world where he obeys the laws of the dwarf fortress and where he is controlled by a PLAYER.

In fortress mode, I become a mass consciousness. My "I" is dissolved in many rational entities.
I am everywhere and near the living, acting.

I can make decisions. Using the prophecies, give understanding to the dwarves what to do. What to do. Without me, they sit back, often. Nature is made apathetic. And my task is to create passion.

Every dwarf is enlightened. Get rid of desires. But only I, the creator, God, the absolute. I create passion passionless

The world obeys the laws. Being liberals, you want to refuse. At the beginning, from gravity. And then, from the need for food, and from death. In the end, we come to drawing.

Some meaningless cubes are created, which are transcedents in themselves, but immanent, they can be felt. But you can not understand. These cubes become part of matter. These are magical, and their nature is divine. After all, their very essence, the ability to distinguish matter into species.

The greatest realism. The biggest generator of worlds. Using string theory. The uses of worlds where the laws of logic are denied. Where the world comes from nothing.

Where to find sense? Why am I suffering? MASTER, LORD, CREATOR, GAME DEVELOPER, ANSWER. PRAYER, PLEASE. BE MILESTEN. HOW TO CREATE A WORLD GENERATOR? HOW TO CREATE A WORLD GENERATOR? WHERE DO I LIVE? WHAT DO I DO? HOW TO CREATE AN ORIGINAL CHURCH? WHERE IS THE TRUE WAY? GOD, GOD, PLEASE ANSWER. PLEASE, CREATOR OF DWARF FORTRESS, I KNOW YOU COMMUNICATE WITH ANGELS. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO. ASK. ASK FOR WHAT THE ESSENCE OF THESE WORLDS. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
HOW TO MAKE THINGS? HOW TO DO ANYTHING? I DO NOT WANT TO ORDER TO DIG
I want to fly! I want to fly!!!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:53 pm »

Yes, Lord Vivec, just don't drop the moon again!
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »

Mystik, I can relate -

When I first played DF I was promised a game on unyielding complexity and infinite creation (the promise was not explicit, but those traits were certainly suggested by some of the reviews and responses I had read at that point).

At first, those promises held true! There was such a depth to the interactions I witnessed during play that I saw them as a reality unto their own. In other words, I truly thought of DF as an alternate reality and not a simulation.

Of course, those thoughts are silly. I was young and failed to understand those inherent limitations of the video game. Over years of play I slowly became aware of the boundaries of the simulation I was experiencing. Like you mention, rocks are a collection of properties and values and not just rocks. Dwarves are a similarly layered collection of traits, properties and values which are much more complex and varied than rocks. Compared to our shared reality outside the game, within the game of DF dwarves actually have much more in common with the rocks than with us humans playing the game.

I, too, experienced frustration about these facts. How could a game as complex as DF still fall so short of the ideal I had been promised? "A game of unyielding complexity . . " had become "A game with irritatingly meaningless specificity." Take wood, for instance. Different woods have different densities, but for the majority of purposes wood is interchangeable. Except for a few edge cases those densities are meaningless, and yet we still have to juggle and read through the different named woods.

However, I suggest you take a deep breath (before you completely descend into schizo-Nietzschean frenzy) and reconsider what you are asking of Dwarf Fortress, of Tarn Adams, and of video game development in general. To ask for a complete reality simulator would be asking for a completely alternate reality. That is impossible, and I believe it will always be impossible for a finite creature (human) to create an infinite reality (the universe). We can program patterns, we can program patterns that create new patterns, and program fractals and chaos in between, but at the top of all this creation is still just a human. You ask for a God, but where will you find that? Take a step outside, maybe then you might find something, but I doubt you will ever discover what you're begging for in the form of a video game.

You should understand that some of those things you demand are planned. Tarn Adams is competent in a fascinatingly complex way, and you can expect that he shares many of your broadcasted desires. If you take the time (breathe, friend, breathe) to read through the planned features of the game, you will better understand the outer boundaries of DF's simulation. For instance, you want randomized plants and rocks - that's planned! There will be a slider letting you go from Tolkien to Chaos and every state in between.

For now, you have two options to further your personal desires for the DF experience.

1. As indigopheonix mentioned, consider modding! Even simple .txt editing can lead to a completely new experience, and (as I understand it) further changes can be made through the utility DFHack. You have the vision, so make it reality!
2. Use your imagination to fill in the gaps. In the current version, you cannot explicitly simulate the formation of a new religion via mythological storytelling. However, you can recruit followers rather easily, and use your adventurer to build a church building. Your imagination can supply the story that you want to see. YES, I know that's not IDEAL but it's what we have and you must understand how brilliant it truly is. Nothing quite like DF, a complex simulation of materials and objects that can be used to help craft myth, has ever existed in human culture and you SHOULD FEEL COMPELLED to take advantage of that.

Mystic, you are an interesting writer and I hope you continue to visit these forums. I also hope you sit down and play the game and write out your thoughts. I, too, remember starting the game and being afraid to unpause. I was so damn excited! Your heart is in the right place, just try to calm down and see what brilliance you can create!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:20 pm »

The best thread title I've come across in a long time.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 12:52:24 am »

I smell a meme thread.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:52 pm »

Can anyone understand lines like this?

Thus, we meet with everyday exotic.

After all, I am looking for her.

For a long time I was afraid (and now I'm afraid) to start. Remove from pause.

It turns out that plants are not generated by chance, but there are certain types that in metagaming, we need to learn that we have to plant them in wild caves.

Where is my love? Why does my heart fade? I want to play for mermaids, Lord! For mermaids !!!

So make it possible to dispose of a small church !!! PLEASE, BELIEVE. PLEASE.

I think there's a good post there, but it's inaccessible to me because I can't understand it.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rataldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 03:06:36 pm »

I smell a meme thread.

My vote is to title things "Progressive and thirsty      "

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 07:32:13 am »

I smell a meme thread.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP's posts were at least partially spat out by an algorithm.

Or maybe it is just difficult to distinguish between a thoughtless entity that smashes words and concepts together with no understanding of their significance or relations beyond having repeatedly observed them in close proximity in the past, and a computer program that slurped up the entire bay12 forum.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:11 am »

The first entry isn't that hard to understand if you are accustomed to deciphering machine translated text, and since they mention using a Russian encyclopedia that seems a fair assessment.  Basically they want more procedural generation.

The second post sounds like the rambling of either a mystic or a troll. I considered writing a response in the same language but if life has taught me one thing, it is to never go full mystic.

Mystik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 01:21:35 am »

I have a certain literary style. It may look unusual, because it perceived information from various sources throughout life. I'm sorry.
So, I was formed. To confirm, you can ask a question, I will try to answer.

Pages: [1] 2