Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to settle?  (Read 695 times)

birdman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to settle?
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:44:03 pm »

I'm not talking about embarking, I'm talking about picking what z-level to center your fort's operations, living, etc. I've been trying to come up with some rough blueprints for a new fort that can be applied regardless of location, with room for adjustments since every location will be a little bit different.  I have a bad habit of building a ton of the fort at or near surface level, and eventually things get a bit cramped and I've ruined my lower levels with mining. I'd like to build my fort a bit deeper in the rock in one of those layers but I'm worried the cavern will pop out at me unexpectedly. I hear some people encounter the first cavern only 10 z-levels deep but I had to dig down a good 35 before hitting it last time?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where to settle?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:16 am »

You can use advanced world gen to tailor the vertical layout to some extent. There are parameters for the height of the sky, the distance to the first cavern, the distances between caverns, the distance between the 3:rd cavern and the magma sea. I set the distance to the first cavern to 15, as that should be enough to fit my fortress in below the aquifer, 2 between each cavern to allow me to dig under cavern lakes without wet stone cancellations, and 3 between the 3:rd cavern and the magma sea to allow me to avoid hot stone cancellations as well.

Vertical distances are also dependent on the terrain and altitude of the embark, but it seems to me that setting distances to values other than the default ones are more likely to be obeyed than the defaults.