Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Supply and Demand  (Read 6549 times)

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
  • One time, a horde of Monkeys doomed my Dwarves.
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:27:16 pm »

"Hey Dwarves, I'm a trader from the hottest fucking desert around and my home is surrounded by fuck tons of sand. Also, my civilization is on the brink of destruction 'cause of some big-ass dragon. Do you know what I'm willing to trade my precious food and drinks for? MORE WORTHLESS SAND!" -Some Human.

If you couldn't tell, I'm proposing that specific trading caravans value some items differently based on the location, wealth and state of the civilization that the caravan originates from. Maybe even out-right refuse items like sand if a trader lives in the middle of the biggest source of sand available.

Some examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you guys think? I believe a more "alive" economy would add a lot more life to this wonderful game!
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.
May ye seek out solutions before your dwarf drops dead.
Ladderbound provided the proof ye can be stuck at the top of a ladder.
All raise yer cups to Ladderbound!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Supply and Demand
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:32:03 pm »

That's the Economy arc. It's planned, but it's not a priority.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:33:18 pm »

Ah, I guess I missed that in the developments page...
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:42:14 am »

It comes after Moving Fortress Parts which includes ships.
There was some chicken and egg pondering over No reason for ships without an economy vs No real economy without ships but in the end ships means Pirates! which is more fun than maths so seems like it'll be first.

But after Mythgen and Starting Scenarios (law, politics and society) both of which are so involved there'll probably be a couple of big releases for each.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 08:12:45 am »

There was some chicken and egg pondering over No reason for ships without an economy vs No real economy without ships but in the end ships means Pirates! which is more fun than maths so seems like it'll be first.
Is that Toady's stance, though? His degree is in mathematics.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:16:30 am »

Is that Toady's stance, though? His degree is in mathematics.
A career he quit because Pirates! are far more interesting.

(No, he only said ships are great fun so he wants to do them first).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:19:13 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:57 am »

Who doesn't want to trawl for mermaids? :P

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:29:54 pm »

I'm now imagining a rag-tag group of Pirate Dwarves striking down an army of Mermen and later feasting on the lower-halves of them like the crazy bastards they are. Hopefully this could be a reality one day.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:04:17 pm »

I'm now imagining a rag-tag group of Pirate Dwarves striking down an army of Mermen and later feasting on the lower-halves of them like the crazy bastards they are. Hopefully this could be a reality one day.
According to Toady's description, steering your ship just right means you can displace passing mermaids, flipping them into your automatic deboning device.

Well, maybe not that exact description, but that's what he was getting at, right?  :)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:50:19 am »

This is not actually realistic.  The value of the sand does not change, people just won't buy the sand.  There is nothing realistic in having infinite demand for any item, even if we make the value go down. 

Actually supply and demand determining value is an illusion.  The illusion is actually based upon the fact that the base numerical value of an item is the average amount of labour required to produce each item against the other item.

What that means is that if I employ 100 farmers to grow 1000 plump helmets and also employ 100 carpenters to produce 100 chairs, a chair is worth 10 plump helmets.  But if there is a famine and my farmers produce a total of only 10 plump helmets, because I still employed 100 farmers the value of each plump helmet is actually that of 10 chairs. 

If I however only employed 1 farmer to make 10 plump helmets, the value of the plump helmets would still be 10 plump helmets per chair; even though everyone is starving to death.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 06:57:48 am »

I think we were on to mermaid bones and Pirates! having accepted that economy will be a thing someday. Not sure we need yet another battle of the wall-of-texts on economics/politics...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:05 am »

I think we were on to mermaid bones and Pirates! having accepted that economy will be a thing someday. Not sure we need yet another battle of the wall-of-texts on economics/politics...
Yeah, this. Can you not, GC? Nobody wants another forum war, especially since the one in the thread next door just started to cool down.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:34 am »

Yeah, this. Can you not, GC? Nobody wants another forum war, especially since the one in the thread next door just started to cool down.

In the beginning was KT and GC.  GC made posts, but KT threw them down.  This angered GC, and he began to post more and more furiously.  Soon the posts were in all the boards of the forum, and still they did not rest, but, being trapped in the endless cycle of post and rebuttal they stayed forever, never leaving the forum.  And that, my son, is how we tell day from night.

On one hand, we've argued this before, on the other hand, is there a better thread for such an argument?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:07 am »

In the beginning was KT and GC.  GC made posts, but KT threw them down.  This angered GC, and he began to post more and more furiously.  Soon the posts were in all the boards of the forum, and still they did not rest, but, being trapped in the endless cycle of post and rebuttal they stayed forever, never leaving the forum.  And that, my son, is how we tell day from night.

On one hand, we've argued this before, on the other hand, is there a better thread for such an argument?
I think there was a thread on economics? AFAIK it did not end in flames.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:39 am »

I think there was a thread on economics? AFAIK it did not end in flames.
This one? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142045.0
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2 3