Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Decorating industry

(1/2) > >>

snow dwarf:
It's been really bugging me. I have my fort built on giant gold reserves and I'm planning on making all furniture out of gold. Now let's say I want to stud all of it with gold, encrust it with gems and decorate it with bones. What's the easiest way to set this up?

andrei901:
Finished goods stockpiles/furniture stockpiles that are set to give to your decorator workshops, as well as raw bone/gem/metal stockpiles linked to the same decorator. Then build about 3-4 jewelers workshops, 3-4 craftsdwarf workshops, and 3-4 forges for studding, and assign 8 dwarves to gem cutting setting, 8 to bone carving, and 8 to metalsmithing.

You don't *need* the stockpile links, but it makes it easier to encrust specific goods, as opposed to every single barrel. I have stockpiles for my metal/high value gem decorations, because I want to preferentially decorate expensive base materials, but I don't bother with stockpiling for my bone/stone gem decorations, because it's more training for decorators. I try to keep two dwarves per workshop to maintain throughput.

You can cut stone into gems at jewelers workshops, which is a good way to burn excess stone and train your gemcutters on cheap stuff before you start studding with your star ruby.

Sver:
I don't do decorating much, but iirc you cannot stud a metal item with the same metal. Going by your plan, though, forging gold items and then studding them with something else is more profitable than the other way around.

HumanScholar:
Most furniture takes three bars to forge, though, and studding only takes one. Unless you're making statues (base value 25) most furniture has the same base value as a decoration (10). So I think it's more efficient in terms of materials to stud with the gold and make the base item out of something more common.

Sver:
Fair enough. Even in the case of statues that's 6 bars vs 5 for the value of 50.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version