Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin turds, a spawn of Titan  (Read 1025 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin turds, a spawn of Titan
« on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:34 pm »

I need to edit one of these vermin to be like piles of stinky rubble.

It needs to be stationary though and it leaves a rocky floor tiles over grass and sand, after it's killed by other vermin and cats. Dwarf stone smoothers can take extra jobs smoothing them into the cracks. It could even clean vomit and other stains after it falls from a Titan, it might even kill when it breaks heads and necks and spines.

The only odd thing that might happen is to bring cats to a Titan war. A Titan fallen to the ground might end up burying itself in its Titanic waste.

Yo, the highurwood forests would be gravel pits, turning the savage forests into huge granite tree lands. Biome Titans might just granite the world. Huge trees in savage wastes.

This page says rocks isn't soil, so it would make great terrain for mountains Titan and forest Titan; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Soil
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:33:17 pm by Bob69Joe »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin turds, a spawn of Titan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 03:48:11 pm »

You want these "titan turd" vermin to spawn from titans? Like the RNG titans? Youd need dfhack to do both of those, because 1; i dont know of a way to spawn vermin without at least a reaction, and npcs in either mode of play wont perform reactions on their own whim, and 2) you cant modify the RNG titans at all without dfhack, so youd end up having to write your own titans and set the rng made ones to 0.

Theres the grasstrample tag that destroys a % of tiles with grass on them that the creature steps on, but i dont have a clue if that would work on vermin. It would only leave behind soil tiles, because without grass the tile reverts to its normal state, and grass cant grow on boulders or stone piles. And actually im not sure if vermin can be immobile too, they dont follow the movement rules real creatures do.

To actively change tile types accordingly would require dfhack too. To do this you wont just want to write a functioning "pile of shit" vermin but youll have to write a bunch of dfhack scripts to make them show up around titans, turn soil tiles into rock etc.

And keep in mind, creatures dont actually do anything off map, so titans wont go around turning everything to stone with their shit except when youre in the area with them/they attack your fort.

I could help you as you go as far as vermin go. You could start with the cave blob creature as an archetype, get rid of the materials and tissues its made of and borrow the tissue insert from the bronze colossus, and just change the "inorganic:bronze" to "filth_b:none" iirc. Check the wiki on that. Then youve got a single part blob shaped critter made of nothing but shit, and all you have to do is make sure you change all the names, remove its biome spawn info, and make it a vermin, and all the vermin tags are available on the creature tokens page of the wiki. Everything else youll need for the vermin critter should be there too.

The dfhack part, not a damn clue. I dont touch that stuff with a ten foot pole anymore, i always just broke things and made the game crash or just couldnt figure out how to get from a to b. Like actual scripting takes effort, and im lazy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:18:43 pm »

OK, it's helpful to know the limitations. I was also pondering if the Titan -- DFHack totally necessary as you've said -- might be able to rarely spawn a refuse object that looks like a stony ground tile, and eventually rots with a plume of stinky odor and permanently changes that tile to stony ground.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:18:32 pm »

A GLOB would probably be better than a vermin creature. You can even spatter globs with interactions.  You wouldn't be able to give the interactions to generated creatures without DFhack though.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 03:40:20 pm »

A GLOB would probably be better than a vermin creature. You can even spatter globs with interactions.  You wouldn't be able to give the interactions to generated creatures without DFhack though.

That sounds great for the diversity of Titan wastes, Forest Titans for instance would spawn great tree fodder, but I'd like to see refuse that changes tiles to something like rocky badlands with some soil access.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:42:05 pm by Bob69Joe »