Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Expeditionaries (Android/iOS)  (Read 5259 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expeditionaries (Android/iOS)
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 01:52:38 pm »

The (daily) tasks are very varied, I notice. As well as "X missions of <objective type>" and "Y missions on <map type>" I've been asked to spend/earn given amounts of of currency, buy/sell numbers of items, make a specified number of upgrades to mission/vendor stalls, and possibly some other sub-aims. The weekly task has (so far?) been an actual defined mission, but you have a basic freedom of the daily task to choose the manner of completion (or not to!) yet encourage ypu to perhaps do things that you haven't yet done.

(At the very least, if you're needing to spend 15,000+ money units on upgrading your much-upgraded crafting table another time, and don't have that, you could instead go for upgrading one of the mission-givers tbat you hadn't bothered much with until now, with somewhere around X,000 cost. It's not onerous, but it does make you consider getting out of any rut you're in. YMMV.)

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 07:08:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad to see you're still enjoying it :D - I'll look into the bugs and crashes in mountain areas (and the douse weirdness).

The weekly task has (so far?) been an actual defined mission
It's more of a weekly dungeon mission rather than a weekly task - should end up with the same seed on all phones (I hope - unsure if the rng will be the same, depends on Unity).

I should mention: I've finished making additions for now apart from bug fixes/easy refinements. I think the game needs a bit of an overhaul to engage players more, so if I return to it most likely it will be with a half sequel (mostly featuring a different approach to the 'meta' surrounding missions - the rough idea is some kind of island map with different areas you explore through, working your way towards a few important areas to do/collect things, then a boss area, then repeat in a somewhat roguelike fashion (probably with either carry over bonuses or map type/etc. unlocks)).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 09:56:11 pm »

After trying the game again I agree. My main problem is that I shoot, and then all I can do is choose which direction to shuffle in while I wait for my attack to cool down so I can shoot again. There's not much more to the combat, there's not much in the way of story, probably the most interesting part of the game is experimenting with crafting different stuff.

I think this is a great skeleton for a linear RPG, this game reminds me of Doom RPG WADs or old first person console RPGs and has that same charm:
- You could add a little meat to the combat by giving us more choices for movement and things to manage other than our attack cooldown, ways to control the crowd, distract enemies, more and different kinds of attack. Standing still and turning around and around to assess everything when I'm surrounded is actually a really cool feeling, now imagine if I had more options for how to pick apart an encounter, then it would give YOU more choices for constructing challenging ones!
- You could give us a linear story to go through! It seemed like you had a lot of fun making those riddles and taking great care with placing the NPCs and choosing their dialogue, I would love to interact with the NPCs in a more concrete way so I can keep visiting them and seeing how they change, and affecting the world. Classic RPG stuff.
- When it comes to the crafting and the inventory stuff, I did say it was the most interesting part but at the same time it's the least unique thing about your game and I would be totally ambivalent if it was gone. I don't know if there's a way to make this better other than to replace it with something different, but it does fit a lot with the gameplay loop you set up for Expeditionaries.

TL;DR: Not gonna play Expeditionaries anymore but I'm ready to play the next game you make
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:00:13 pm by Parsely »

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 09:29:41 pm »

After trying the game again I agree. My main problem is that I shoot, and then all I can do is choose which direction to shuffle in while I wait for my attack to cool down so I can shoot again. There's not much more to the combat, there's not much in the way of story, probably the most interesting part of the game is experimenting with crafting different stuff.

I think this is a great skeleton for a linear RPG, this game reminds me of Doom RPG WADs or old first person console RPGs and has that same charm:
- You could add a little meat to the combat by giving us more choices for movement and things to manage other than our attack cooldown, ways to control the crowd, distract enemies, more and different kinds of attack. Standing still and turning around and around to assess everything when I'm surrounded is actually a really cool feeling, now imagine if I had more options for how to pick apart an encounter, then it would give YOU more choices for constructing challenging ones!
- You could give us a linear story to go through! It seemed like you had a lot of fun making those riddles and taking great care with placing the NPCs and choosing their dialogue, I would love to interact with the NPCs in a more concrete way so I can keep visiting them and seeing how they change, and affecting the world. Classic RPG stuff.
- When it comes to the crafting and the inventory stuff, I did say it was the most interesting part but at the same time it's the least unique thing about your game and I would be totally ambivalent if it was gone. I don't know if there's a way to make this better other than to replace it with something different, but it does fit a lot with the gameplay loop you set up for Expeditionaries.

TL;DR: Not gonna play Expeditionaries anymore but I'm ready to play the next game you make

For combat - additions like that is something I've considered. As well as more weapon types, I've thought about adding a couple of additional action buttons you can fire off, things like some kind of lunge (which would be useful for crossing hazards), a knockback attack, lobbing a grenade, etc. Which actions you have would probably be controlled by one or two 'support' equipment slots. If I make a half-sequel, I'll have to include something like this.

Did you play through the main plot missions? (ends with the fire giant) Admittedly the plot is pretty thin, heh. I'd actually probably have less plot in any half-sequel, although on the other hand what you're doing would be more guided ('find the things, enter temple, fight boss' instead of 'do whatever' haha)

I'll probably leave the crafting mostly as-is (with some refinement on displaying what-does-what to make it more readable) - seems to do its job well, even if it's not a unique system :D

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »

Admittedly I didn't really get to much of the plot yeah... Either way it sounds like it'd be cool.

Combos that depend on enemy placement would be cool, that's a fun way to reward good positioning. Piercing attacks that go through groups, a lunge attack like you say that maybe lets you execute it multiple times as long as enemies are in range and you don't interrupt it by doing something else, AOEs, etc. That sounds awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3]