Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Virus?!?  (Read 3144 times)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Virus?!?
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:06:39 am »

Hello everyone. I just have a quick question for you. I decided to perform a scan with my premium version of Malware-bytes on my whole C: drive. Now, normally i would exclude my "Games" folder on the C: drive to save time but i decided to remove that exclusion. When i scanned 2 hits popped up and surprisingly enough they were in 2 older versions of the Lazy Newb Pack. I downloaded that pack from the DFFD which was linked off the main Lazy Newb Pack page on the forums. The versions are 42.06 Starter pack R04 and 43.05 Starter Pack R08. The path is leading to DwarfMockup-1.2.0.EXE on both versions. Malwarebytes lists the hit as Trojan.Swrort. I looked up Swrort and it appears to be a backdoor of some kind. Is this normal?

The file path is
"DWARF FORTRESS 0.42.06 STARTER PACK R04\LNP\UTILITIES\DWARF MOCKUP\DWARFMOCKUP-1.2.0.EXE" and
"DWARF FORTRESS 0.43.05 STARTER PACK R08\LNP\UTILITIES\DWARF MOCKUP\DWARFMOCKUP-1.2.0.EXE"

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
Re: Virus?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:44:28 pm »

Swrort is a code word for "program can update itself." It really isn't indicative of maliciousness.
Anyways, you can just not run that program, and the risk will be zero.
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virus?!?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:30:47 pm »

Swrort is a code word for "program can update itself." It really isn't indicative of maliciousness.
Anyways, you can just not run that program, and the risk will be zero.

Ok thanks. That's what i was curious about. I appreciate it.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.