Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naga/Lamia race  (Read 3416 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Naga/Lamia race
« on: October 26, 2018, 05:46:15 pm »

Here's a naga/lamia (males and females of the race respectively) race for DF 44.12
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's what you'll have to put in body_default to make it work.

This is the "gaits" they use.

If you find any bugs, tell me.

Yes, the gender-neutral race name is "snek" because funny.

Update 1:
-Sneks will no longer wear gloves/pants on their tail.

Update 2:
-Snek venom is stronger but has SIZE_DILUTES.

Update 3:
-Removed the tail grasp, apparently [LIMB] allows strangling.

Update 4:
-Finally added SNEK_GAITS to this post (sorry for not doing that before)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:07:39 am by UristMcVampire »
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naga/Lamia race
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:11:02 am »

I haven't checked in game, but won't TAIL_SNEK wear boots/socks/etc?  I took a look at how DF does snakes, and I don't think they even have stance parts.  They seem to stand up just fine without them, so you could probably just leave all stance parts out and it should work fine.

Also, if you fix that, it will mean that your naga/lamia tails cannot be protected, because grasp parts can only be armored by something on that part. Armor on other body parts cannot extend over it under any circumstances AFAICT.  I am going to copy paste the solution I gave someone else a while back...
Try adding another body part to the tail (call it tail grasp or something) and make it internal, small, default relsize one and add grasp to it, not your tail.  That way your tail will be armored as normal for a tail, and the hidden internal part is what actually does the carrying weapons bit.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:20:53 pm »

Thefriendlyhacker is correct, you don't actually need a stance part to stand. Most Dwarf Fortress organs are basically weaknesses. STANCE basically just lets the game know that a creature can't stand up if too many of these parts are damaged.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »

I haven't checked in game, but won't TAIL_SNEK wear boots/socks/etc?  I took a look at how DF does snakes, and I don't think they even have stance parts.  They seem to stand up just fine without them, so you could probably just leave all stance parts out and it should work fine.

Also, if you fix that, it will mean that your naga/lamia tails cannot be protected, because grasp parts can only be armored by something on that part. Armor on other body parts cannot extend over it under any circumstances AFAICT.  I am going to copy paste the solution I gave someone else a while back...
Try adding another body part to the tail (call it tail grasp or something) and make it internal, small, default relsize one and add grasp to it, not your tail.  That way your tail will be armored as normal for a tail, and the hidden internal part is what actually does the carrying weapons bit.

Did this
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 01:21:55 pm »

If you want their tails to be armored add tail armor to the game :P

Naga/Lamia race

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 02:43:30 pm »

Actually it's not for carrying weapons, it's really just so sneks can choke creatures with their tail.

Naga/Lamia race

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 11:39:57 pm »

You probably just want LIMB then. LIMB lets you grab, choke, take down and throw, GRASP is only needed for holding items, gouging, wearing gloves and other things that tails probably shouldn't be able to do.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:17:40 am »

You probably just want LIMB then. LIMB lets you grab, choke, take down and throw, GRASP is only needed for holding items, gouging, wearing gloves and other things that tails probably shouldn't be able to do.
Did this

Naga/Lamia race

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »

You know, you dont even need a new body part if youre just adding the limb tag, you can do that in the creature itself with the games preexisting tail body part.

Its the same tag that adds "geldable" to the lower bodies of mammals; just copy-paste that after the body is defined and where both castes are selected, and change it to add "limb" to the category "tail" instead.

Then you dont even need a new body definition, making the creature raw function off the vanilla body parts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.