Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: colonisation, dark lords, gods and heros  (Read 799 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
colonisation, dark lords, gods and heros
« on: October 28, 2018, 01:54:28 pm »

:)Hey this is a number of things that I think would be cool in the game. I don't know how viable they are... (Ive listed the most viable first)
Tell me how good or bad these ideas are...

1.Colonisation : send out parties of dwarfs to to found new settlements in other parts of the world
(and possibly to switch to new colony and let the original fort run itself)

2 alliances : settlements and civs have alliances with multiple other factions, and may gain things like economic bonuses and cultural mixing, or if a certain settlement is threatened allies will be called to help, and is possible to request aid from allies in times of need

3 sustained wars by factions : faction groups waging war with each other for land, for resources, for favour of their gods etc, for very powerful artefacts, out of natural enmity, cultural domination, or other reasons (eg. principles elves dislike nature being ruined).
also benevolent or malignant faction traits.

4.Live a dwarfs life : let the fortress develop automatically and you assume the role of a citizen with an adventure mode like view.
Or similarly you select a group of dwarfs and you see the story of their lives as they live, and you can read a record at daily scope or scope of whole life.

These are grander so I'm not sure how viable or appropriate,
I have not gone into any detail as its easier to talk of and harder to implement...

5. personalities : huge personalities within the world that have a say in what happens, and that the player would notice and know about

6. dark lords : antagonist villains like Saruman / or even Sauron of LOTR that take over parts of the world.

7. gods or similar entities / forces, that affect the mortal populations and shape events that happen.

8. heros : mortal entities that take part in story lines, or super champions that play a huge part in events and have fame in the world

9. living story-lines : I have no idea. But I think this is an aim in development of DF. If this is pulled off it will be gold all round.
(Custom written templates for chains of events that get triggered?, chains of events that link to form bigger chains? event chains that
merge or branch out? event chains designed to trigger and resolve? overall event-states of the land and world?)
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: colonisation, dark lords, gods and heros
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:34:57 pm »

It might be worth it for you to follow the development log, because I think most of this is planned already, and some of it might already be possible :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: colonisation, dark lords, gods and heros
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:59:56 pm »

6. dark lords : antagonist villains like Saruman / or even Sauron of LOTR that take over parts of the world.

ancient magic Artifacts with will, lost, hidden (in the river, in the sea, forests, unconscious) for example "the only ring" (LOTR). if found, they trigger wars and furious searches, the possibility of destroying them in various ways (inside the volcano LOTR example). they trigger strong imbalances in the world. truly rare event. they decide when to be found.

the war could change the laws of magic (change magic system in the conquered land )
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:19:08 am by compsognathus »