Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest from the space between worlds leading to "fun"  (Read 985 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
Interest from the space between worlds leading to "fun"
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:13:51 pm »

Since magic is now a planned thing I thought I might suggest this, Over time I've noticed a pattern I find in some fantasy material

Dungeon dimensions (discworld series by Terry Prachett): Home to half existing creatures that feed on and are attracted to magic at points of weak reality, they want to fully exist and be real. Generally monstrous, improbable forms and tentacle-y. They tend to invade the reality through your basic rip in the sky wormhole, by possessing wizards mind or more sneaky means.
(I think Mr Prachett was comically inspired by the Lovecraft books)

Todash Darkness (Stephen Kings Dark tower series etc) Something like the space between worlds inhabited by monstrous creatures. In the last book of
Dark tower series there is a creature from there with too many eyes and tentacles that chased the heros through a tunnel.

"Netherim" world : a sort of different dimension or world in Torchlight 2 game and "The Abyss" : from dead MMO I wont name.
creatures in the "worlds end" level/area from 'Magicka' game

I personally think it should be outworldy insect like stalking, walking, crawling and flying flitting creatures, or some such.
- - - -

So basically if there is a mechanic where something like a abuse or concentration of magic leads to merging with or opening to another plane or an invasion of horrifying creatures from another dimension, I think this would add greatly to the "fun" in the game. There obviously isnt enough weird hybrid creatures and hellish attacking demons in the game... :)

The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Interest from the space between worlds leading to "fun"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:06:02 pm »

Magic will be procgen, so the creatures and nature of dungeons will also be procgen.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 01:38:44 am »

Magic will be procgen, so the creatures and nature of dungeons will also be procgen.
Yes, magic will be procgen, but procgen isn't magic. Toady needs to actually decide his procgen Fun generators should be capable of creating evil dimensions lurking in the Space Between before such things happen. If he doesn't think of it, it won't. Therefore suggestions forum.

So long as, of course, people understand that what they're suggesting will never be simply copied into the game.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:40:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:18:34 am »

Alternatively to an objective space, a dimension that is subjectively shared by all creatures via mental link through dreams or shared aspirations. The Fade/Shroud/Dreamsleeve/Faewild/Whathaveyou would be breached on a regular basis by mortals and cause spooky dimensional stuff to leak in to the real world around them, while particularly powerful sorts might be able to visit the realm themselves, stealing dreamworld artifacts that more strongly embody the spheres of the world than any mere physical object can or possibly just living there to get away from trouble at home.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »

Just pointing out that the Nether / Upside Down would make for a good LATE-game challenge, but horrible in the early years of Fort mode, and making possible breaches obvious to the player runs the very real risk of being noticeably artificial and cheesy.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.