Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Navigation and conversations while blind, obstructed, and blindfolded  (Read 963 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Right now, interacting with creatures you can't see is pretty limited. You can hear the general location of movement and fighting but that's it.  Due to the way conversation works you can only talk to someone while you can see them or if you are standing on top of them, which is silly.

I'd suggest the following changes:

If you hear someone talking, an icon indicates their location for a few ticks even if you can't see them.  You can respond to this to start a conversation with that person.

If you are in a conversation with someone, you can talk to them even if you can't see them.

Instead of "shout out to everyone", you can talk in a general direction. This can start a conversation with someone you can't see if they are close to that point.

Also, you should be able to attack in a direction you can't see. Probably not with much accuracy, but still.

With additional options given to blind characters, I'd also suggest adding in blindfolds once the ability to take prisoners becomes a thing.

With the magic update, I'm guessing there will be monsters or artifacts that can cause effects if you look at them, like Gorgons or hypnotic attacks? It would be a nice touch if you could close your eyes.

Blind sense could also be an acquired skill, allowing you to pinpoint, identify and fight things you can't see. (Closing your eyes or wearing a blindfold could help you train this so you could fight invisible enemies.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Navigation and conversations while blind, obstructed, and blindfolded
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:14:13 am »

Blind sense could also be an acquired skill, allowing you to pinpoint, identify and fight things you can't see. (Closing your eyes or wearing a blindfold could help you train this so you could fight invisible enemies.)
Spoiler: Made me think of this (click to show/hide)

Might need some complex/fudged mechanics, but there's the trope applied to caves (also canyons, ruins, 'whispering galleries', etc) of sounds from others (friends or foe) drifting over to where you are devoid of any obvious origin and/or disproportional to either direct or walkable distances. Strange enticing calls for help, scuttlings that seem to reverb from all around, communications with the 'cell next door' by voice or tapping away in code, the attempt to reunite two equally-lost explorers after separation in a labyrinth, etc.

It could easily be made more complicated. Though the initial idea of mere sightlessness (for whatever reason) still presenting a(n initially) vague '?' source for an attempt at communication would be a start.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:12:32 pm »

I guess for circumstances where the origin of the sound was not apparent, you could simply go the shout out to everyone route.

Also this would be good for pitch-black caves, once lighting becomes a thing.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:20:23 pm »

I've always figured Blindfighting should be a learnable skill (especially for those who are literally blind), and make sure to take into account bonuses for creatures with better senses of hearing/smell/possible ESP, and penalties for those using thrusting weapons.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.