Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant waves are preposterously large  (Read 2058 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Migrant waves are preposterously large
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:20:17 am »

There should not be 20+ migrants in a caravan breaking down my border wall at once. There's no way to vet them, assign them new roles. They're just going to collect welfare in the party room.

But seriously please wind back migrant waves or have a Papers, Please screen where this can be done without waiting impatiently at the screen trying to tag them as they run past. My fort went from 75 to 99 in one go. I can't sustain that. I haven't even finished making rooms for the last 25 that joined the prior season.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:22:20 am by Iban »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant waves are preposterously large
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:29:13 am »

Migrant mechanics will be completely revamped during Starting Scenarios to be based more upon the relationship between your site and others. So, might not be anything soon assuming the usual 'don' t add a placeholder when it'll just have to be replaced' routine (not always true of course, just a general trend).

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:09:28 am »

There should not be 20+ migrants in a caravan breaking down my border wall at once. There's no way to vet them, assign them new roles. They're just going to collect welfare in the party room.

But seriously please wind back migrant waves or have a Papers, Please screen where this can be done without waiting impatiently at the screen trying to tag them as they run past. My fort went from 75 to 99 in one go. I can't sustain that. I haven't even finished making rooms for the last 25 that joined the prior season.

Just make more carpenters, masons and miners.  They also turn up with their roles already assigned according to their skills, I go through them to turn on certain skills I don't want there to be a division-of-labour about (masonry, mechanics, carpentry, fish cleaning, herbalism, planting).  Then when it's done, it is done forever. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »

In the meantime, Dwarf Therapist lets you sort by migrant wave.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »

without waiting impatiently at the screen trying to tag them as they run past. My fort went from 75 to 99 in one go. I can't sustain that.
zoom to location, pause, view the migrants skills, assign skills, unpause, when dorf shows up pause again, continue this

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »

For some time, Migrants were used as a source of difficulty. That might be revamped in the current war arc.

Definitely something to consider for changes/balancing.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:41 pm »

Some players limit incoming migrants by lowering their data/init/d_init.txt POPULATION_CAP value, then they increase it each time they are ready for more population (save and reload the fort for the new value to take effect).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:59:56 pm »

For some time, Migrants were used as a source of difficulty. That might be revamped in the current war arc.

Definitely something to consider for changes/balancing.
Yes. In Starting Scenarios. I mean, he might change his mind, move the plans which he has for Starting Scenarios into the current arc (Big Wait for the Big wait!) or he may well add placeholders. But last statements were Starting Scenarios. Which, since he said it, means he has actually considered it.

In the meantime, use any of the simple workarounds (that these work just fine for now indicates the lack of need for placeholders).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 05:01:52 pm »

75 to 99 isn't even much of a change. I've had second waves that sent my population from something like 20 to 50. It's kind of a big problem.

The good news is, the migrants don't have many existing family members or friends (ie, people who would miss them), so the good ol' migrant sorter (formerly a drawbridge over a chasm, now over a spike pit or magma or whatever) can temporarily help with your problems. Plus, it creates more jobs in the shape of ghost busters. And possibly terrify people enough to slow migration for a short period of time. It's win-win (it isn't, I'm joking).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:31:07 pm »

Exiling is also possible in recent releases.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 04:06:49 pm »

If tagging and sorting is the problem (and not just the numbers of new mouths to feed), then simply looking at the |U|nits screen could help you out.  For at least a day or two after the last migrant has arrived their activity will be listed as "new arrival," allowing you to easily identify them.

There is also Dwarf Therapist as mentioned.

I use POPULATION_CAP in d_init, myself.  It's quite good these days and will even limit population to the starting seven if that is what is desired.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:37:02 pm by Blucher »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 07:19:16 pm »

If tagging and sorting is the problem (and not just the numbers of new mouths to feed), then simply looking at the [U]nits screen could help you out.  For at least a day or two after the last migrant has arrived their activity will be listed as "new arrival," allowing you to easily identify them.
Unfortunately you can't edit labors from the units screen (without DFHack,) and the cursor won't hold it's position while you go and zoom to each dwarf.

The worst thing, though, is when you think you've got them all, and then a few more trickle in sneakily. A month later, "There's nothing to catch in the eastern swamp!"

What I do is give everyone custom profession names, so I can tell that anyone with a default profession hasn't be processed yet. Stonecrafters are instead just "Stonecraft". Weaponsmiths are just "Weapons". Et cetera.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:31:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:52:29 pm »

Well I certainly wouldn't argue that the UI doesn't need a lot of work.

Trying to be helpful, before I started using DT (or when I can't) I would make use of custom profession names like "-Hauler-" or "+Soldier+" or whatever.  Just to see which dwarves I've attended to.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 03:09:42 am »

You could always build a really big wall to keep them out, with a magma moat... And make the elves pay for it :)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!