Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallout: Tandor, a Pokemon Uranium playthrough  (Read 4245 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallout: Tandor, a Pokemon Uranium playthrough
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »

i've been wanting to put this on Bay12 for a long time.

Pokemon Uranium is still alive and kicking so following this latest update i've decided to put a new run (no Nuzlocke, i cannot bear such stuff). this will be a more graphical gameplay thread compared to my EVE Online text-only adventure so at least you can see my progress this time.

hope you enjoy reading my misadventures until the end of the gameplay (well at least he current endgame taking in account there's still some post main storyline stuff missing).

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Tandor, a Pokemon Uranium playthrough
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »

Introduction:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so the adventure starts like in all pokemon games. we are greeted by Tandor's main expert in Pokemon, Prof. Ernest Bamb'o. he's specially interested in Pokemon Types, a chill dude, pretty young for the age of the usual Pokemon Professor but he fits the shoes (or sandals/flipflops in this case).

anyways so after signing the papers for the assistant job we get to choose our character. this time im going with the male character but there's also female and non-binary.

and now we get the introductory scenes. for those that dont know about the story i dont want to spoil much so for now i have these two shots, the character's parents are a Pokemon Ranger and a Nuclear Scientist. these two topics are more or less a big part of the story but there's some other things in between.

so with this we start the introductions to the adventure.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:13:51 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 12:10:13 am »

The Start

this is more or less the typical pokemon start. due to the background story the main character doesnt live with their parents, instead they are taken care of by their great aunt which has gotten quite old already so the player has to resort into becoming a trainer early in life. to celebrate the start of the adventure our auntie gifts us with the Sport Shoes.

we get out of house to look for the Pokemon Lab. this is Moki Town, the starter town in the game. its located in the western side of West Tandor (yes, there's an East Tandor), close to some other 3 towns. pretty calm place to raise family and stuff.

this is Cameron Caine, he's the father of our rival and another prominent figure in the story. he also gives us the Pokepod once we finish the Pokemon Lab introduction. the Pokepod is well, the typical additional tool we get in the Gen2/Gen3 games, it provides limited replayability with some trainers, plays music, shows the map, and i think it later on gets the PokeRadar functionality. cant remember well.

so we met the father, now we meet the children. this is Theo, our rival in the adventure. much like in Gen1 and Gen2 we get a single rival, kind of a turnoff seeing that there could be space for all 4 (Theo the main rival, Vitor the male character, Natalie the female character and Pluto the non binary character) but oh well. Theo is a bit hot headed and childish but its normal taking in account he is much younger than the player.

we arrive to the lab and are greeted by Prof. Bamb'o who test the aspiring assistants with a "Personality Quiz" in order to choose which starter would be the most fitting for each trainer.

i have a tendency to go for the grass starter in every Pokemon game so of course i would choose the right answers to get Orchynx. this little green cat is also one of the best tanks in the game not only because of its typing (Grass/Steel) but also for its main hability and Leech Seed from the start.

unlike the main games, our rival in Uranium has bad luck and ends getting the start with the type disadvantage. in this case he gets Eletux which is Water/Electric. this doesnt stops Theo from challenging you after receiving each one its own pokemon in the lab, i just let him win because come on, he's gona get shit on the rest of the game (in theory, because he becomes quite the trainer, its just that the progression demands him to loose).

after having the talk with the professor about letting our little friend to win his first fight we return to Cameron to receive the PokePod and then go to the outskirt of town to learn how to catch pokemon (no video version like in the main games). Prof. Bamb'o in this case makes the example by using the starter that didnt get picked, in this case is Raptorch which is Fire/Ground and one of the fastest picks in the game, albeit it get its issues to advance early (much like Charmander).

after finishing the little event we get the Pokedex and a set of Pokeballs to start collecting creatures and putting them in virtual boxes. but im gonna leave that for the next update. see you in Route 1 and the next town.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:18:55 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:09:41 pm »

Route 1 - Lakeside Path and Kevlar Town:

the Lakeside path is the road that connects Moki and Kevlar towns. its a 2 parts route of forest and a small lake. our first trainer battles start in the simple path that leads to the end of the forest but before that we have to go catching more pokemon.

these are the first species we find in the game. Chyinmunk was originally intended to be a mix between the regular rodent and the pikachu style monster (that was later changed with the addition of another electric rodent) but its evolution is still pretty good IMO but for now its just your regular rodent with Normal typing (and Pickup which i also find usefull). Cubbug is the basic bug type of this region, its Pokedex entry calls it "The Love Bug Pokemon" so it gets some crazy mixes of Fairy and Bug movesets, if properly trained this little thing can become a substancial boost to your party but i dont want to go with it this time. Birbie is your defacto Normal/flying avian, as it design implies its a Paradise Bird and as a bonus is the only pokemon in Uranium (that i remember) that can learn HM5 (Flash), so if you dont really like walking in the "dark" well this little birb can help you light the path, plus its evolution line is really pretty and gets some cool moves.

Route 1 is also the firt place where we get the first re-fightable trainer, a Youngster nonetheless. Uranium really likes to put leveling into a grind so we're gonna have to resort to beating up these trainers as they drop way more EXP than wild Pokemon. i didnt take a photo of Richey's pokemon but it will appear in the next update as this species is one of the first Water types you can find at the start of the game, just need an Old Rod to get it.

with this considered and the items obtained we make the short walk to Kevlar Town. much like the rest of this part of Tandor the town is located in a pretty calm spot, being the passing town towards Nowtoch City which is built deep into a side of Mt. Actinite. we meet the pokemon center and replenish our pokeball stock at the mart. then check the surrounding parts.

there's a Bike Shop where we can obtain transportation but first we have to find a wheel somewhere. there's also a Berry Shop at the end of the town, the owner provides us with some samples of the exotic berries that grow in the region, albeit these are found exclusively in the Baykal Rainforest that we wont visit until much later in the run.

with this we finish today's update.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »

Route 2 - Owten Nook and Passage Cave:

the mountainous passage (or canyon?, cant really tell) that connects Kevlar Town with Nowtoch City is called "Owten Nook" due to being one of the nesting grounds of this particular pokemon. due to being close to the mountain the region is home to some unique species accompanied from the local common pokemon like Chyinmunk or Birbie.

i was lucky to find Owten on the first try, cant remember if its because of the day/night cycle which is present in the game. Owten is the second Normal/Flying species of this game, it was originally considered some sort of mix to cover the roles of the usual regular Normal type and Flying type thus we get this Owl + Cat combination, its cute and it gets cool moves later on as its not limited solely to Flying type moves, it can also learn some key Normal type moves too like Hyper Voice.

Mankey is the first example of Official Pokemon in the game. Tandor as a region not only contains a large list of endemic species but also houses several known species from different corners of the Pokemon World right from Gen1 to Gen6. the only sad part is that we cannot get a National Dex as it would mean a lot of extra development work.

in general Route 2 is low on trainer activity and its very straight forward, however, a landslide has disrupted the direct path to Nowtoch so we have to take the old part of the route which means crossing the Passage Cave. this provides an opportunity to meet and catch some of the peculiar denizens of the Tandorian underground.

Tonemy is one of the first to appear when traversing the cave and its the equivalent of Zubat in this region. this annoying ball of fur and poison doesnt do much against Orchynx due to being inmune to its type attacks so its an easy catch and escape. one thing to note though is that Tonemy gets a substantial change when evolves and becomes one of the most bizarre and top heavy Poison Types in the game.

Grozard is another typical case of convergent evolution in Tandor. this small land snake pokemon covers the niche of Diglett, its size may not be menacing but it learns powerfull Ground Type moves as it grows.

Dunsparce is the second Official Pokemon to be found and quite rare compared to the other species in the cave. not much to say about it outside of being pretty tanky, however, this game converts this otherwise unremarkable pokemon into a monster if trained to the fullest.

finally, we have Barewl. like the rest of the mentioned native species, this pokemon converges with an species of distant regions, Geodude in this case. Barewl differs from it due to its typing, being Rock/Steel,  making it impervious to damage from most of the enemies found at this point in the adventure save for Ground, Fighting or Water types and earning it its title of the "Iron Ball Pokemon". as with the rest too,  this little and heavy piece of rough metal that looks straight outta Adventure Time will grow and polish into one of the most popular picks in the Uranium community, not so much for trainer battles but because of its Type advantage in the adventure.

the passage isnt as long as one thinks but its still a 2 zones locations full with encounters and scattered items. i like to catch all pokemon avaliable and then advance with repels to ease travel. after fighting with all the trainers inside the cave our Orchynx has arrived to lvl 11 and its more or less ready for the 1st gym, having just learned Vine Whip to booth.

but for now we have just arrived to Nowtoch City, and will take a rest before delving into challenging an old champion of the region.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:45:38 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:08 pm »

Nowtoch City Gym and The Way Back to Moki Town:

before being able to tackle at the gym we have a little situation in the town, turns out the leader is actually at home. we got to reach to her thanks to the help of an overly attached fan. the truth is that Gym Leader Maria is a retired champion of the Tandor League, and she doesnt want anything to do with the fame and glory of having been in the top so she just chills out at home and tries to just deal with the local gym work.

after the little issue with the fan we are given access to the 1st Gym. Orchynx is our sole combatant for now as im still waiting for more diverse pokemon to fill up the team but his tankiness is more than enough to tackle all the Normal types that are trown in the way. Maria was a champion of the league and focused on Normal types with such prowess that her Feleng got to evolve early. this staple of having a final pokemon will be found in all the Gym Leaders of Uranium, with their own music theme and everything.

as for Felunge, i'll give details about it once we catch its pre-evolution in Route 3. we finally beat Maria thanks to the power of sustain and high defense then get our TM and register the badge in the trainer's card. but things havent finished here in Nowtoch.

just before we get on Route 2 again Theo arrives and challenges us after knowing that we got the 1st badge. his team has grown to 2 pokemon but the overgrowth in lvl of Orchynx disposes of his whole team quickly. its pretty sad, but the boy is doing well in expanding his type options. he didnt only come for the 1st Gym tho as note from Prof. Bamb'o arrives with the HM06 "Rock Smash" that we will need in order to reach towards the next location.

after fighting and registering a new trainer in the way back, we get the help of a Pokemon Ranger, reaching the help of the nearby mountain pokemon in order to take care of the landslide. the road between Kevlar and Nowtoch is free to traverse now. from here, we cross Kevlar and go on the second part of Route 1, but first we have to stop by in a cottage by the river.

in the cottage lives a guy that gifts us with the Old Rod and now we can fish for some extra pokemon that were missing at the start. Magikarp is the first to appear, a classic encounter with this item, this pokemon is as seemingly useless as always but its evolution has an extra card in this game. the other catch you can get with this rod is Fortog, a native species of ponds and small water bodies, and the main pokemon of Youngster Richey. Fortog is a dual type Poison/Water which is close to a fusion between Poliwag and Croagunk as it can learn punching attacks on top of water and other good poison moves.

the way back contains one last trainer to register. Fisherman Brandon has a duet of these 2 last pokemon and will prove one of the best EXP givers in the late game. these four first trainers will probably be the bread and butter of lvling once we get to the 2nd Gym.

after finishing with the rest of the trainers in the road we finally return to Moki Town and are greeted by Prof. Bamb'o who is looking to know about the current progress with the Pokedex, apart of giving a rare candy for the first 10 species registered and giving the info about whats next in the road from here.

Burole Town is our next destination in the adventure, but first we have to cross Route 3.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:30:29 pm »

im currently doing Route 3 but other stuff has goten me busy so no posts for a while.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:36:27 pm »

Route 3 - Seabreeze Way

compared to Routes 1 and 2, the Seabreeze Way is way longer and runs all around the southern coast of Tandor. this place is mostly composed of forest/jungle and some freshwater bodies bordering the coast and as such is expected to house mostly tropical species on its bushes and fishing spots.

outside of being a nesting spot for Owten and being a typical location for Mankey, Route 3 houses at least 4 uncommon species at this point of the game. Smore is a monotype Bug with a fire type theme, its the first of a series of elemental bugs that can be found all along the first part of the game. in fact, Uranium has quite the variety in terms of Bugs, with a good amount of combinations that may not or may have not existed in the official Pokedex during the development of the game.

Feleng is an species already seen at the start of the game but never found in the wild until now. this tabby cat  is used by Maria, the 1st Gym Leader and is a monotype Normal during its whole evolutionary line. this doesnt mean it only learns normal moves however, as it grows, it eventually learns some Fighting type moves and contains 2 evolutions contrary to most felines in the official games.

Lotad is the next official pokemon found, there's no need for introductions here as its more or less the same as in any other region (allthought perhaps it still has Gen VI movs and stats). Buizel is another familiar encounter in this region (Tandor is based more or less on Brazil and i think some parts of Europe so it makes sense for Otters/Weasels to be here), however, it has a 1% chance to appear so its pretty damn hard to get it, most people wont probably see it until late game.

Route 3 isnt only a long path filled with tall grass. there's also a lot of trainers distributed along the forest and beach parts with our next refightable trainer being a Bug Catcher. while Orchynx has gone close to lvl 20, its still vulnerable to some of the pokemons used by trainers here (mostly the Smores) so i had to resort to buizel as alternative in some matches. im not too sold on keeping it in the team as i could save space for a dual type compared to it monotype Water. but necessity demanded it.

after using the 2 repels i got along the way we finally reached Burole Town. not much to say about this place save for the apparent egocentrism of the people living here, they consider it the best place around compared to Nowtoch City and the other mountain towns in the far west.

stay tuned for the next update where we get to check some new species in Route 4 while preparing for the 2nd Gym. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:38:22 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »

Burole Town Gym and Route 4 Prelude

We could easily have used Orchynx to win and keep going but i dont like the approach of leveling only 1 pokemon. i prefer to take the time and train a team, sometimes having different pokemon in the process. thus we went the extra mile and reached Route 4 early in order to catch new additions to the team.

Route 4, also called Baa Grassland is composed of a long elevated plain which is cut by the river that courses trough the Baykal Rainforest. in fact, this route has the entrance to that zone but we cannot reach to it yet. the plain is connected by a bridge and has its own beaches on the eastern side, with the northern part being also connected with Route 5 via surfing which is also unavaliable at this point of the game.

the diversity of species on this route is higher than in Route 3, only Ekans is a familiar encounter here while the rest is native species. Jerbolta is the actually official electric rodent of this region, having taking the spot that was originally given to Chyinmunk, unlike Pikachu however, Jerbolta is a single stage dual type Electric/Ground monster with an emphasis on speed. Brailip is another regular catch from the Old Rod that starts appearing from this route and so on, its a dual type Psychic/Water with a pretty bulky constitution once evolved.

if Chyinmunk is more closer to a Rattata or Zigzagoon, then Tancoon is like the Poochyena of this region, its a fairly common dual type Dark/Normal based on the Racoon Dog (albeit its evolution is more wolf-like). Pahar is the second bird pokemon we find in the game and one of the popular picks in most fanarts of Uranium, its a dual type Fire/Flying which is pretty usefull when starting due to the lack of fire types apart of Raptorch. finally we have Sponee which is the second elemental bug we find, and as its color befits, it can learn water type moves.

i chose Pahar and Sponee as combatants for this stage, mostly because of their typing and the moves they learn at this lvl. since they were supposed to be catched after fighting the 2nd Gym, they are in the range of lvl 12-14, so it only took some extra fights to make them ready. in this case it only required the Gym Trainers and helping some kids in the Trainer School at Burole. this Gym has a puzzle before being able to reach the leader, a good part of the Gyms in Uranium have these kind of challenges.

apart of the puzzles, many of the Uranium Gyms follow a specific thematic rather than being based on a single type so players are required to be ready to cover different encounters. Burole's Gym is managed by Davern who is specialized on Cavern Pokemon and much like Maria, he has an evolved pokemon as final match. Tofurang is the evolved form of Tonemy and is pretty bulky once it grows, due to having catched pokemon in the close lvl it only took some regular hits from Pahar and Sponee to chunk its health but even Orchynx had to throw extra Metal Claws to take it down. so the purple hippo isnt to be taken lightly.

anyways, we beated the gym and got another badge and TM. i also took the time to visit Dr. Bamb'o to claim the 20 Species reward but it was just a PP Up, it will take the 30 Pokemon mark to get something usefull but that will be later on. Route 4 and the Comet Cave are waiting for the next update.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:45 pm »

Route 4 - Baa Grassland and Comet Cave

So as it was mentioned in the previous update, we had to look for the next route early on to get some team members in order to beat the current gym. Now that we have finished with Burole Town we finally advance properly into Route 4. Baa Grassland is a pretty long zone, with a bridge running up north and the entrance to the Baykal Rainforest in the west (we'll show it later). There's only one rematchable trainer in the form of Sr. Goldkorn who is a pretty dignified fellow.

We had already seen which species can be found on the grassland and the coast but this time we got lucky and a shiny Ekans decided to show up in the way. this little girl came up with Modest nature which could come handy for breeding later on, this is the first shiny on this run so im going to keep it but im currently debating in if we should keep it for the adventure or just put it in the PC.

In addition to the shiny pokemon we find a Bike Wheel which is the missing item to obtain the Bike from the guy in Kevlar Town. not much to say about this except that we may revisit the place later on to claim it as the Sport Shoes are pretty fine at their job right now.

After finishing with the trainers in the route we finally reach Comet Cave. this place gets its name due to being the home of a pretty unusual pokemon which is said to have arrived in an asteroid. Theo has gotten first to the place but turns out that the pokemon inside the cave have become startled and trainers are being obligued to come in groups in order to evade getting overrun inside. we team up with Theo and cross the cave just before getting into a little obstacle.

Turns out that the pokemon in the cave have gotten displaced due to a Terlard having a discussion with itself. this pokemon is the evolved form of Grozard and due to some mutation it develops a second head, both heads tend to fight with each other from time to time and this usually causes a lot of mayhem in the surrounding. instead of wasting pokeballs trying to catch it we simply subdue him to calm him down. Sponee was surprizingly good at this match albeit it got fainted before being able to do the final hit, to finish it we used Pahar which was able to get enough experience to reach lvl 19 and evolve into Palij.

With Terlard calmed the pokemon in the cave resume their usual behaviors and people can now freely move around the cave. Theo ran back to the entrance when seeing the creature but he will be fine. the next passage is pretty devoid of activity and we finally reach Route 5 which connects to our next destination. before finishing with this post i decided to get back into the cave and find the missing pokemon.

Comet Cave is pretty unremarkable save for its color palette resembling the Meteor Falls of Hoenn. among its species are Tonemy, Dunsparce, Grozard and Fortog. however, its the main place where you can find Comite which is the second Rock type we find in the adventure and which has a pretty cool evolutionary line.

With this i finish this update, stay tuned for what is waiting in Route 5 and beyond.