Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What token causes embarrassment from nudity?  (Read 2823 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
What token causes embarrassment from nudity?
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:44:25 am »

It's not entity [CLOTHING] and it's not entity [PERMITTED_JOB:CLOTHIER]. Can negative thoughts from nudity not be removed?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What token causes embarrassment from nudity?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:49:18 am »

I think they cannot be removed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:54 pm »

If [PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:0:0:20] doesn't remove the thought, it should at the very least reduce the severity of it.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:41:19 pm »

I think it's the [INTELLIGENT] token. Or [CAN_LEARN] probably. There's a DFhack script to remove that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:23:58 pm »

I think it's the [INTELLIGENT] token. Or [CAN_LEARN] probably. There's a DFhack script to remove that.
To remove the embarrassment or just the intelligence?
My hobbits suffer from severe embarrassment due to a lack of shoes. Will try reducing their bashfulness too. Or give them ribbons to tie into their foot-hair. That might work...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »

You can't remove embarrassment from sapient species, but negative thoughts are tied to specific body part tokens, and if you remove those tokens the bad thoughts won't apply.  The relevant tags are UPPERBODY, LOWERBODY, and STANCE (although you do need an UPPERBODY part at least).

If you make custom feet body parts without the STANCE tag, your hobbits will not have a problem going without shoes and indeed will not be able to wear them.  The only problem with this is that they will also not fall over if their legs or feet are injured.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:42:14 pm »

doesn't this call for an overhaul by Toady?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »

doesn't this call for an overhaul by Toady?
Or just a little extra modding support. Worth a suggestion as it'd surely be quicker and easier.

Something might come up when primitive animal person tribes are introduced. I suspect at that point there will be more granular cultural modifiers whereby nudity isn't necessarily a source of embarrassment.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:11 am »

and IRL embarassment from nudity usually only happens in the presence of strangers - close friends and family usually isn't a problem (for most creatures).
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:21:56 am »

and IRL embarassment from nudity usually only happens in the presence of strangers - close friends and family usually isn't a problem (for most creatures).
Well, where I come from nudity in front of your close friends and workmates is still kind of frowned upon (if they're fully clothed of course. We'll happily jump into a bath or sauna with each other).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:20:19 am »

Well, where I come from nudity in front of your close friends and workmates is still kind of frowned upon (if they're fully clothed of course. We'll happily jump into a bath or sauna with each other).
well and it is different when everyone is naked - also i would feel "naked" in shorts when strangers in full body armour approached me, while feeling completely comfortable in shorts with everyone else wearing swinwear at the pool.
i'd still not feel naked for my feet being exposed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 07:44:07 am »

well and it is different when everyone is naked - also i would feel "naked" in shorts when strangers in full body armour approached me, while feeling completely comfortable in shorts with everyone else wearing swinwear at the pool.
i'd still not feel naked for my feet being exposed.
My hobbits specifically feel embarrassed for having no shoes, not for being nude. Which is a cultural thing. With no range of cultural norms in the game right now, it's assumed that bare feet is a lack of something as opposed to a lifstyle choice.

But yeah, an animal person naked tribesman might start to feel embarrassed after living in a human town for years yet remaining naked. Or perhaps his strong sense of cultural values will keep him from feeling that way (same the other way around too, only with religous teachings stepping in to complicate matters). Lots to be considered when culture is implemented.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 10:17:36 am »

My hobbits specifically feel embarrassed for having no shoes

Hmm. One of the custom races I had, was Beastmen, you know, a bit like satyrs, in having hooves, rather than feet. And as such, wouldn't really make a great deal of sense for their native civilisation making boots or shoes.

an animal person naked tribesman might start to feel embarrassed after living in a human town for years yet remaining naked. Or perhaps his strong sense of cultural values will keep him from feeling that way

In a tavern in the town...

Barmaid: "You do realise you're not wearing clothes, right ?"
Visiting animal person: "My people have no need for them"
Barmaid: "But people can see your thingies"
Visiting animal person: "Well, that's their own fault for looking at them, isn't it ?"

Some years later...

Resident animal person: "I got a funny look from old Mrs Urist just now"
Barmaid: "It's probably because you're not wearing clothes and she saw your thingies"
Resident animal person: "Oh my god, I'm NaKeD! Aaaaaah!"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 10:51:41 am »

well, that would rather be as they settle there, that they put on clothes as to not get those looks and they start feeling embarassed when naked, so they don't suddenly realise being naked, but it grows on them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:53 pm »

I remember horses wearing shoes in devlog. Also the image of a snakeman with a single shoe over his whole tail will haunt me forever.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository