Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 391

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 471775 times)

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #2145 on: September 18, 2020, 11:36:07 am »

Add the person below me to Dwarf Fortress... as a material.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 18, 2020, 11:48:00 am »

Lordbaalnite?

A hard mineral made up of poverty, stress and depression?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 18, 2020, 12:33:40 pm »

(I resisted claiming the honour...)

The person below me enters the Dictionary files, the next two below them become mutually opposing Spheres.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 18, 2020, 12:42:41 pm »

All creatures become materials and vice versa.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 18, 2020, 01:19:36 pm »

All creatures become materials and vice versa.

All creatures are made out of an appropriate material, and all materials are mineable.  So necromancers are made out of necromancy, which you can dig out of a necromancy mine.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:05 pm »

Actually needing a specific, scare mineral to make magic sounds kind of cool.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 18, 2020, 04:57:03 pm »

Actually needing a specific, scare mineral to make magic sounds kind of cool.

That can be cool in fiction however in something like DF it would be too constraining. If the stuff was a mineral that you get from digging deep, then how would Elf or Kobold magic work? Elves should have their whole magic based on mixing stuff from the forest, for example.

Well you could say that all magical things have that stuff in them, for example unicorns would have it in their horns and evil biomes would be infused with the stuff. But then it's more like pure backstory and not an actual game mechanic. Might as well be midichlorians at that point.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 18, 2020, 06:47:39 pm »

Elf get it from trees that grow in places were the mineral is near the surface.

Kobold steal it from everyone else.

Or maybe different kind of special materials give off different kind of magics.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 18, 2020, 08:43:48 pm »

Well, you often get thinly-disguised (or not disguised at all *cough*) different-elemental-affinity variation between civs of various kinds/sub-kinds.

Sometimes they do it with Humans (or viewer-surrogate humans[1]) as JOAT/unaligned/equipotently-mediocre and then cast 'elementals' to create points of interest/need.

Being Dwarf Fortress, we'd see dwarves as the average. Elves more Earth/Black Bile (or Wood) aligned, Humans more Water/Phlegm (or Earth?), etc. The exact fitting depends upon who you include and therefore which particular mythologies (both elemental and racial) you try to fit to.

[1] Your starship is mostly filled with Central Casting types, but the bridge-crew and handy-secondary-stations-like-Engineering get notable minorities (Earthly, alien, artificial) that represent a hyper-example of one of the four(/five/whatever)-elements, humors or similar. And the Fellowship Of The Ring does it in nine 'elements'
(one example of where they gain their personal powers... Frodo: Heart; Sam: Earth; Gandalf: Light; Legolas: Wood; Gimli: Stone; Aragorn: Fire; (<- or vice-versa? ->) Boromir: Ice; Merry: Wisdom; Pippin: Knowledge   ...but you could argue about these extensively, and do it with most tropey-nines you could conceive.)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:40:31 am by Starver »

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 18, 2020, 09:11:12 pm »

unicorns would have it in their horns

Always wondered how a women can give birth to horse, but never thought about the conception.
Guess they really want to make sure to pierce that hymen, eh?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 19, 2020, 04:39:31 am »

Frodo: Heart; Sam: Earth; Gandalf: Light; Legolas: Wood; Gimli: Stone; Aragorn: Fire; (<- or vice-versa? ->) Boromir: Ice; Merry: Wisdom; Pippin: Knowledge
And with their powers combined they can summon Captain Planet?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 19, 2020, 04:53:01 am »

Frodo: Heart; Sam: Earth; Gandalf: Light; Legolas: Wood; Gimli: Stone; Aragorn: Fire; (<- or vice-versa? ->) Boromir: Ice; Merry: Wisdom; Pippin: Knowledge
And with their powers combined they can summon Captain Planet?
Captain Sauron. Well, his eye-beam, mostly.

"We're the Fellowship,
Of the Ring-Bearer!
Not melting the One Ring, is a grave error.
Hording and marauding is not the way,
Here's what Smeagol/Gollum has to say:"

"THE PRECIOUS IS MIIiiinnnnnneee!!!..."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 19, 2020, 06:55:16 pm »

Plants give hints as to what lies beneath them.

Unfortunately, they're very vague, they whisper so you can miss what they say unless it's really, really quiet, and you have to be an elf to understand them.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 19, 2020, 07:03:43 pm »

Plants give hints as to what lies beneath them.

Unfortunately, they're very vague, they whisper so you can miss what they say unless it's really, really quiet, and you have to be an elf to understand them.

Stop mocking my suggestion :P

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 19, 2020, 07:29:27 pm »

Dwarves mock all suggestions that the overseer or mountainhomes give.

"Don't swim so close to the waterfall, Urist! Don't cause a diplomatic incident with the humans, Urist! Blah, blah, blah!"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:31:39 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 391