Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 390

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 464251 times)

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2019, 01:25:28 pm »

All of these Scruffy Shambler suggestions are good and valid and I love them.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2019, 02:37:40 pm »

All of these Scruffy Shambler suggestions are good and valid and I love them.
Damn. We need something undwarffortressable.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2019, 07:26:52 pm »

Simulate the day/night cycle in Fortress Mode, but using the Adventure Mode timescale.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2019, 09:14:56 pm »

I actually don't see any reasons against it except technical difficulties.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2019, 09:58:42 pm »

Actual terrible suggestion that I still think should be done: Make the Fort mode timescale compatible with Adventurer mode (plus werebeasts, day/night cycles, farms, meals, parties etc.) by basically completely redesigning Fort mode.

That is, time advances at a reasonable rate, with things like smithing, mining, and building taking a very long time. In order to be able to play a fort for years without sitting at your computer for months at a time, you have a time skip mode where dwarves basically move around the map instantly and go about their business more abstractly, like the current post-worldgen offsite events. Maybe even make it like a turn-based game, where you press a button to pass one day, get a report of the day's events, and repeat. Any time you like you can slow things down to real time so that you can manually deal with invasions and the like, or just watch your dwarves go about their lives, going to work, having meals, talking to friends, and going to bed.

Solves the timescale with the very small side effect of... being an entirely different game. :V
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2019, 10:04:20 pm »

If only toady read this... and did

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2019, 10:25:41 pm »

To really get the full experience of watching the daily routine of a dwarf (more generally, citizen), Spectator Mode should be added. It's like assuming control of a unit in Arena Mode, but you have no control over the dwarf you're spectating. You do get to see the state of the dwarf, just like in Adventure Mode, but not much else.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:27:14 pm by methylatedspirit »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »

It's very seriously the direction I'd personally like to see the game go in, but I recognise that it would mean a whole lot of work for Toady (like, big-wait lot of work) and isn't what a lot of people want.

What I want is a big, self-consistent fantasy world simulator with a variety of modes to interact with it, including building and managing a site. What a lot of people want is a game alike the old 2D DF or Rimworld. Or, you know, what Fort mode currently is.
Admittedly I'm mostly drawn to DF for its Adventurer mode and world generation, which is why I want Fort mode to conform to those two modes rather than the other way around.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2019, 11:10:20 pm »

Wait, I'm confused. Isn't "big, self-contained fantasy world simulator with a variety of modes to interact with it" already Toady and Threetoe's end goal? Maybe it's not what everyone wants, but it's what they've always been striving towards regardless.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:17:16 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2019, 12:35:05 am »

Political Parties -

With an increase in democracy, mayors are elected not because of their skills, but instead on the platform of their political affiliation. This has an added benefit of constant bad thoughts for anyone who voted against the mayor elect, and those who voted for them will get bad thoughts for every promise not upheld.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2019, 02:08:08 am »

Politics is impossible. Lies are not implemented.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2019, 03:05:58 am »

Are partial 'truths' implemented? (partial as in incomplete information)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2019, 03:07:02 am »

Politics is impossible. Lies are not implemented.

Just another reason it's a terrible suggestion, as it's supposed to be.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2019, 03:19:38 am »

(There is the Liar skill, along with others that mesh with it like Judge Of Intent, Negotiator and Persuader. Even if they currently do little (except JOI in Brokering actions), it's clearly a placeholder for something. If not more than this under Adventure-mode identity-assumption[verify].)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2019, 03:06:51 pm »

Both adventurers and NPCs are also capable of taking on false identities, which is kind of in the same ballpark.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 390