Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 390

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 464257 times)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #2355 on: October 13, 2020, 07:58:08 am »

A mystical and mythical character that appears in folks art like songs and stories etc. but has no reference in legends but still being completely real. sometimes it pops up in random places and makes your dwarves shit their pants. Nothing can stop it. Unless you get rid of all mentions. The more mentions the more powerful it becomes.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 13, 2020, 07:58:47 am »

The Following is a "REAL ONE" that I was like at least 1.5 hours into writing as a clarification post/stealth-bump for my "Intrim Workshops" suggestion-thread, when I read over this again and realized why nobody was replying.

To Clarify examples of what I'm getting at:
Workshops should/could have a "tech tree" dependent on the amount of equipment and tools you put into them.
I think some of the mods might do this, or something like it, already, through various RAW manipulations.
The basic goal is to allow, or test for, the sorts of complications that could occur if/when workshops are reconfigured as zones, as well as by allowing for a greater sense of roleplay to occur by having your fortresses production less focused purely on exporting =<<+Pond Turtle Shell Figurine+>>= 's (ringed with groundhog bone).

This "tech tree" would obviously change gameplay and have detrimental effects on backwards compatibility, at least at first but what is backwards compatibility anyway in a game like DF.

Thinking about the changes necessary
-->Craftsdwarf Workshop:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CARPENTRY-Opens up as soon as you have an adz, or an axe, and either building material or a table.
MASONRY!

kind of ran away in terms of overthinking this stuff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:06:32 am by betaking »

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 13, 2020, 08:14:43 am »

A mystical and mythical character that appears in folks art like songs and stories etc. but has no reference in legends but still being completely real. sometimes it pops up in random places and makes your dwarves shit their pants. Nothing can stop it. Unless you get rid of all mentions. The more mentions the more powerful it becomes.

Awesome idea. Really. It could work in some worlds where ideas create reality. So people would invent their spirits and gods and they would really start to exist. People create worlds by writing. Anyone remember the Myst and Riven games?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 13, 2020, 12:14:29 pm »

Wrestlers guild are now more likely to be used for entertainment. Wreslters will organize "fake" matches against each other, and invite other dwarves or beings from other civilizations to participate to the DWWT; the Dwarven World Wrestling Tournament

I think they already do this.  My legends modes are full of wrestling matches where some guy is always losing to some other guy.  By reason, the other guy should win at least sometimes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:56 pm »

Add the ability to brew and drink tea. Properly made tea, prepared by a dwarf with a high tea-making skill, provides a massive mood buff, bigger than anything else in the game. If tea is available and a legendary teamaker is a member of your fort, dwarves will spend all of their time just drinking tea and doing no work.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 13, 2020, 01:05:49 pm »

Dwarves are sometimes pyromaniacs and will start random fires wherever flammable material can be found, sometimes putting it out but often letting it spread. This gives them a good thought, and a strong need to start fires that if not fulfilled will result in them attempting to set other dwarves on fire.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 13, 2020, 01:13:58 pm »

Dwarves are sometimes pyromaniacs and will start random fires wherever flammable material can be found, sometimes putting it out but often letting it spread. This gives them a good thought, and a strong need to start fires that if not fulfilled will result in them attempting to set other dwarves on fire.

They prefer to set their beards on fire, making them especially despised.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 13, 2020, 06:07:06 pm »

Wrestlers guild are now more likely to be used for entertainment. Wreslters will organize "fake" matches against each other, and invite other dwarves or beings from other civilizations to participate to the DWWT; the Dwarven World Wrestling Tournament

Sometimes they hit the other wrestler from behind with a chair. If a stone throne is used, this results in an instant kill. Otherwise, the target is paralyzed for life.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: October 14, 2020, 03:28:31 am »

Implementation of theaters and "artistic" dwarves who make strange prestations. Every single of their plays are randomly generated and can range from a beautifully six-act representation of some king's life, a romantic comedy, an elven tragedy, or a strange metaphor for other metaphors for things that have nothing to do what's being represented.
For instance;
"This is a play by Udil Auteurdwarf the dwarf, one of the most recent entries of your fortress's theater. This is play telling the story of King Bomrek TheDead The Third. The prose is strange. The king is represented by an elven woman. She is dressed in a costume representing a sparrow man.
In the first act, she discusses the secret of life and death with a crab man, something that didn't happened in the life of Bomrek theDead.
In the second act, she discovers that the king of the Screaming Rocks has declared a war on them, she mourns the death of her brother, Udil. Something that did happened to Bomrek TheDead, to the exception of the fact that he never had a brother. The brother is played by Udil Auteurdwarf.
In the third act, Ashil, the god of death, comes to awaken the king's brother, he discusses the subject of skies and wagons with Ashil. The discussion is misleading. It is supposed to represent the death of art.
In the fourth and final act, the King kills herself, watched by the forgotten beast Azul, obviously an anachronism since neither of them actually met. It is supposed to represent the death of dwarven ethics.
The nobility loves the play, the rest of the fortress is confused. The fortress has learned the secrets of life and death!"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:04:29 am by Fikilili »
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 14, 2020, 03:47:45 am »

Some dwarves will be so taken with actors in the plays that they'll try to kill the president king to impress them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2365 on: October 14, 2020, 05:22:20 am »

They prefer to set their beards on fire, making them especially despised.

Some will set themselves on fire when going into battle, resulting in a morale debuff to their enemies.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 14, 2020, 02:23:22 pm »

ninjas can't get you if you're on fire
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 14, 2020, 03:02:40 pm »

Poem generator implementation
Toady makes deals with Nick Walton and IBM to make a GPT-3 poem generator for DF. This means playing DF requieres either a constant internet connection and enough money in a linked bank account to pay 1$ for the operating costs and fees of generating a single poem every time it happens or a supercomputer. You cannot turn it off.

Obviously, the poems are bad and don't integrate with world history well, sometimes picking characters that don't exist in the world but which the AI learned. To band-aid this, the suggestion from a few posts above is implemented

This means that for the low price of an olimpic pool of gold you can get 3 worlds with the same vampire who appears in poems and randomly spreads his vampirism to people.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: October 14, 2020, 04:23:28 pm »

Sometimes they hit the other wrestler from behind with a chair. If a stone throne is used, this results in an instant kill. Otherwise, the target is paralyzed for life.

Some wrestlers will take products to have more muscular mass, and in some cases they might murder their families nbefore killing themselves.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 14, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »

Chewing tobacco, which provides a mood boost but is addictive like alcohol.  Dwarves who chew will also spit; you can make spitoons at a craftdwarf's workshop, but they'll need to be cleaned periodically, and barring that, they'll spit on floors and walls, creating puddles that will give other dwarves negative thoughts.

Chewing tobacco can also be flavored with mint, which some dwarves prefer.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 390