Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 391

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 472551 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2018, 07:41:02 am »

"Levers: The cases for and against enforcing signage and labelling regulations"

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2018, 08:37:42 pm »

Dwarf fortress should be based on a full Schrödinger equation multi body solution for the entire in-game universe. The universal wave equation is solved during world-gen, which should take a few trillion years on a supercomputer and more ram than exists on earth. System requirements updated online to reflect this.

Additionally, Toady implements all fan suggestions in the forums, in order of appearance. If two features contradict the older feature is implemented first, then the latter one once its time comes. Bugs only fixed if suggested, and only once its their turn.

No code is ever deleted, and no refactoring ever.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2018, 03:05:07 am »

There should be $12.99 DLC's for hats that are a slightly different colors than the ones already in game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2018, 03:19:52 am »

You should be able to trade children away to goblin merchants in exchange for weapons and warbeasts.
Elves should have a certain chance to become hungry after not having eaten for a while. A hungry elf will path to the nearest dwarf and eat it whole.
Kobolds should be able to set up traps inside your fortress. They should also have the ability to taunt nearby dwarves, causing the dwarves to gain a large chunk of stress.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2018, 07:46:24 am »

The current 'undecipherable' nested menu system to be completely abolished. A custom keyboard is needed with exactly one key reserved for each leaf-option, with a Codepage character on it appropriate to its function, and three sets of 'cursors', one being the wider/narrower/taller/shorter group, just to keep things simpler.
You also need to buy a custom kit to convert it when using graphics packs/mods, or it stops working or doesn't provide any route to any new functionality.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:44 am »

You should be able to trade children away to goblin merchants in exchange for weapons and warbeasts.
Elves should have a certain chance to become hungry after not having eaten for a while. A hungry elf will path to the nearest dwarf and eat it whole.
Kobolds should be able to set up traps inside your fortress. They should also have the ability to taunt nearby dwarves, causing the dwarves to gain a large chunk of stress.

Don't know what these are doing here. They all strike me as terrific suggestions.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2018, 09:40:04 pm »

oh well guess that's what i get when I try to be creative and not just post "add paid dlc lol" for the twenty-first time~

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2018, 01:11:40 am »

I mean, in my first post, I specified that this thread is also for ill-conceived, short-sighted, and absurd ideas, not just "bad" ones.  An idea can be a ton of fun to think about and still be completely unrealistic or possibly detrimental to DF as it is.

For example: a new surface crop called Burstberry that grows only in evil biomes; the fruit are highly flammable, and can be brewed into special booze called Volatile Wine.  This booze is extremely valuable, on par with Sunshine, but barrels of it explode at high temperatures; worse, Dwarves can't resist it, and drinking it imparts a syndrome that causes the drinker to violently detonate when struck in the gut, a condition that persists until the drink has been fully "processed" (ie, they get thirsty again).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:14:20 am by BigUglyWorm »
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2018, 05:52:46 am »

Kobolds SHOULD be able to make traps in fortress. They should also be able to release aggressive critters in fortress, they should be able to add substances into food and drink that make dorfs vomit, and to clothes that make dorfs itch and go berserk. They can also set up itching-clothes traps. They should be able to release caged un-tame animals and run away.
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2018, 08:59:46 am »

I mean, in my first post, I specified that this thread is also for ill-conceived, short-sighted, and absurd ideas, not just "bad" ones.  An idea can be a ton of fun to think about and still be completely unrealistic or possibly detrimental to DF as it is.
Well mine wasn't DLC. You can't download hardware!

Speaking of which:

SmellSense. Like Stonesense or Soundsense but:
a) is a peripheral odour-emitting dongle, from "rain after drought" through to "butcher's shop miasma", and
b) Is core to DF, in a User Manual Protection sort of way, in that you have to identify a random odour to get beyond a trial period, each startup, although
c) It's actually very helpful, as it doubles the quantities emitted for the next smeall, every time you answer one wrongly!

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2018, 10:26:41 pm »

A sub-species of Kobold called the Catbold, which can adopt dwarves the same way cats do.  This does not stop them from stealing things from your fortress, and adopted dwarves will gain unhappy thoughts if you destroy Catbold eggs in your fortress.

Savage-biome-exclusive amphibious giant-sponge-elephants.  They have the size, tusks, and weight of giant elephants, plus the raw indestructibility of giant sponges.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:37 am »

A sub-species of Kobold called the Catbold, which can adopt dwarves the same way cats do.  This does not stop them from stealing things from your fortress, and adopted dwarves will gain unhappy thoughts if you destroy Catbold eggs in your fortress.

Savage-biome-exclusive amphibious giant-sponge-elephants.  They have the size, tusks, and weight of giant elephants, plus the raw indestructibility of giant sponges.

Hmm, thats not a terrible idea for a sentient livestock idea, small creature that chooses its own owner. Not quite a house-rat(elf)

TrbId - Over exposure to faries inflicts a mental state in which dwarves themselves believe they are faries fluttering around the fortress carelessly in a mischievous mood pulling random levers in their teporary fit of madness.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:34:39 am by FantasticDorf »

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
  • Never forget your towel.
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2018, 04:16:11 am »

Aids
“You are perfectly safe.”
“But that’s not the point!” raged Ford. “The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!”
- Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2018, 02:43:02 pm »

When your fort hits 50-year mark, moss should start growing on exposed stone block constructions.

I will say no more  8)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »

Here's an interesting idea, Toady should rethink his entire "nobody poops" rule for the game, right down to chamber pots that can be thrown at enemies complete with their contents.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 391