Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 390

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 464026 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:17 pm »

Each world should have a procedurally generated selection of plant and animal species, including every single extinct species that's ever existed on earth. So in some worlds you'll have neanderthals alongside dwarves and modern humans and carnivorous dinosaurs stomping around eating giant insects from the carboniferous period. In some worlds vascular plants haven't yet evolved, making it much harder to feed your dwarves.

This one looks like a real planned feature.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:20 pm »

I think most of these suggestions should at the very least be made into real mods somewhere down the development road. Admit it, that would be awesome! :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:47:05 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »

In every terrible idea, there exists a basis for at least one good idea.
Toady should delete the source code for DF, and program by hacking instead.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:54:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »

I think most of these suggestions should at the very least be made into real mods somewhere down the development road. Admit it, that would be awesome! :P
Each world should have a procedurally generated selection of plant and animal species, including every single extinct species that's ever existed on earth. So in some worlds you'll have neanderthals alongside dwarves and modern humans and carnivorous dinosaurs stomping around eating giant insects from the carboniferous period. In some worlds vascular plants haven't yet evolved, making it much harder to feed your dwarves.

This one looks like a real planned feature.
*cough cough http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167935.0 cough cough*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:54 pm »

Toady should delete the source code for DF, and program by hacking instead.
Control-x Meta-c Meta-butterfly

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:21 pm »

1: Why let some algorithm have all the fun? Give players more autonomy by letting them manually set the values on all worldgen variables one at a time. Now, YOU get to decide the names, personalities, and skills of each and every intelligent being on the planet*, situate the world's plant varieties and mineral deposits**, design towns and dark fortresses***, control the weather and even shape continents**** the same way you assign hex coordinates in DFHack!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2: Make DF more multiculturally accessible by having Unish as the default language (with optional translations for Bolak, Afrihili, and Solresol). All text in the game should alternate randomly between webdings and characteristica universalis, but still keeping the original ascii art for everything else. Wu no lovil dat?
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:58 am »

1: Why let some algorithm have all the fun? Give players more autonomy by letting them manually set the values on all worldgen variables one at a time.
Honestly, I like it to some extent. How one goes about implementing that in a way that won't look like the Matrix or something is the hard part. What next, allowing players to determine the final state of a world, given some initial parameters, by answering [104,1012] yes/no questions about literally everything that goes on in a world, including those before history actually starts?

2: Make DF more multiculturally accessible by having Unish as the default language (with optional translations for Bolak, Afrihili, and Solresol)
DF seems like a game completely unsuited to full localization to any other language, since a lot of things are hardcoded. So of course, DF should implement a generalized notion of language, one that allows any sequence of arbitrary symbols to have meaning, given some complete and consistent set of rules, just to be able to translate it to other languages. Sure, the result might be as cryptic as the general proof for Fermat's Last Theorem, but that's the fun of it. would the range of 'things' expressible in set theory be enough to qualify it as a language? is that statement even remotely provable?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:48:07 am by methylatedspirit »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:52 am »

IIRC, there's a fairly complete Russian localization for Dwarf Fortress.

As you see in the linked site, the Russian localization is the most complete atm.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2019, 03:22:41 am »

That"s impressive. Is there a download link for it that I'm not seeing?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:07 am »

That"s impressive. Is there a download link for it that I'm not seeing?

transifex dot com simply shows the progress of various localizations for certain project(s). Here's the actual link (in Russian)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

Bay12 Forums: come for discussions about Dwarf Fortress, stay for discussions about diseases, quantum mechanics, and coding languages.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:50 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2019, 02:25:14 pm »

You assume right. Apparently I was using a moth. They suck.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2019, 04:34:13 pm »

Male horses should attack nearby non-vermin creatures that are not female horses while near another male horse to make the horse simulation aspect or the game more accurate.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 390