Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ledpaddled - Babytime [60 years]  (Read 13476 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Visitors welcome! Mental health not guaranteed.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 07:08:30 am »

On a pig tail scroll dated 277
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

I see that it's been a while since anyone documented our history. A lot has happened and due to some of the events, neither the founders nor the mercenary wishes to continue wrķting. I'll simply have to document what I've heard growing up here in Ledpaddled. Maybe I can get one of the oldies to write something later.

I found these sketches done but without commentary, but I know the story. At the time of the birthing siege the trap down at the deepest cavern caught a cave dragon, the very purpose for which the trap was built. However, it seemes like nobody took notice of this, until...

But with the shortage of dwarfpower, I'm not suprised. Even if it had been brought up in time, there would be no-one to train it.

In 267 two goblins went beserk in the tavern, possibly because the tavern was closed at the time, or had been recently. Or perhaps because of the dead goblin bodies lying around. Or maybe because the elves are such pricks.

The oldies often tell this story, of a child smashing the entire upper body of a goblin in a single punch. This is in fact not quite true. Yes, the finishing blow was a punch from a child, but the goblin was far from unhurt before this happened, due to intervention from other guests at the time. How do I know this? I was the one to kill this goblin.

The other goblin was taken care of our excellent then militia commander (now expedition leader).

The next event that my mother recalls is that a human went beserk outside our walls and attacked a dwarven visitor.

A dog intervened and managed to exhaust the human, allowing our dwarven visitor to land the finishing blow.
The body of the human lies next to the creek at this day still.

A werearmadillo visited, but was satsfied with its visit after killing 2 of our visitors to the north at which point it turned into a goblin and fled.

Soon after, another visitor was unhappy.

When I write "another" I really mean "about half of everyone coming here".

Note "Open Space"

One of them was stuck in a tree. Until he died of thirst.

I'm starting to think that Ledpaddled is in fact not a place you want to visit as an outsider.

Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Happy birthday! Here's your squad.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 280
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

In 273 the Werearmadillo Ngerxung Tormenttree the equity of afflicting (what a strange name) returned to Ledpaddled. This time he (?) was not detected until it stumbled upon Deler right outside the main gate, accompanied by her baby - Meng and a dog at the time.

The werearmadillo went for the dog first. The gate was ordered closed, but it would take time before it actually closed. The hope was to force the werecreature through the siege entrance with the traps, this would however turn out to be almost irrelevant.

Deler occupied the were long enough for the bridge to raise fully, but while she had military training with a spear, she had no armor or weapon with her at the time. Soon both mother and baby lay bleeding on the ground.

The werearmadillo then proceeded to the siege entrance, moving effortlessly over the traps therein. It somehow got stuck in the entrance however, distracted by keas, it would seem, one of which it killed. Refuing to leave the trap area proved deadly however, as it soon reverted to goblin form, standing on top of spinning serrated discs. I'll leave the rest up to the readers imagination and pray you never have to witness something like that.

On a pig tail scroll dated 280
Former baron consort Bėmbul Mengibesh

My daughter has convinced me I should write some of our history. At first I was apprehensive, I'm not one for words. But reading how inaccurate her recording of the events that have passed are... "I'm doing the best I can!", she says. No my daughter, you are not, but you did not experience the events with the grown up mind, either.

All these freaking kittens are getting on my nerves. Every day its the same, new kittens born, go slaughter them Bėmbul, we're all busy with training or whispering to each other in the honeymoon suites. WELL GET ON WITH IT, YOU'VE BEEN IN THERE FOR 2 YEARS DAMNIT. MARRY ALREADY. Kids these days.

Now wheres that gelder? Tell him to get his shit together. Wait. I'm the gelder. But I already gelded the cats? Well, most of them. Why are we still getting kittens? Whats the cats pregnancy time anyway? Four minutes? Oh armok.

Right. History.

While the death of Deler was tragic, at least she didn't turn into one of those things. That would've been really bad.

Shortly after the death of Deler, the first child comes of age.

"Congratulations on your birthday, welcome to the military" I remember my husband saying. What a birthday present. It's for a good reason though, military training is what makes this fort survive and work effectively. Stronger, faster dwarves produces better results faster even when their skill at a task is relatively low. In fact, when Unib took up weaponsmithing after his mother he managed to make a masterwork after only a few tries, much to the rest of the forts astonishment.

Dakost came of age soon after, he was also drafted. With these new recruits, our resident spearmaster mercenary tried something different: Swords.

The younglings hadn't seen Led fight much before she started training them, so when they got their asses whopped by her, even though she had never held a sword before, it was a bit of an awakening for them.

"You're 6 times as old as me! You're gonna fall apart soon!" they used to say, no more. The 80's may not be youth anymore, but it is far from the end of a dwarven lifespan.

When training had gone on for a few months a siege showed up and promptly left. Turns out they were just a distraction for a snatcher. The training squad was on top of the thief eagerly, wanting to see how the swords performed. The goblin seeing 3 mad dwarves in full steel armor and wildsly swinging swords tried to run away. Into a wall. Bad day for the goblin.

Led seemed satisfied with the performance of the swords, but noted room for improvement. Back to training for the rascals.

Eventually they both reached what can be called swordsmaster status. Led still provided asswhoppings though, it would be a while before That stopped.

And what would one of these scrolls be without noting a visitor with deteriorating mental health...

Players note

Daaamn.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:52:40 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - The baron is dead, long live the baroness.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:48 am »

On a pig tail scroll dated 284

What happened next is difficult for me to write down, but it is an important part of our history.

A werehare paid us a visit in 276. My husband, the baron, was doing something near the main gate when he must have heard the squeals of the guard dog dying. The werecreature went straight in before the bridge closed, leaving it and my husband in a melee. Being fairly well trained since the year of training it was slain quite quickly by him.

He had bad news for us however, that he had received a bite from the creature before it died, and that the werecreature curse spreads this way.

My husband was a werehare.

There were those who didn't believe him at first, but after he locked himself alone in the well room, followed by screeching and bashing at the door, nobody doubted anymore.

In fact, he had to break the door down after he transformed back, because it couldn't be opened anymore.

The next full moon he had the idea of getting a bunch of our giant war leopards to follow him into the well room. While his personally assigned one did almost nothing to fight the werehare when it came, he thought that perhaps a bunch of them would be able to take him down after he transformed.

Turns out that giant leopards are really loyal. Or perhaps stupid.

When we opened the door to the well after the sounds had stopped we were met by a bloodbath, all of it giant leopard blood. All four walls, the ceiling and floor were covered in giant leopard blood and bits.

After this my husband realized just how dangerous he was to the fort and went down to the magma-filling station, giving orders to close the door behind him and start the pump. Some giant leopards went with him (Loyal or stupid?).

Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Suddenly artifacts
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 01:49:56 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 287
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

Something changed when my father died.

I didn't understand what was happening, but the oldies assured me that this was not unheard of for dwarves.

Why at that point though? The fort had been going for decades already. Did my father have to die? Did there have to be a significant enough event? I would think that the earlier deaths would have sufficed. Or the mining of the legendary blue ore. Or just the appointment of a baron.

It turns out this was just the start.

In fact, I get to experience this phenomenon first hand.

Afterwards I get a strange connection to wood, being able to shape and build smaller objects out of wood like I never would have imagined I would.

I wonder if this is the same connection that the elves have. Probably not, their goods does not look like anything I produce - perfect grain running in the item, like it was grown into shape, rather then formed. Hmm...

Speaking of elves, one of our guests was not very harmonious with nature, despite what everyone said.

Led is of course not very happy about this, Urdim being her pet. I could see that she is conflicted about vengeance however, mulling it over before acting. The diplomat leaves for the time being, before Led acts. That is probably for the best, given Leds slight opinion differences with elves.

Something changed in Led when Urdim died though. Odd, she has lost a lot of cats over the years - inevitable when having so many cats I would think.

Players note: I'm not 100% this is the exact pet, but it is likely

Bėmbul creates an artifact as well.

She does not get any special connection to stone or anything after this. I wonder if only the young ones are affected like me.

Soon after the fourth artifact was created a wererabbit attacks. Led is the only one to respond to the alarm in any sort of timely manner. She shows up with a crossbow, but few bolts.

After a drawn out dodging and bashing fight, my mother - Bėmbul - comes in to finish with a single punch.

Records show that Thob our then expedition leader dies soon after. Wether this is from fighting or something else is not recorded.

But even surrounded by death life goes on and we get our first elephant calf!

I should probably explain. Before I was born, my father bought an elephant from the elves, thinking it would be useful as a war animal if nothing else. The elves then turned up with another elephant, which was also bought. Both were males, however. Later the elves brought a female elephant, which I bought, thinking that they might make for a useful food source. I now know that elephants grow up very slowly unfortunately. Much slower then our Giant leopards. The leopards are probably a better source of meat.

Players note
I have no idea why there was no artifacts before this - from reading other forts it would seem that there needs to be an event of some sort to spark the moods?

Also: no noted visitor(s) death(s) this chapter! Although there may have been some starvations outside the fort that were not found.A

Edit: I find it difficult to write stories compared to telling them vocally. Usually my stories change over time as my memory modifies them. When you write them down it doesn't work like that though, can't modify the past without changing previous posts, which seems dubious.

I'm trying to get in sync with the fort now. This was my original goal, but I just couldn't stop playing.

Hopefully an in-sync fort will free me from this style of writing, although that might be too much to hope for.

What do you do to change up your story style? Do you think it is proper for a fort (story) to change style in the middle? (I suppose in the end, we're having fun, so it doesn't really matter, but y'know)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:55:22 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Diplomacy at its finest
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:29 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 287

In the previous scroll, my daughter noted the death of Thob Athelrurast. She did not write of the severity of this however.

Thobs death marked the end of the second generation of our fort, since he was the last living husband. And thus the fort faced a crisis, I couldn't convince the younglings of the importance of marrying and having children. "You gotta have kids cause the fort will die otherwise!" isn't exactly the best persuasion.

The old suites were reactivated and suitable dwarfs were convinced to stay in them. This resulted in 2 pairs of lovers, but nothing more, even after a year without any real responsibilities.

Another poet broke down.

Luckily, he was outside, so there was little risk to the rest of us.

I noticed that the poet had his (her?) own blood smeared across their left wrist. This was puzzling to me, I had never seen these types of cuts. When I prayed to Tobul about it, only one word came to me: "Emo". I.. do not know what that means.

You probably remember the cat murdering diplomat from last scroll. It came back.

Another visitor went berserk, human this time. Was out in the courtyard it went down. Scared all the animals quite a bit. Coward elephants.

The military was dispatched, before any animals are hurt.

The earlier logs are from a fight with another visitor outside the walls

It only takes a single strike to end the threat to the animals, training has paid off it seems. Although one mad human is scarcely a real threat.

The elven diplomat was at it again.

We finally had enough.

The diplomatic fallout from this we had no idea about, we only knew that we couldn't continue letting the elf wreck our fort and pets.

I don't know how to work this into the story, but it was so hysterical I had to capture it.

1. Is militia commander Tun, shown to the right. Having just sliced the head off an elf, decides to sit down and read.

2 (the red scribble).  A newly grownup child, having recently started military training (anyone old will be a lord or master).

3. An emotionally destroyed war-trained giant leopard (possibly the one mentioned in the combat log)

4. The current metalsmith, who was reading in the library at the time. The elven corpse in front of him obscures the table he is reading from.

Basically, militia commander comes in and kills an elf who is throwing a tantarum on a table that another dwarf is reading from. Zero fucks were given from the reading dwarf. Zero fucks were given by said militia commander, who proceeds to sit down and read. Meanwhile a vicious giant leopard is in emotional shock.

Also the baroness comes in afterwards.. and gives zero fucks.

Ledpaddled

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Suddenly artifacts
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 01:05:10 pm »

Edit: I find it difficult to write stories compared to telling them vocally. Usually my stories change over time as my memory modifies them. When you write them down it doesn't work like that though, can't modify the past without changing previous posts, which seems dubious.

I'm trying to get in sync with the fort now. This was my original goal, but I just couldn't stop playing.

Hopefully an in-sync fort will free me from this style of writing, although that might be too much to hope for.

What do you do to change up your story style? Do you think it is proper for a fort (story) to change style in the middle? (I suppose in the end, we're having fun, so it doesn't really matter, but y'know)

I want to reassure you that I enjoy your style of writing and whatever faults you think you have your readers (one at least) are not nearly so aware. The lines of the story come through clearly enough for me; I think the device of calling in different narrators is a fine trick to in-character explain any shifts due to "change over time as my memory modifies them." Keep it up. :)

That said, absolutely try change if you want to. Unless you have a rabid editor or paying customers to appease, feel free to experiment. We are indeed having fun, and maybe even learning a few things along the way. ;)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Third generation found
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 02:33:59 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 291
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

Better start this one off right.

Visitors broken and breaking down. I still cannot comprehend why they simply stop in their tracks, refusing to eat or drink - then simply go mad. Why wouldn't they just return from where they came?

In 283 there is a marriage.

My mother is very disappointed that it is not me. But what can I say? I'm not ready for children.

For a change of pace, our dwarven diplomat - or rather, former outpost liaison - goes insane. She's all over the fort, running manically. I hope she doesn't stay for too long, can't be good for a dwarfs mental health seeing that.

Predictably, next notable thing to happen in ledpaddled was that a baby was born. Notable because it was the product of the previously mentioned marriage. Also since my mother wrote about fort survival and stuff last scroll I guess this also belongs in that category, although there needs to be a second family in my generation for there to be a continuation of the fort guaranteed. Whatever. We'll worry about that later.

A more pressing matter for us was that Led - our resident mercenary - was getting stressed and none of the normal treatments were halting the spiral into madness.

After a tantrum were she killed 2 of her pet cats, I decided that we could not have our best soldier running around on the brink of insanity. It was finally time for Ledpaddled to get its own justice system. Rooms were carved by me personally, being the only active miner. Stockpiles for drink and prepared food put in, along with a bed and a chain long enough to reach all the previously mentioned items.

Once the jail cells were in a functional state I appointed my mother to be the sheriff. This was a mistake in retrospect, since she was the 2nd strongest dwarf after Led and having some training in striking.

Led was officially blamed for every crime reported that did not have a witness or where Led had been witnessed committing the crime. My mother decided based on traditional dwarven justice that the sentence should be a beating and imprisonment for 291 days.

Led survived the beating fine and was subsequently imprisoned.

A newly grownup child who had just finished his first military training was not so lucky, having also thrown a tantrum with some damage to the forts pets. Beating + 57 days. Did not survive the beating.

This is when I learned you shouldn't have an extremely strong dwarf be the sheriff.

Vabōk, one of the newly drafted children got the position instead - having only a few days of military training - had not yet built up his strength.

Now I also have an excuse to train him as captain of marksmanship.

Players note
So what happened next got reverted twice: First from my daughter pushing the power button, second from me savescumming because a siege killed one of the newly wed. The end result turned out surprisingly similar to the first time however - but that is for next time.

On another note, I'm thinking about getting dorfings from the forums. It would be restricted to children and babies to keep in theme with how the fort works. This to make it easier to give more character to the now quite a few dwarves.

Would anyone be interested in having a dorf in Ledpaddled - the dwarven breeding grounds?

I would also try to keep the writeups more in sync with the playing of the fort, to make interactions with your dorf easier. Right now the writeups happen about 4-10 years after the fact.

Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Suddenly artifacts
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 02:36:57 pm »

I want to reassure you that I enjoy your style of writing and whatever faults you think you have your readers (one at least) are not nearly so aware. The lines of the story come through clearly enough for me; I think the device of calling in different narrators is a fine trick to in-character explain any shifts due to "change over time as my memory modifies them." Keep it up. :)

That said, absolutely try change if you want to. Unless you have a rabid editor or paying customers to appease, feel free to experiment. We are indeed having fun, and maybe even learning a few things along the way. ;)

Learning! I never thought about this as a way to learn about writing and storytelling, but it is obvious now that you mention it. I thought mostly about learning DF and giving a little bit back to community for all the great reads I've had.

This suggests a new approach to writing! Science!
Ledpaddled

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Third generation found
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 07:41:43 pm »

Can we request a name? If so I would like a dorf to be named "Fancypants Pimphat VI
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Third generation found
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 01:28:25 pm »

Can we request a name? If so I would like a dorf to be named "Fancypants Pimphat VI

Yes, name, profession and preferences regarding work, although the work prefs are not guaranteed.

I'll post the possible children with each update that way you can see their thoughts screen and pick a particular one.
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - A suprise trip across the continent
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 03:44:31 pm »

Intermission
This didn't happen

Or this

First one because my daughter managed to hit the power switch to the computer I play DF on. Second one because Sarvesh got killed in the siege and I ragequit/savescummed since it seemed really unfair to trade a limb from the ghost attack for the death of the only population producer in the fort. Bleh.

Either way: On with the story!

On a pig tail scroll dated 291

Somehow, when my daughter was out digging away the top layer of the hill we live in, in order to improve security she ended up in a tree and then of course refused to jump down. Kids.

I bet its part of the lead mania shes been having. Why on earth would we make everything of lead? It's not like its even a practical material. Really heavy and not even magma safe. I guess it is quite abundant around here though.

I guess we're lucky she didn't insist on the tree-protection roads outside the walls be lead as well, that would have taken another year to make. Still took longer to get the improved fortifications up then I was comfortable with, mostly because my daughter, the baroness, insisted on changing our old schist walls to lead. It is almost done now however, the only thing missing is roofing over the fortifications to shield the on duty dwarf from the rain.

Regardless of the reason for her newfound tree climbing abilities, someone eventually discovered that she was stuck up there and notified the current woodcutter to get to choppin'. Except that this dwarf, I don't remember who, apparently had other things to do. Like sleeping, eating, drinking and whatnot. So when the tree was actually about to be cut down, the baroness jumped down on her own. Of course she denied everything afterwards. Kids these days, I swear.

We ran out of coffins it would seem and Rovod loses a leg for it. One of the spare slabs is engraved and eventually placed, since there are more then a few pets in line for burial before Kadol.

During construction of the earlier mentioned lead walls, a cave-in, or I suppose a surface-in makes Medtob fall. He's unlucky and dies from this small 1 urist fall.

Unib finally manages to convince the rest of us that he has reached the pinnacle of his skill to craft weapons and so it is time to forge the small amount of adamantine we've mined.

Short swords are picked since adamantine makes a fine cutting edge and our experience with steel swords have been very positive. In total 6 swords are made, 3 of them masterworks.

FINALLY. These kids, they don't understand that we're all that there is. They're too young to understand the gravity of not having children.

Speaking of, I had a talk with the girl łshir regarding her relationships, or rather, lack of relationships with the boys assigned to the same cuddlespace. Turns out the girl had no idea what I was talking about. What a waste of a dwarf.

One day my baroness daughter came to me and asked: "What is the purpose of this fort?". I suppose she finally figured out that our fort is not quite like other dwarven settlements.

I told her of the day we set out to found this fort, our mandate to keep the western border towards the goblins safe, or at least keep them distracted and how we were promised migrants, but never got any.

She then looked at me, concerned. She told me what the liaison and the elven diplomat had relayed to her in news about the rest of the world. Turns out that the goblins reacted to the foundation of our fort by bypassing it almost entirely. Quite a few sites have been conquered from our brothers and sisters.

"I think we're going to have to take the fight to the goblins" she said. I could only agree, with the reservation that we wouldn't send any breeding dwarves into harms way without good reason. She sighed at me (as she usually does when I mention anything regarding baby making). I went on to recommend łshir for the first raid, somewhat to the baronesses surprise, but she wouldn't say no to an extra soldier. This established a pattern of me having final say in which soldiers we could send to do battle outside our fort.

Security for the fort with the "only" military away was never really a concern, since everyone 14 or older have substantial military experience. Except the sheriff I suppose, but he'll be decent with that crossbow in due time.

Upon informing the rest of the fort of the idea to start raiding goblin settlements there was noticeable eagerness in the room. I decided to send our militia commander, our resident mercenary, one of our excelling male soldier, as well as our two "asexual" girls.

The baroness mandated the best equipment to be used, and I could only agree. I would have liked them to have full adamantine armor, but that we do not have the resources for, so they'll have to make do with steel armor and adamantine swords.

Training was to be performed to get the senior military up to speed on sword handling again and train the girls in swords. The weapon of choice when they were training was the war hammer.

Once training was deemed sufficient by our mercenary, Led, the order for the first raid was given. In some strange twist of pen or mumbling the target ended up being halfway across the continent. Near the humans. Which don't come to trade with us because they're too far away. Do I need to further reinforce how much further away Bakerstyle is then our intended target? The goblins are next door. Like really next door.

The red !! where the yellow arrows originate is where Ledpaddled is. The goblins are the purple (I think it is purple?) civ to the west. This is a later screenshot, so some other targets have been raided.

The only item of notice the pillage mission brought back was a 2 handed sword of questionable quality.

The next mission went where the first one was supposed to. Did I mention that the baroness set aside 10 male elephants and 10 giant leopards to accompany the raiding squad? Well, she did, this turned out to be very wise, this was also the goal of my husband for the elephants when he bought them from the elves.

After a few razing raids successfully executed on smaller goblin settlements we turned to a bigger one. This turned into our first actual battle, the animals handled most enemies in earlier raids. Possibly because the animals outnumbered the dwarves 4:1 in the raiding party.

When our glorious army returned, quite a few (all dwarves, some animals) of them had earned titles.

But what of this report they brought back?

There were dwarf inhabitants! Probably from the goblins conquest of the settlement. Why did they fight back?

Had we become the conquerors we set out to stop?

These dwarves are currently available for dorfing. If you would like one of them, please reply to the thread with: Name of the dwarf to be dorfed as, name to be dorfed as, custom profession (if any), desired labours (if any).

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:04:43 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - A suprise trip across the continent [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 06:15:32 pm »

A bump to note that Ledpaddled is now open for dorfings. Also: the state of the fort is very close to the last updates end.
Ledpaddled

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:12 pm »

I would like Olin to be named "Fancypants Pimphat VI" if you wouldent mind!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 06:25:08 am »

I would like Olin to be named "Fancypants Pimphat VI" if you wouldent mind!
Done
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - A suprise lizard [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 01:36:24 pm »

On a giant bat parchment scroll dated 292
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

So, I read through my mothers entries in these scrolls. I have to say, she's getting grumpier and grumpier, more so in writing than in person. Although I guess she is past her prime now.

This will be a bit of a shorter entry, since not much has happened since the last one, although some of great significance - which is why I am adding this entry now, instead of waiting.

Raiding continued through 291 and 292, burning various goblin settlements on the edge of their territory.

Back at the fort, a few moments of inspiration happened, followed by the creation of some artifacts.

Unib - our metaldwarf made the first one.

While it was worth a descent bit, I have to say it is a little... plain. Especially for someone claiming to have "A boundless creative imagination".

Sarvesh was next.

Not quite as plain as the cage, even though it has the cage on it. Almost worthless according to our appraisal though, and I can see why. Bituminous coal. Why would you make anything out of that? Hmm... Although I've heard artifacts like this are indestructible and coal.. coal usually burns. Something to ponder.

Mosus made the next one.

That elf. Reminds me of someone I've heard about.

Winter of 292.

The rumours we had heard from the elves and our brethren by way of traders and some other visitors was that this goblin fortress was lightly defended. Our own raids nearby did not indicate anything to contradict that.

Four of our military was sent out to directly attack, our mercenary stayed at the fort to get some much needed recreation. In the best gear we could outfit them with, masterwork adamantine short swords, masterwork steel plate armor.

Only one dwarf returned.

I guess rumours are bad as far as military intelligence goes. 2500 trolls. Although I suppose that number might not be exact. I mean, who can count that quickly? But I trust our now militia commander more then the elves, that's for sure.

I was more surprised to learn that one of the goblin leaders, a fiend from hell it would seem, personally defended the site. I guess it has trust issues with the trolls. I mean, I probably would too.

Interesting that the animals seem to possess better judgement with regards to when to retreat. Shame we can't send them out on their own.

Either way, perhaps now that we have annoyed the goblins, they'll come to us instead.

Players note

I guess pop calculations don't include "animals"? From earlier raid reports it looked like they did, in terms of how many entities destroyed at a site in the report and how much its pop decreased after.

It also makes me curious if you can beat fiends at all with out-of-fort combat. The soldiers were all legendary in fightning, sword (and sometimes other) combat and shield use. My leader had high military tactics/leader as well, reporting a strong positional advantage for my force, although that went out the window when he died.

Does numbers have an impact that is not visible? The reports describes only one-on-one combat for notable characters it seems.

Is it at all possible to conquer high pop settlements? Attrition does not seem to be an alternative, given the seemingly lower pop growth of dwarves.

I did get quite annoyed that the animals retreated properly but none of the dwarves managed. This is what put me off from playing more since my last post, which is when all this happened.

These dwarves are currently available for dorfing. If you would like one of them, please reply to the thread with: Name of the dwarf to be dorfed as, name to be dorfed as, custom profession (if any), desired labours (if any).

Ledpaddled

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4