Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ledpaddled - Babytime [60 years]  (Read 13479 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - A suprise trip across the continent [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 03:36:54 pm »

updoot when?

I'm.. not sure what you're asking
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - A suprise lizard [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 03:59:40 pm »

Irregularly I suppose. It depends on how much I feel like playing and if I have time. I staggered updates at the start of this, but now I am actually out of screenshots: the fort is at 292, when the squad came back from Clappedhate.

Next up I probably need to do another round of dwarf dating and get enough dwarfs to start military action again.

I had intended for this update to get me to play the next segment, but out of time for today. I don't want to make any promises of updates that I cannot hold, since that seems to be pretty standard on this forum...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - A suprise lizard [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 07:14:02 pm »

I'll be honest, I didn't read to the end of the thread since I ran out of time, and just kinda assumed it hadn't updated in awhile :P

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Surprising goblin intelligence [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 05:48:39 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 294
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

My mother is dead. I should feel sad and depressed, but I do not. I supposed I never was one get sad, but this time I surprise even myself.

But I am ahead of myself, at least chronologically speaking (writing?). Soon after the disastrous raid on the dark fortress, the goblins struck back.

Then-sheriff was outside.

It wasn't good for him.

We soon realized that this was an actual siege and not just a scouting party.

That is, out of 158 "other" units, 7 are not part of the goblin army

Someone observed that the goblin commander had a bit better grasp of who is expendable this time, previous raids almost always had the commander lead the group. This time? Recruit first.

The sentry animals died without much of a fight. But for some reason the goblins were unwilling to enter the narrow passage we have for this specific purpose. Maybe the last scouting raid reported on our defenses.

Some of them eventually got pushed in, whereupon we opened and closed the bridge in an attempt to crush the invaders.

Not sure what is going on with that troll on the trap. Jammed? Boots of trap evade +1?

Before we did much of the bridge flailing (and failing) the troops were rallied, in fact that's one of the first things that happened. But it turned out not to matter very much, the goblins would stay in the area just outside the trapped entrance the whole siege.

Our resident merc and de facto military leader (since everyone more senior died in the failed raid) showed somewhat surprising choice of weaponry for the fight (that did not happen).

Yes. A goblet. Although I don't doubt that if it actually came to fighting, there would still be dead goblins. I personally got my ass kicked many a times by Led using every and any weapon available, including objects not normally thought of as weapons.

The lack of armor is in fact the bigger concern. Or clothes for that matter.

As we're figuring out that the gobbos are not gonna come to us, they find something outside the walls.

The elven diplomat. And the trolls are not interested in diplomacy it seems.

We realize that the bridge smashing isn't working, and the goblin commander is content staying outside, at least for now.

Someone points out that we have an entire storeroom full of crossbow bolts and that maybe we could drop them on the enemy from the top of the wall. Led says that we in fact have a bunch of crossbows, which would be a much better use for the bolts.

Unfortunately Led is the only one who has even a basic grasp on how to use a crossbow, well apart from the dead sheriff.

My mother in particular doesn't seem to realize that the goblins have no way to reach us, and that you have to stand next to the fortifications in order to properly shoot through them. Of course any attempt to explain this is completely wasted as she enters a trance.

After quite some time (months? I forget) the goblins get tired, hungry or bored and leave. At that point we only really have managed to injure a few with the shooting, some recruits have died to traps and a few have vanished, probably due to bridge shenanigans. Bridges are magic I tell you.

Nish names his sword, even though he didn't kill any goblins with it. Not in this fight anyway.

Soon after the siege one of the children, Adil, rushes to a workshop and starts gathering materials.

While technically useful I remain sceptical of its value in combat, it seems to me that a masterwork adamanite sword is just better.

While we're examining the artifact Led snaps.

Suprisingly, Led dies quickly to Nish, but not before injuring Unib, our legendary smith.

A day later we find Unib in a pool of blood on the hospital bed he was taken to.

The cause of death cannot officially be determined (except that to me - there being so much blood on the floor - has to be bloodloss) because none of Ledpaddleds citizens are any good with medicine. Something I guess I'll have to rectify at some point - ugh, more work.

Next the Carpenter claims his workshop, which I at first dismiss as normal. My mother says he is gathering materials, which I take to mean just making a bed or bin or whatever. But no, another artifact is soon created.

I wasn't completely off though - it is a bin! Not sure if he's gonna let us use it for anything though...

Another child claims a workshop. I guess I should be used to this by now. People die - children make artifacts. Still can't understand the logic though.

Very nice ring. Shame it is so.. elfy.

And so we come to my mothers death. By Monom of all things. In case the reader has forgotten, Monom is our resident cripple, being injured in an early raid on Ledpaddled.

Even though this only happened last month, nobody seem to remember why they both died. The last witness only saw them fighting and mostly failing.

And of course one of these scrolls would not be without a vistor being on the edge of sanity.

Players note
The fail of the raid put me off from playing for a while, then when I played the above happened, which put me off even more. Losing the legendary smith and one of the best soldiers at once was.. annoying.

Since a couple of months has passed since the session was played, more then a few details may or may not be total fiction with regards to the game. I had even forgot that I played these parts, heh.

These dwarves are currently available for dorfing. If you would like one of them, please reply to the thread with: Name of the dwarf to be dorfed as, name to be dorfed as, custom profession (if any), desired labours (if any).

Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Surprising goblin intelligence [Now open for dorfings]
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 07:10:00 am »

Transcript of conversation between some dwarven traders

Trader 1: So whats with that settlement?

Trader 2: You mean Ledpaddled?

1: Yeah, isn't it an old settlement? Why are they so few? And so many kids.

2: Well, 'Old' might be an overstatement, I was with the first trade caravan there after all.

1: Really? Then you must be familiar with them. Why are they so few?

2: I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the goblins took their toll?

1: I think you're lying to me.

2: I would never lie to you.

1: Now THAT I know is a lie. You just lied to me yesterday about that seat on the wagon, not only was it not secured to the wagon, it also had tack sticking up out of it!

2: Hehehhahahahehah.

1: Took over an hour to stop the bleeding. Still can't sit right. So I don't think it was the goblins that are the reason for Ledpaddleds small numbers. Besides they have those huge war elephants, and the giant leopards.

2: Oh man, its even better when you put it like that, kekeke.

1: Focus! Ledpaddled! Whats the deal?

2: Well, I've heard that they were not exactly a normal settlement to start with.

1: What do you mean?

2: I heard they were expelled by the king, but that has never been officially acknowledged.

1: But even so, some other dwarves would have migrated there? The new settlements always get some migrants in search of new opportunities.

2: Well, The king forbade anyone to migrate there. Not officially of course, but word gets around.

1: How'd he pull that off.

2: I honestly don't know. But now there's not much need for any kingly decree, Ledpaddled now being in goblin territory - so it wasn't really a lie I told you before.

1: You mean not a COMPLETE lie.

2: Well, I suppose. Also they turn away all requests for citizenship from visitors now as well.

1: Why?

2: Not entirely sure. Maybe they think they're better then everyone else.

1: What makes you say that? They didn't seem particularly xenophobic.

2: Are you familiar with the official reason for Ledpaddleds founding?

1: Protection for the kingdom from the goblin menace?

2: Yeah. So a couple of years back the Ledpaddled leadership decided that they would begin small scale raiding against the goblins.

1: Okay. But I never heard of any raiding parties from Ledpaddled?

2: But you ARE familiar how we're at war with some of humans to south, right?

1: I fail to see how these things are connected.

2: Well, you never were very Intelligent.

1: Hey!

2: Okay, so there was some sort of mix up with the target of the first raid and they raided a supposedly abandoned tower to south, just outside the humans territory.

1: But why would the humans declare war over a raid on an abandoned tower?

2: Because it wasn't actually abandoned.

1: Oh.

2: So when the humans found signs of battle at the tower, with connections to Ledpaddled...

1: But surely if the tower was not officially part of the human kingdom..

2: I don't know about that, maybe they were just looking for an excuse to go to war.

1: So whats this got to do with Ledpaddled turning away visitors requesting citizenship?

2: Have you heard of the 'ghost raiders'?

1: Sure, some story about settlements being raided and/or destroyed by an elite dwarven squad, backed up by war giant leopards and war elepha... Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?

2: Yes. Ledpaddled is the source of the ghost raiders. After they caused the war with the humans, it seems they're very careful about leaving anything that could link them to Ledpaddled. Even though they're targeting the goblins, which we're already at war with.

1: That doesn't make a lot of sense.

2: Well, I didn't say it does.

1: So you're saying the reason they turn away visitors is because their elite military force makes them think they're better then everyone else?

2: Well, it's a theory at least.

1: I think you're lying to me again.

2: Kekekekeeehehe, How's your bum?

1: You're a terrible dwarf. You know that?

2: Let's agree to disagree on that.

1: What! It's just a fact.

2: Just a fact like you pretending my best wares are yours and then taking half of the profit when you sell them?

1: How'd you find out about that?!

2: It's hard to fool an old dwarf. Hey, pass me that pot of rum, will you?

1: Sure, let me just reach back there..

*CRASH*

2: Kekekekeke.
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Now with serious sieges [Open for dorfings]
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2019, 03:16:30 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 296
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

295 was a comparatively eventful year, but before that, there was another artifact created.

Oddom makes an amulet. Apparently he has some complex over one of the cats being slaughtered? I mean, we kill off cats left and right, was there something special about this one? Hmm..

Year 295 starts off great, bunch of animals die as usual. And then..

Well shit.

Wait what. Did he come to kill goblins?

It seems not, he just makes a beeline for the tavern, getting in just before the siege arrives at the trapped entrance.

There are quite a few goblins.. and some dwarves?

The dwarves lead the charge. Recruits first as we saw last siege.

As the squad is getting ready to fight in the courtyard..

Really? A goblin scholar requests permission to stay? While we're being besieged by goblins? ..and some dwarves I suppose. Okay, so maybe it's not so weird, but dude, you couldn't pick a worse time. Not that it matters, we don't have room for any scholars.

As me and a few of the others are waiting for the rest to gear up, the elephants take the fight to the trolls that have entered the courtyard. Tholtig charges forward, our shouts that we need to wait for the rest to face the goblins in full force are for naught.

Tholtig apparently fights his way through the trapped entrance, finally being knocked unconscious, upon which he is ripped to shreds, as anything not smart or agile enough is in that corridor.

Somehow, one of the other dwarves manages to identify which enemies were killed by Tholtig before death.

Eventually the goblins break and start fleeing, upon which the order to pursue is given by our militia commander.

Sarvesh, mother of 10, dies with her youngest baby still on her. Miraculously, the baby survives.

Cleanup of the mess the goblins made starts immediately, first by burying our fallen, then by dumping goblin and troll parts under an open bridge. This is so that the less mentally stable dwarves among us don't get emotionally destroyed by simply walking outside. As I don't care one way or another, the others elect me to take care of most of the dumping. Sissies.

Total cleanup takes 15 months, during which some other notable things happen.

Rovod makes an artifact.

Sarvesh baby makes it to a state where it can eat and drink for itself, much due to my own efforts in feeding her.

Reg creates and artifact.

Fancypants becomes an adult. I could've sworn I never heard of a baby being born called Fancypants, but yet here she is. Also: welcome to the military kid.

Dakost created an artifact at the end of the year.

Making use of some of that material the goblins brought, beak dog bone.

Just when cleanup of the spring siege of 295 is finished.

At least there aren't as many of them this time.

A couple of the goblins kill the guarding leopard, then leave. The rest decide to hang around though. We decide to let a few of them in at a time, so that we can decide when to stop fighting.

This works marvellously well, many trolls die to the shredding traps, one goblin makes it through, but the we make short work of it in the courtyard. The enemy flees before we realize whats going on.

Time for more cleanup, I guess.

There are dwarves currently available for dorfing. If you would like one , please reply to the thread with: Name of the dwarf to be dorfed as, name to be dorfed as, custom profession (if any), desired labours (if any).

See previous update for available dorfs.
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Surprise FB! [50 years]
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2019, 10:16:11 am »

On a pig tail scroll dated 300
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

It's been a few years since the last scroll, but few things worthy of note have happened.

The fortifications are still not complete, but it seems they are now "good enough". We had more then a few goblins sieges, and one dwarf siege, although led by goblins. Most of them even had goblin names! Perhaps the mountainhomes assessment that the goblins are waging a war of extinction is incorrect. The captured dwarves seem to come here of their own volition, serving their new master willingly. This puzzles me. It does however coincide with the reports I received from our raiding parties. Hmm...

We have unfortunately lost a few dwarves. One due to my stupidity, the other on his own stupidity.

I thought fancypants were ready to face a single foe, at least for a little time before our militia captain showed up. I suppose that this was not entirely incorrect, since fancypants died quite a bit after Nish showed up. The beak dog (Foul creatures) continued to focus on fancypants however, and Nish did not kill it in time. This is most troubling, since all dwarves are vital to our fort. Every bit of dwarfpower is required for us to fulfill our mission - although we might have already failed. I guess the caravan from the mountainhome keeps coming - every year. Although I suppose that's not surprising, since our mountainhome is on the other side of the continent. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why everyone acts as if The Foggy Lances is where we are from. I suppose The Handle of Lances is easy to confuse with Foggy? They are our dwarven sisters and brothers though.

Shem died in a siege a few years later. The goblins and dwarves were climbing the trees and jumping inside our walls, an emergency squad was formed to deal with them. Shem was the commander of this squad. Exactly how Shem got outside the walls, I don't know. But out there she was, killing the enemy with ruthless efficiency. She took down 15 of them before succumbing to crossbow fire.

This curious goblin seemed to have become depressed during their siege of us. Not that I'm surprised that goblins have feelings, for that I know well from our visitors. What surprises me is that the breakdown happened DURING the siege. I would expect the enemy soldiers to have some discipline. Unfortunately for this poor goblin, he forgot to leave with the rest of the army and was instead used for target practice for ledpaddleds militia.

A couple of artifacts have been created since the last scroll. One of some note, an adamantine mace, worth an immense sum of money.

While we lost 2 dwarves to the enemy, 2 children joined the workforce.

They are both in military training, as is ledpaddled tradition.

One of our visitors became haggard (surprise!) and threw some punches. I decided to jail him right away, not wanting the situation to escalate.

Shortly thereafter I saw him in our jail, but later I found him in the cage stockpile?! When I demanded to know why our visitor was in a cage, nobody seemed to know. And nobody could let him our either. So I did what any fortress mechanic would do, slapped the cage down on the floor like an animal cage, then linked it to a lever. One throw of the lever and the visitor is happily leaving the fort.

The sheriff threw a bit of a fit though, screaming something about 'Wrong justice state'. I mean, I agree. But maybe do something about it, instead of screaming?

Note x180 to the right

This year, Dakost (our current expedition leader) had gotten into his head that we should open the caverns. I strongly disagreed with him, since keeping the caverns sealed has kept the beasts out. I'm not sure how we know that there is a beast made of iron in the third cavern. I mean, you can hear him. But iron? How do you know it's not something else?

Either way, as a compromise between opening the caverns totally and never looking at them again we dropped 20 urists worth of rock on the (supposedly) iron beast. Clean, I like that.

Dakost insisted we explore the first cavern though, since we barely knew anything about it. I suggested we do it by carving peepholes in a few places. While Dakost was not happy with this solution, saying we needed to 'face our fears' - whatever that means. Sounds sort of like those poets that used to visit us. The other dwarves were however convinced by my suggestion, and so we - actually just me, since I'm the only one in my generation who knows a damn about digging - dug to the wall of the cavern and carved some small holes. We didn't really find anything of interest. Until I accidentally punched a real hole in the wall.

Oops.

Having learnt my lesson on the fragility of barely trained dwarves with fancypants, I discharged everyone but Nish from our primary squad. Nish was to face this beast alone. He didn't even blink when I told him this. Just proceeded down through the stairs and chopped off its limbs, one by one.

Nish had not a scratch, but some foul extract on his armor... He didn't seem to mind though.

Right after the fight

Oh. Happy 50th anniversary ledpaddled!

50 years already? I guess that explains the fps problems. Enough crap for the game to work through. Most of my time playing is spent trying to improve the fps - that's the real reason for looking into the caverns.

The goblins also deposit a shitton of crap every time the come, since I try to kill as many of them as possible.

Increasingly aggressive use of autodump keeps things manageable though.

May have to look into clearing the dead list, I don't seem to get any FBs anymore, or many visitors. I guess I could have run out of FBs?

These dwarves are currently available for dorfing. If you would like one of them, please reply to the thread with: Name of the dwarf to be dorfed as, name to be dorfed as, custom profession (if any), desired labours (if any).

Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Surprisingly brave dancer [50 years]
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 03:29:46 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 307
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

It has once a again been a while since the last entry. Shortly after the last entry was made, we had a wedding!

Some time around then I had the splendid idea of making a better trap for the goblins. A drop trap to be precise. Initial idea was to just let them fall to their death - then we deal with their parts afterwards. But recently someone pointed out that if we drop them into magma we wouldn't have to clean up. Which would save a lot of labour.

The trouble is that digging the shaft (and smoothing the walls) all the way down to the magma sea will take a loong time with our current workforce. And it will pass through the caverns which needs to be sealed. Then someone pointed out that we could bring the magma to the goblins instead of the goblins to the magma. This also makes sense and I decide on a hybrid - make the goblins fall a bit into magma, short enough not to pierce the first cavern.

Sadly we've not yet had the time to build the magma raising mechanism - but I hope we can start on it soon, it will be glorious to see the goblins splash in magma.

Speaking of goblins, we had a siege in 304.

I think they just sat up in the trees, not being able to find a way down. Eventually they left.

Soon thereafter Alåth went mad and killed Bomrek.

Our militia commander stepped in and killed Alåth - shame, but probably better then keeping an insane dwarf around.

On a brighter note, ïngiz had her first child.

In fact, as of writing, he is the oldest child in the fort, all the others have grown up to join the workforce.

At some point we had undead wander across our border.

This was very surprising - although, we did raid a necromancer tower by accident once I guess. This makes even more sense since they brought some Human soldiers with them. It seems to me that this might not be a necromancer attack at all - instead a human siege.

While under siege Oddom grew up.

Directly into military training - as is tradition.

When the attackers reached our warning giant leopards it turned out they forgot to bring weapons, resorting to biting and punching instead.

Because the invaders were relatively few, we let them simply walk into the trapped siege entrance. One survivor of the traps met our militia commander.

Thus ended the first undead siege of Ledpaddled.

Not sure what the kobold-looking corpse is actually.

In the autumn, the goblins came again.

We decide to let them in a few at a time through the traps. However a dancer (dwarven) decides that now is a good time to visit our fort. Running straight through the goblins and traps.

This dancer subsequently asks for permission to stay - which normally would not be granted, but seeing his dedication to get where he needed to go, I order the expedition leader to make an exception. It is then discovered that the corpses may have traumatized said dancer a little bit on the way in. Oh well.

The traps kill 3-4 goblins at a time, then we clean the traps and open up to a few more. Some of the more terrified goblins get stuck halfway and are dispatched by the militia. Some enter the trap hallway and then leave the way they came.

Eventually the leader of the siege gets killed and the rest of the goblins rout.

In the above drawing you can also see the redesigning of the siege entrance in progress. The part on the right is the new style, vs the old style on the left.

Urvad grows up and get drafted as per normal. ïngiz gives birth to a girl. I have high hopes for our future workforce, we'll decimate those goblins yet!

During our prospecting for the best place to draw magma for the wee-spalsh-melty-goblin-contraption we find more of the blue rocks.

Not particularly interested in that for now. First melty goblins, then maybe more top-notch weapons.

PS. No visitors went insane during this time? Hmm..

It's.. been a while. Lost total inspiration to play DF, but with the new version coming out - got reminded again. Was hoping that the update would help with stress issues - but playing a year seems to indicate that this isn't really the case. Fort is not big enough for a priest - which afaik is the primary new stress reducer.

Playing other forts I've also realized that this one is quite special - a small workforce skills up fairly fast but hauling becomes an issue in a way that it isn't in larger populations. I do recommend giving a low-pop fort a try if you havn't already.

A major part in redesigning the trap entrance was that I didn't know that mechanism quality was a factor in trap effectiveness. So while all the blades were masterful or exceptional quality, the mechanisms were just any. The right hand part of the trapped entrance is many, many times more deadly than the left due to this. Rarely does enemies get past the first masterful mechanism before it jams due to corpses in it.

Available for dorfing:
Olin, 3, male
Momuz, <1, female
I'll start posting thought screens on demand rather then all the time. Takes more effort than its worth when there are many children :\
Ledpaddled

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Surprisingly brave dancer [50 years]
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 07:29:49 pm »

An enjoyable story, good to see you back at it now!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - Surprisingly brave dancer [50 years]
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 04:25:17 pm »

An enjoyable story, good to see you back at it now!
Glad you enjoy it, next part incoming...
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - A distinct lack of children
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2020, 04:29:28 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 310
Baroness Ustuth Satkol

In early 308 I started having regular nightmares. First one was particularly terrifying.

Every nightmare involved a goblin siege, some two.

In one particularly odd one I am sleeping in a hole. Yeah, sleeping in a dream.

Our continued probing finds more of the blue metal.

Thob gets into "the mood" and gets a bunch of materials.

Soon he has some shoes to show us.

Curiously he doesn't feel any more skillful in his craft, as most other artifact creators. Although he is and was extremely skilled in weaving, perhaps he has reached the pinnacle of weaving.

My sister and nephew (Come to think of it, most of us are related here) both stress enough to start behaving irrationally.. well more irrationally than usually.

Having seen this before I know that we have to do something. The younger dwarves are not concerned, but I get enough support from the older ones to do something about it.

Charges are fabricated and they are both convicted to serve jail time. One of the young ones come to me and talk of their concern for this course of action - worrying that I am a dictator. While I first say "So what if I am? I am the baroness after all!", but then decide to ease his fears, "It's purely for their own good, you'll see. She is my sister after all, do you think I would do this if it was bad for her?". It seems to calm him down.

In Hematite of 308 a goblin siege hits.

Suddenly my nightmares come back in full force. I order the main gate shut and all dwarves inside the walls. Then when I have assured myself that all citizens are inside, I also close the siege entrance.

The same dwarf that talked to me before about the jailings come running to me in a hall - "Are we not gonna fight the goblins?!" he says. I say "No". Then think for a few seconds while he is busy acting surprised. "How good are you with a crossbow?" I ask. "I have no training with the crossbow" he says. So I tell him: "Well, then YOU are not gonna fight the goblins, but I'll send up some of our trained dwarves on the walls".

See, most of the dwarves around here thought I was insane for commissioning a large fortification system built with lead blocks. "We're called Ledpaddled, not LeAdpaddled, you know" my mother used to say. Well, now we're gonna use these walls to rain bolts of steel and copper and bone and.. probably lots of other materials, on the goblins.

I should note that we've tried this before with poor results. I notice though that this time the enemy has not brought any ranged weaponry. I order 5 of our somewhat experienced marksdwarves into the sheriffs squad. (He's only allowed a crossbow, for reasons explained earlier in these scrolls). Then I manage to explain to them that they should keep 4 people up on the walls and walk around and shoot at the goblins, the remaining 2 are to rest and recuperate, switching around on a monthly basis.

"Monthly?" one of them ask, "The goblins are not gonna be around that long!". I ask "Have you looked outside? There are over 100 enemies out there. You don't even carry enough bolts to take 1 shot at each between the 4 of you!".

Fort life goes on mostly normally, except the screaming on the surface and the incessant running to get more bolts. Good thing we stocked up some years ago.

The other dwarves fail for the first time to fulfil my mandate for more swords. I order a dwarf punished by serving jail time, "Which one?" our sheriff asks me. "Just pick the first one you see" I say. "Well, I see..." he starts. "OTHER THAN ME, IDIOT".

Man, this guy.

At least he got it done.

---

The siege disperses after a while, apparently a lot of enemies got stuck up in trees, unable to fight or flee. Eventually they figure it out, with some bone bolt persuasion.

Our resident entertainer and goblin outsmarter decides to petition for citizenship, I oblige, always useful to have more helping hands with the various projects.

---

In 309 another entertainer petitions for residency, having rejected this applicant before, I give some thought to what my mother was always talking about - the forts future and how we need children. Well, its been a while since the last birth. I approve the petition - hoping Lorbam will want to become a citizen later.

---

It's Granite of 310. The "shaft" as I've taken to call it, is almost complete. Or rather, the shaft part is complete, the pump system to raise magma is almost complete and the power source construction has not even started yet.

Crashes are fun huh?

Happy 60th anniversary Ledpaddled.

Spoiler: DF shenanigans (click to show/hide)

Available for dorfing:
Olin, 6, male
Momuz, 4, female
Details posted on demand.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:45:24 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledpaddled - A distinct lack of children [60 years]
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:30 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 310, the writing is scratchy
Thîkut Ducimlerteth

The enemy arrived again in the fourth month in 310 and I didn't even have to run through them to get to safety! Some of the others weren't so lucky!

Avuz got the magical inspiration, looking good!

I hope he makes something cool
Note to self: continue sentence when not so nervous

---

OOC
Thikuts stress level was high on admittance and continued to rise. Jailing dwarves has seemed to serve me well so far - but I think I've gotten lucky with their personalities - doesn't seem to work so well with this one.

The siege mess was due to a tree I think. Was a while since I played this.
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledpaddled - Now with 13% more crazy [60 years]
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2020, 02:42:29 pm »

On a pig tail scroll dated 310, the writing is erratic
Thîkut Ducimlerteth

What yakcrap! "You're not doing anything anyway" they said. As if I could! All chained up like this. I'll write what I want now! Maybe I'll mention what they tell me to write, so they don't throw this out.

Avuz, who I mentioned last scroll finished apparently. A floodgate. That's a bit of a letdown.

The others did show it to me though, after I asked - I guess they aren't totally heartless. And how magnificent it is! Much more then "a floodgate" would indicate.

---

I can hear hurried steps in the stairwell outside my cell. I think we're being attacked.

Apparently the baroness got the bright idea that even though the invader trap wasn't finished, it mattered little since a fall will kill as much as magma will.

I just hope they don't make me clean up the bodies corpses goblins.

Apprently the "other" alåth died to bow goblins, or maybe marksdwarves. This war is so confusing! Why are there dwarves fighting with the goblins! Although I can totally see why you wouldn't want to fight the goblins

ïngiz had her third baby during the attack as well! I hope nothing horrible happens to them! Like falling down the shaft onto the goblins I hope they give me more to write on so I can edit out these mistakes.

---

It's been some time, although it's hard to tell in this cell. One of the others remembered I wanted to see the floodgate artifact, so he came by with another newly made artifact! How nice! I'll murder him last

---

Dear diary, I don't feel like murdering writing in you anymore.

Dwarven physics at its finest

Yes. that is body parts that made it through a solid wall. Or perhaps a wall and then a floor, there is an access path beneath those parts.

Ledpaddled

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4