Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (SG) Flight of the Dragon Lord  (Read 7579 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Flight of the Dragon Lord
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:55 pm »

It takes you all of two seconds to decide that you don't want to explore the Orange River and nearby coastal hunts. It takes a bit longer to figure out your next move.

You call upon Dean Mapleseat once more, and ask her about the ruined colony, hoping to learn more about the place and why it was abandoned.

"My people called it The Bleached Beaches, and it was built as a penal colony," the high elf explains, "a place for the Startower States to send criminals who were of too noble a birth to execute or imprison. It was active for about a hundred and fifty years, until my people received control of the Paradise Islands at the end of the Silver Wars. It was determined that the Paradise Islands were a much more humane and hospitable place to house our exiles, so pretty much the entire colony packed up and moved. A few chose to stay behind, but my uncle traveled the coast of Doomrus 200 years ago, and found no sign of living high elves when he arrived at The Bleached Beaches. It is likely they wandered off, escaped back to society, or lacked the numbers to defend themselves against the horrors of the continent."

Mapleseat goes on to explain that because her people believe that even criminal exiles deserve an education, Goldwalls University, the institution she represents, was contracted to build a scholar's tower at the Bleached Beaches in its hayday, but because of the harsh restrictions regarding magical practices and owned slave headcount put on the exiles, the project was quickly abandoned as impractical, leaving only a foundation. "This does mean that Goldwalls University has an extensive archives of maps and reports on The Bleached Beaches and surrounding area. Archives which I have had copied and brought along with me on this journey."

The Dean goes on to explain that these last few days of sailing down the coast has given her a better idea as to her exact location. She can now estimate that the colony is eight through fourteen days of sailing away.

This information is enough to satisfy you. You give the order to keep sailing until you arrive at the Bleached Beaches.

---

You spend the next day with Princess Ni'gwent. It takes some work to convince her to leave Dr. Seville's eventual Spell Labs alone; The thought of livestock and logistics bores her, but eventually you get through by selling her on the idea of a personal menagerie of exotic local critters.

---

With Grom-Chul's help, you track down Flyooshy for a day of conversation. The elder is quite flattered that you are even speaking to her and eager to be of assistance, but is unable to give you anything useful right away. The Clownfin will have to scope out the seafloor of any site you choose to settle before they know anything about it. "All seas look the same from the surface, yar'grace," she explains.

One thing you do come away with, however, is that Flyooshy does not seem quite as dead-set on a defensible harbor as Grom-Chul is. She notes that while a defensible position would be nice, she is sure that she can count on you to protect your workers should trouble arise, and that a location exposed to the currents of an open ocean would allow for the construction of sub-surface mills and the eventual mass production of aquatic flowers and dyes.

---

Two days have passed out of the eight to fourteen between you and the Bleached Beaches. How would you like to spend the remaining 6-12?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »

Reviewing the maps and archives of the Bleached Beaches would be an obvious first step.

Getting a better handle on the construction methods and times of our various pawns might be a good second one. We know the elves are going to use slave labor to gather up enough sand to produce grand marble and glass academies, but we're not sure how long that will take. We don't know how the tieflings or clownfin intend to shelter themselves at all yet.

If there's time left after that, we should probably get a more in-depth read on some of our minions. Currently our major leaders/factions include:
-Dr. Seville of the Flora-Fauna-Brewing High Elves (1400 Scholars)
-Dean Mapleseat of the Magical Treasure High Elves (1400 Scholars)
-Princess Ni'gwent of the Nonstandard Fairy Tale Wedding Elves (200 Servants and Bodyguards, including some of the strongest mages)
-Cori and Cameron Moonblood of the Breeding Program Tieflings (4500 Isolationists, including one who can burrow through stone)
-Prophet Diabold (and/or possibly his 13 Apostles) of the Mysterious Cult Tieflings (7000 Refugees, including powerful priests and supposedly bearing the favor of their god)
-Grom'Chul of the Slave Driver Orcs (90 Slave Drivers, 15 of which are highly paid mercenaries and the rest are inept indentured servants)
-Flyooshy of the Slave Clownfin (7000 Content Pawns, including many petty mage-leaders such as Flyooshy)

There's cases to be made for any of them, but I think I'm leaning towards, in order of priority:

Diabold and/or his Apostles to learn more about their religion and our largest "free" colonist bloc
Dr. Seville to learn more about what his academy will be able to do for us
Princess Ni'gwent to learn more about her plans for our eventual castle/palace/lair and continue pampering her
Flyooshy and/or Grom'Chul to learn more about what kind of resource base we can rely on the clownfin providing
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 06:57:53 pm »

Besides keeping the elves happen, talk to Apex and Clown Fin. The Orcs are slavers, they know the value of their trade. In this case the clown fin. And try to show said beings we can be benevolent.

Though yeah got to play the game of making everyone happy but it’s going to get harder.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 07:06:34 pm »

Explore the coast a little looking for treasure.

I mean, yeah we can talk, but we've got a new world here.  Might as well see if there's anything nice.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 12:03:49 am »

I mean, yeah we can talk, but we've got a new world here.  Might as well see if there's anything nice.
Capital Idea! Let's go out into this totally-not-cursed-continent, and bring back some treasure that has totally-no-chance of being cursed as well. There's no way that could go wrong, like, at all!

Silly sarcasm aside, we might want to ask dean mapleseat to set up a "safe space" for artifacts to be kept, before we even attempt to do this. Finding out what a specific magical thingy does while travelling at sea, could bear heavy potential risks. A minor risk of it happening? Sure. A major risk that could screw us over from the get-go should something happen? Quite possible.

Reviewing the maps and archives of the Bleached Beaches would be an obvious first step.

Getting a better handle on the construction methods and times of our various pawns might be a good second one. We know the elves are going to use slave labor to gather up enough sand to produce grand marble and glass academies, but we're not sure how long that will take. We don't know how the tieflings or clownfin intend to shelter themselves at all yet.

-snip -

There's cases to be made for any of them, but I think I'm leaning towards, in order of priority:

Diabold and/or his Apostles to learn more about their religion and our largest "free" colonist bloc
Princess Ni'gwent to learn more about her plans for our eventual castle/palace/lair and continue pampering her
Flyooshy and/or Grom'Chul to learn more about what kind of resource base we can rely on the clownfin providing
Sounds good. Focusing on the matters at hand, and more nebulous factions of ours first.
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 12:20:38 am »

Capital Idea! Let's go out into this totally-not-cursed-continent, and bring back some treasure that has totally-no-chance of being cursed as well. There's no way that could go wrong, like, at all!

Silly sarcasm aside, we might want to ask dean mapleseat to set up a "safe space" for artifacts to be kept, before we even attempt to do this. Finding out what a specific magical thingy does while travelling at sea, could bear heavy potential risks. A minor risk of it happening? Sure. A major risk that could screw us over from the get-go should something happen? Quite possible.

I doubt we'd actually find treasure, but what's the point of going to a new continent and not exploring things?  As of now we have no permanent base, no hordes of dependants, and all our forces are currently packed up on boats.  This may be the only genuine chance we have to act free of specific responsabilities and subject to none but our own desires.  I think we should take advantage of that by looking at this place where we're going to live, in some small way, firsthand.  There will be meetings, discussions, and endless politicking for the entire future to come.  We should use this one free week to enjoy ourselves before we are permanently tied down.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 04:57:41 am »

-snip -

Sounds good. Focusing on the matters at hand, and more nebulous factions of ours first.
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 05:39:08 am »

-snip -

+1
+1
+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 03:40:59 am »

You decide to spend a day with Dean Mapleseat's archives regarding The Bleached Beaches, learning as much about the former and future colony as you can. You can tell The High Elf is not keen to let a dragon leaf through her collection of documents, but to her credit, she doesn't outwardly object to the activity.

The Bleached Beaches, you learn, is situated on and around a natural harbor called The Whalefluke. In its heyday the settlement was divided into three districts:

Elm Island sits in the mouth of the harbor, and is covered by a small un-haunted forest: a rarity in Doomrus. In the penal colony days the island housed a mixture of humans and dwarves who were tasked with preventing the exiles from escaping The Bleached Beaches, as well as launching fishing vessels to keep the scatter brained High Elves fed. Elm Island has a large port and system of long docks; It was forbidden to leave seaworthy ships anywhere else in the colony, less the exiles get to them.

The Bleached Cape is a low lying peninsula that is almost entirely covered by a walled town that the High Elves called Chainbleach back in penal times. Urvile Mapleseat, the most recent explorer to visit the colony, claims that although most of the buildings are now ruined, the town walls, inquisitor's hall, and subterranean desalination and waste processing station all remain structurally sound. This information, however, is just over 200 years old. The marble foundation of the aborted Goldwalls University tower sits near the center of the ghost town.

Mount Ogre-Ear, said to be the third tallest peak in all of Doomrus, looms the colony. Several dozen large High Elf Manors, which once housed the most important exile households, dot the slope which overlooks the bay. These manors, constructed with superior High Elf Magic and Architecture, were all standing when Urvile Mapleseat visited 200 years ago. Aside from providing high value real estate, Mount Ogre-Ear also serves as a natural barrier between the colony and the haunted woods which lay beyond.

Aside from the layout of The Bleached Beaches, you learn a few other interesting facts while reading through Dean Mapleseat's archives.

The Whalefluke is named such because every seventh year a rarely seen species called the Abyssal Toothed Whale arrives at the harbor in large numbers to mate and give birth, a process that takes ten to thirteen months. High Elf Scholars speculate that The Whalefluke may be the only place in the world where creatures breed.

Dean Mapleseat keeps a large scroll of strange ancient elfish runes that she has labeled as a ritual created by the original inhabitants that likely serves to boost the rate of plant growth on Elm Island so that its small forest can provide for a healthy lumber industry. Mapleseats own notes suggest that the ritual would require several trained FFB mages to perform. The Dean, however, has recently cursed the scroll to self-immolate should it be touched or read by anyone affiliated with the University of High Haven, as she cannot allow her rival Dr. Seville the glory of carrying out the ritual and establishing a sustainable supply of wood. You can't help but admire the female elf's arrogance and ego, even as you curse her impracticality.

Lastly, you read several interesting reports about the manor house situated closed to the summit of Mount Ogre-Ear. The building, called High Fang, was once home to the Black Prince DiXander, a legendary warrior mage who famously slew the Red Dragon Trigorr, only to be convicted of Capital Miscegenation and banished when he took the queen of said vanquished dragon's Elemental Elf Worshipers as a wife. Apparently Prince DiXander and his wife, Queen Olivescales, spent much of their time exploring the continent, and their mansion is said to contain both a tunnel to the dangerous far slope of the mountain, and a map of their exploits carved into the trophy room floor.

---

Your attempt to gather information on the methods and timing of your pawns' construction efforts goes poorly. Grom'Chul assures you that he should be able to get the clownfin to build with marble blocks, but that he has never actually made slaves build with stone before, so he has no clue how fast they might work. To make matters worse, neither Dr. Seville nor Dean Mapleseat trust the half-orc not to share their plans with their counterpart, so he doesn't even expect to see blueprints until the day the clownfin are supposed to begin work.

When you engage the half orc about the resources that the Clownfin may provide, the answer is likewise unenthusiastic. "They can mill various flowers if we expose them to the dangers of the open ocean," he offers, "and I suppose we could try feeding sea-bread to the elves, but no self respecting orc would eat such tripe. We can only hope that our new home will have a species of fish or crustacean suitable for them to farm. ...I guess they can make some pretty neat dyes as well, if you are into that."

---

Deciding not to torture yourself by 'conversing' with the mute Prophet Diabold once again, you try your luck at landing a one-on-one meeting with one of his apostles. This goes poorly at first. Most refuse your invitation, claiming that since you do not possess demonic blood, to converse with you outside their duties as translator to the prophet would be sinful. Eventually, however, you strike the jackpot when Lux, the youngest of Diabold's apostles, agrees to meet with you on the condition that you lower yourself to adopting a Tiefling-like form. Several hours later, you are in his cabin.

Lux gives you the run down on the tenets of his faith. Their deity Bahammed was one of the 13 gods to walk the world before the coming of the dwarves, and like his twelve counterparts, he was hunted down and defeated by the gods and kings of early dwarfkind. The victorious dwarves, however, did not kill Bahammed outright; Instead, they cut off each of his four limbs, sealed him in an adamantine vault, and dropped him down a magma shaft deep below the earth. Satisfied that they had condemned their foe to an eternity of undying torment and burning, the dwarves left Bahammed's limbs to rot, not knowing that the anger of their former owner would cause each to rise as a mighty demon.

"Bahammed seeks death, as his existence is nothing but suffering." Lux explains, "to this end, the god has made a pact with our prophet. Diabold will lead his followers to hunt down and destroy the demons of the four limbs. Doing so will allow Bahammed to die. Exactly what the god is doing for us in return is a closely guarded secret. I am not permitted to speak of what little I know on the matter, aside from that fact that Bahammed's death will mean the end of the Xinut Empire, and that in the meantime myself and the other apostles wield powerful divine magics."

Lux goes on to explain that Cultists of the Four Limbs are drawn from all walks of life. The largest sub-group within the cult are Tieflings of dwarven blood running from the oppressive Xinut Empire, but Diabold himself, most of his apostles, and many of the cult's other prominent figures were born to Spirit Elf mothers in the vanishing Chia Woods. Lux offers that his mortal heritage is goblin, and that he joined the cult because Diabold could grant him visions to be used as inspiration for his art. "I am both a mason and a gem carver," he explains with no small amount of pride, "and since taking up the worship of Bahammed my work has been able to put even that of the dwarves to shame."

---

You find Dr. Seville and his plans to be quite the let down, at least in the short run. His goal is to extract flesh and fluid samples from local plants and animals for magical experimentation. Save for perhaps breeding rodents to serve as test subjects, he has no real interest in any sort of animal husbandry. As for the crops he brought, none of them are meant for eating; Most are merely components for commonly performed rituals, while a handful are simply mind altering drugs to enjoy. The only plants he has brought that are remotely pratical are several species of grape intended for wine making, and a kind of reed that can be turned into high quality cloth through a labor intensive and inefficient process.

---

Back in Princess Ni'gwent's cabin, you pester the she-elf to learn what she has planned in terms of a palace or lair. Ni'gwent, however, refuses to commit to anything until she knows where she will be building. This leads you to share much of what you have learned from Dean Mapleseat's archive. A wide smile spreads across Ni'Gwent's face as you tell her about the manor of The Black Prince DiXander.

"DiXander is a friend of mine!" She exclaims. It turns out that Princess Ni'gwent spent about a decade of her extended elfish childhood on the Paradise Islands, studying architecture under the exiled prince, and the lore and manners of chromatic dragons under his wife. She quickly declares that the Black Prince's manor will be her new home, and that once things settle down she will dispatch one of her ships to seek out DiXander and solicit his advice for upgrading the place into a proper palace or castle. "They really restrict the sort of homes that the exiles are allowed to live in," she explains, "but DiXander is a dreamer. I'm sure he has plans all drawn out for what he would do to his house if given free reign!"

Although she intends to improve upon the manor, Princess Ni'gwent has no doubt that it is already a suitable place to raise superior dragon blooded high elves. "Unless you offer me your hand in marriage by then, and choose to wait until the wedding night, I will celebrate my first night in my new home by giving myself to you completely. I dream of doing so every time I lay eyes on you. If you do not intend to follow elfish protocol, I don't intend to wait around for you to change your mind."

---

Several days later, Dean Mapleseat pulls you aside and points to a mountain in the distance. "That is the Mount Ogre-Ear. We will arrive at the mouth of The Whalefluke by sundown."

You nod. It dawns on you that this is your opportunity to put your foot down and take control. You know almost exactly what lies ahead, a luxury that very few of your peons enjoy. Perhaps you should give specific orders as to who should settle where and do what before you arrive; If the mortals are allowed to spread out and do their own thing, you might never gain full control over them.

How do you proceed?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:43:54 am by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 05:13:54 am »

Crude, probably inaccurate map for visualization purposes:

Quote from: Available Forces
-1400 High Elf Scholars (Dr. Seville of the Flora-Fauna-Brewing High Elves)
-1400 High Elf Scholars (Dean Mapleseat of the Magical Treasure High Elves)
-200 High Elf Servants and Bodyguards (Princess Ni'gwent of the Nonstandard Fairy Tale Wedding Elves)
-4500 Tieflings (Cori and Cameron Moonblood of the Breeding Program Tieflings)
-7000 Tieflings (Prophet Diabold and/or his 13 Apostles of the Mysterious Cult Tieflings)
-90 Orcish Slave Drivers (Grom'Chul of the Slave Driver Orcs)
-7000 Clownfin Slaves (Flyooshy of the Slave Clownfin and Innumerable Other Petty Mages)

Ships of the Fleet: Dock at Elm Island if there's room, or just anchor in the harbor otherwise. Ferry people and supplies where needed. We'll prioritize getting docks set up for locations that might benefit from them.

Elven Manors: Assign Grom'Chul one to help him feel fancy and indebted to us. Reserve the others for "individuals of noteworthy contribution," meaning the powerful and fawning.

Dr. Seville, Grom'Chul, and half our Clownfin: Get to work setting up Dr. Seville's campus. Make sure he knows he's getting it early because he's going to be using it to find us tasty staple foods and sustainable raw materials.

The other half of our Clownfin: Start setting up shop in the harbor and searching for viable farming/ranching stock. We'll leave it to Grom'Chul's judgement and the Clownfin's reporting as to the exact split between this task and the elven academy. Also, obviously they'll be clothing and feeding the elves in between other duties. Again, Grom'Chul's area of expertise.

Dean Mapleseat and her Elves: She wants the glory, she gets the glory. She's to get our infinite wood production started immediately using that fancy ritual of hers.

Cult Tieflings: Start settling the town and scouting for resources. The island has wood, but not enough until our rituals bear fruit. We know there's a haunted wood on the other side of the mountains they should be wary of, but if they're certain their god will protect them it's an option. They may use our ships for this purpose, but ensure they know how displeased will be if they damage our ships or subjects.

Eugenics Tieflings: Set up in the town for now, but start tunneling into the mountain if they still want their isolated subterranean settlement. Bonus points if their tunneling produces building materials for the rest of the town. Otherwise, they're also on scouting and figuring out how to be useful duty.

Princess Ni'gwent: Assist with any architectural endeavors the colony requires. Hold off on getting ravished by dragons for now, we'll propose once we have a suitably fancy ring.

Our Grand and Magnificent Personage: If the elves need us to empower their rituals, remain on hand for that. Otherwise, take wing and begin scouting our new home. Keep a particular eye out for suitable materials for the princess' engagement ring.

EDIT: Wait, this harbor is a "toothed abyssal whale" spawning ground. We should check in on that to make sure having toothed abyssal whales spawning in our harbor won't inconvenience the clownfin. Such as by eating inordinate numbers of them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:18:18 am by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 12:06:33 pm »

Ships of the Fleet: Dock at Elm Island if there's room, or just anchor in the harbor otherwise. Ferry people and supplies where needed. We'll prioritize getting docks set up for locations that might benefit from them.

Elven Manors: Assign Grom'Chul one to help him feel fancy and indebted to us. Reserve the others for "individuals of noteworthy contribution," meaning the powerful and fawning.

Dr. Seville, Grom'Chul, and half our Clownfin: Get to work setting up Dr. Seville's campus. Make sure he knows he's getting it early because he's going to be using it to find us tasty staple foods and sustainable raw materials.

The other half of our Clownfin: Start setting up shop in the harbor and searching for viable farming/ranching stock. We'll leave it to Grom'Chul's judgement and the Clownfin's reporting as to the exact split between this task and the elven academy. Also, obviously they'll be clothing and feeding the elves in between other duties. Again, Grom'Chul's area of expertise.

Dean Mapleseat and her Elves: She wants the glory, she gets the glory. She's to get our infinite wood production started immediately using that fancy ritual of hers.

Cult Tieflings: Start settling the town and scouting for resources. The island has wood, but not enough until our rituals bear fruit. We know there's a haunted wood on the other side of the mountains they should be wary of, but if they're certain their god will protect them it's an option. They may use our ships for this purpose, but ensure they know how displeased will be if they damage our ships or subjects.

Eugenics Tieflings: Set up in the town for now, but start tunneling into the mountain if they still want their isolated subterranean settlement. Bonus points if their tunneling produces building materials for the rest of the town. Otherwise, they're also on scouting and figuring out how to be useful duty.

Princess Ni'gwent: Assist with any architectural endeavors the colony requires. Hold off on getting ravished by dragons for now, we'll propose once we have a suitably fancy ring crown.

Our Grand and Magnificent Personage: If the elves need us to empower their rituals, remain on hand for that. Otherwise, take wing and begin scouting our new home. Keep a particular eye out for suitable materials for the princess' engagement crown.

EDIT: Wait, this harbor is a "toothed abyssal whale" spawning ground. We should check in on that to make sure having toothed abyssal whales spawning in our harbor won't inconvenience the clownfin. Such as by eating inordinate numbers of them.
Sounds sound.

Still though, a ring? Scratch that bauble - she is a princess, and to be married to the local ruler. We are getting her a crown!

One that will match with our own, to don if we dwell in humanoid form. And since we are  superior, we can hint at that by making ours a step above hers - nothing to insult her, but still. Appearances have to be kept.

Food for thought;
We might want to help the tiefling cult in the long run - dooming our worst enemies via a quite possibly resurrected original demon, might not be a bad idea. After we have set up shop, and others on the main continent have suffered some more (who knows, there might be a dragoness or two who wants to crash at our place before long?).
Eugenic demons use tunnels. They might be the best ones to turn to, if we want to include a fancy lair for ourselves in our future home. As for the payment, we know what they want. I do propose though, that we look into rituals that guarantee their ladies to have male children. Having one of our blood used as some sort of breeding sow, would be apalling - being a stud for breeding, quite less so.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 05:56:51 pm »

Still though, a ring? Scratch that bauble - she is a princess, and to be married to the local ruler. We are getting her a crown![/b]
One that will match with our own, to don if we dwell in humanoid form. And since we are  superior, we can hint at that by making ours a step above hers - nothing to insult her, but still. Appearances have to be kept.
I was mainly thinking of keeping with high elven traditions, which presumably requires a ring. Crowns are a good idea too, but we might want to wait until we have truly outstanding materials for them. Unless we want to just periodically upgrade them, which I suppose we could.

Obviously ours will be similar to hers but more magnificent, that's just common sense.

Food for thought;
We might want to help the tiefling cult in the long run - dooming our worst enemies via a quite possibly resurrected original demon, might not be a bad idea. After we have set up shop, and others on the main continent have suffered some more (who knows, there might be a dragoness or two who wants to crash at our place before long?).
Eugenic demons use tunnels. They might be the best ones to turn to, if we want to include a fancy lair for ourselves in our future home. As for the payment, we know what they want. I do propose though, that we look into rituals that guarantee their ladies to have male children. Having one of our blood used as some sort of breeding sow, would be apalling - being a stud for breeding, quite less so.
Ending the Xinut Empire sounds too good to be true. I wonder if Bahammud intends to do so by destroying the world. Maybe the 13 Gods were lynchpins in reality, so they kept him alive but tortured to sustain it? Idle speculation, but when the exiled cult of a god that just wants to die claims their actions will destroy the greatest empire in the world, I feel it pays to be wary.

Sow, stud, all the same to me. Though now that you mention it, dragonesses are very rare. I wonder if that will affect the gender ratio of half-dragon children.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 06:26:50 pm »

I for one agree in blood magic to make a male heir for CK dynasty sake.

The idea of a demon causing a ton of damage bothers me though. For dragons are supposed to be top dogs. Not the case anymore, unless dig something with this Destroyer demon thing.

Instead of overpowering a cunning plan to keep it loyal to us. But that’s tricky.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2018, 04:13:31 am »

As the fleet approaches the mouth of the harbor, you gather your important peons, brief them on their new home, and dole out orders.

Quote from: Available Forces
-1400 High Elf Scholars (Dr. Seville of the Flora-Fauna-Brewing High Elves)
-1400 High Elf Scholars (Dean Mapleseat of the Magical Treasure High Elves)
-200 High Elf Servants and Bodyguards (Princess Ni'gwent of the Nonstandard Fairy Tale Wedding Elves)
-4500 Tieflings (Cori and Cameron Moonblood of the Breeding Program Tieflings)
-7000 Tieflings (Prophet Diabold and/or his 13 Apostles of the Mysterious Cult Tieflings)
-90 Orcish Slave Drivers (Grom'Chul of the Slave Driver Orcs)
-7000 Clownfin Slaves (Flyooshy of the Slave Clownfin and Innumerable Other Petty Mages)

Princess Ni'gwent: Assist with any architectural endeavors the colony requires. Hold off on getting ravished by dragons for now, we'll propose once we have a suitably fancy ring.

Our Grand and Magnificent Personage: If the elves need us to empower their rituals, remain on hand for that. Otherwise, take wing and begin scouting our new home. Keep a particular eye out for suitable materials for the princess' engagement ring.

The harbor looks exactly how you would expect it to based on the maps. The water here is clear and calm, and the fleet docks at Elm Island without any issue. Several hours later, ships scatter, carrying small parties of mooks to scout the area and begin to carry out your commands.

---

You decide to survey the sight from the Sky. As good as it feels to re-assume your true form after spending months cooped up on a boat and in a humanoid body, what you see puts you in a foul mood: the Bleached Beaches appear to be in slightly worse repair than Urvile Mapleseat's two hundred years old notes would suggest; Urvile reported that all the mansions on Mount Ogre-Ear still stood, but five out of the 26 that you can count appear to have collapsed. The town walls of Chainbleach on the Bleached Cape, which stood firm two centuries ago, seem to have been violently breached in several locations, and the gate seems to be missing from its hinges.

Beyond the settlement, all you can see is haunted woods, ocean, and rocky coastline which seperates the two. Flying up to your maximum altitude reveals another mountain in the distance, but beyond that the land appears to be a colorful yet featureless haunted canopy from above.

To explore this place, you must either commit to wandering a good distance from the settlement, leaving your mooks to their own devices for what is likely to be at least several days, or assume a smaller form and investigate the haunted woods on foot in hopes that the canopy is concealing nearby secrets from your elevated vantage point. You also suppose you could check out the Black Prince's map, which is supposed to be carved into the trophy room of the highest manor on the hill.

---

Returning from your brief flight, you receive reports from your various underlings. For the most part your orders are being followed without issue or argument, but a few matters have arisen that may require your attention.

-Dr. Seville has informed Grom'Chul that his scholars will need at least two weeks to draw up plans for their tower and create enough marble to build it. In the meantime, the Half'Orc is allowing the Clownfin to focus exclusively on getting set up in the harbor.

-Grom'Chul also has a request for you; His 90 orcs will be enough to direct the Clownfin to complete various tasks on your behalf, but not to drive them to work at maximum efficency, especially if you intend to divide the labor up towards several tasks at once. "Also, although I don't forsee the Clownfin getting uppity any time soon, if they were to rebel now, it would likely end poorly for me," the half orc explains. At minimum, he would like your blessing to draft and train 300 tieflings and/or high elves as slave drivers, although he could easily find use for up to 500 extra 'free' hands.

-Princess Ni'gwent has moved into the Black Prince's mansion, even though you didn't give her explicit permission to do so.

-Tol-Gurra, The Prophet Diabold's most senior apostle, has gathered several hundred cultists, and seems to be providing them with leather armor, bows, quivers and hatchets. Although nobody outside of Cult Leadership knows the purpose of this armed gathering, it stands to reason, based on the gear they have been provided, that they intend to explore the woods.

-Dean Mapleseat is more than willing to help you perform "your silly little forestry charm," but admits that she had not found the ritual scroll terribly interesting, and as such didn't come prepared to actually perform it. She will need three things from you to get the job done.

First and formost, she will need some mages talented in FFB magic - Ten of Dr. Seville's intermediate students or four of his advanced scholars should be enough to do the trick. It is unlikely the Dr. Seville's students would be keen to betray their school and aid Dean Mapleseat in this endeavor.

Next she will require whale blubber - specifically from the toothed abyssal whale. Going off of her archives, said whales are scheduled to return to the harbor in three years. She speculates that the blubber of other toothed whales can be substituted, especially if you are willing to aid in the ritual yourself. One large toothed whale, or ten dolphins should do the trick. Should you choose to hunt the actual abyssal whale, which is rarely seen outside of the harbor during breeding season, the ritual will require two or three of the orca sized critters.

The last ritual component that Dean Mapleseat lacks is a large amount Terra Salt, a magical substance specifically manufactured by high elves for use in rituals. Once she has her scholar's tower, the dean's underlings should be able to produce Terra Salt in the lab, although it will likely take a year or two to output the amount required. Alternatively, if she can find enough valuables to trade, Mapleseat can simpily dispatch a ship or two to the Startower States to buy what she needs.

How do you proceed?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:47 pm »

Gah, no infinite wood for us.

Forget the ritual for now. If it'll be two years or a round trip back home until the earliest we could get it started anyway, we might as well focus on easier infrastructure. Might even be easier to get the FFB elves to make a new ritual instead, if they're required to cast this one anyway.

Instead, make sure her elves are doing something productive for the settlement. Like transmuting building materials for the other colonists, though since this is semi-dead space we can probably leave the specifics to her scatterbrained elf judgement.

Approve Grom'Chul's full request. Our food and possibly raw material production is more important than most of what our colonists could be doing right now. Besides, slave driver is a prestigious position.

Check out the Black Prince's map, and advise the tiefling group of any important revelations therein. No sense letting our minions wander into trouble blind when we've got a map of it lying around.

Presumably our personal course of action should be either long-range aerial scouting or going along with the tiefling group as added muscle, but I'm not sure which. Checking out the map and then seeing if it mentions anything interesting is also a possibility.

Another option would be seeing if we can aid in any rituals directly, perhaps getting the settlement off the ground quicker. Probably should have checked on this and the map from the start.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6