Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)  (Read 4611 times)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Planning II)
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:52 pm »

You say fluff, but a good GM will make that fluff turn into a physical effect if it's ignored. Otherwise, why would they keep record of that and relationships and all that?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2019, 09:21:32 pm »

You say fluff, but a good GM will make that fluff turn into a physical effect if it's ignored. Otherwise, why would they keep record of that and relationships and all that?
For *fun* in the game. It makes it more interesting to have connections and stuff. Not everything has to have an effect in the game to matter.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

...True, not all flavor text matters. I just like crunchy mechanics and secret plusses and minuses based on interactions with grumpy/happy people.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2019, 11:24:44 pm »

MoP said that we can leave favours unpaid for a while with no real consequences, iirc. We should aim to pay them off eventually, but not this turn (unless we can do so for ‘free’).
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:36 pm »

Planning II

Pyrinikos had been tasked with heading to the Forum and offering Flavian gladiators up for fights in upcoming games. While passing by the Gambling Den a man in chains outside of it begins violently vomiting blood before collapsing face-first into it, motionless. An ornately robed man kicks the fresh corpse.

Pyrinikos opens his mouth to protest, but is immediately cut off.

"Useless!" the shouts angrily, his toes biting into the dead man's chest, "Now what in the..." the man looks up and catches Pyrinikos' eye. He rushes up while a couple armed guards clean the corpse off the streets.

"Excellent! Perfect! You're with the Flavii, no?"

Pyrinikos opens his mouth to reply but is immediately cut off.

"Oh certainly the fates have smiled upon me today. That useless pile of meat being dragged off was supposed to fight in an upcoming game in the gambling den. However he used winnings to purchase a most exotic...mistress. One who cursed him with her diseased body," the man spat, "Either way, if you have a gladiator to fill his place, perhaps I can put in a good word? You'll get the winnings. I just need to save face. What do you think?"

Pyrinikos thinks for a brief moment and opens his mouth to reply, but is immediately cut off.

"Perfect! Follow me inside! Let's speak to the fight manager himself..."

[-Fate Token]

Pyrinikos had an easy enough time booking one fight, but the other proved to be an issue...

The manager for the Forum Arena shakes his head while thumbing through loose documentation, "Sorry, but the fight is already booked up. I might be able to speak to the Caelii about dropping their fighter, but they'll likely want something in return [READ: Any Token]. Shame I won't be able to inform the Magnii of the change before the fight..."

[GM NOTE: When a booking is contested certain factors determine who gets priority booking. An attempt can be made to replace an NPC gladiator at the cost of a token. However as noted the opposing team will not be informed of the changes prior to the fight. No you do not get to select another booking, and no you will not be given the opportunity to replace fighters unless both teams attempt to book the same slot. Can't think of any more questions to answer prematurely.]

Heading through the forum, a number of shops catch Pyrinikos' eye, as does Auroros, the Slave Trader. Pyrinikos catches his eye as well. Auroros enthusiastically gestures him over.

"Ah, I'd recognize a fellow associate of the Flavii anywhere! I must say, thanks to the family's recent, ah, exhibition of my goods, I have certainly seen an increase in business. Enough so that I've been thinking about expanding business! A bargain was struck and the terms have been met, and I have to say I am certainly pleased. What can I do for you today?"

[Auroros: -Owed Favor, +Relationship, +1 Future Stock]

Athenian Refugee
Traits: Athenian, Broken
-Vitality: 9
-Agility: 9
-Technique: 8
-Style: 7
Equipment: Rags

Briton Prisoner of War
Traits: Briton, Ex-Soldier
-Vitality: 7
-Agility: 5
-Technique: 8 (+1 if Technique (???))
-Style: 6

Cretan Hunter
Traits: Cretan, Quiet, Quick
-Vitality: 8
-Agility: 8
-Technique: 4 (+1 if Technique (???))
-Style: 10

Looking at the potential gladiators, it's also important to keep in mind that it is also time to stock up on equipment for our gladiators, as well as work on general improvements to the household and holdings.

IT IS NOW THE ACTION PHASE.

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Family Status (click to show/hide)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2019, 09:09:13 pm »

"Any changes to the plan, or..?"
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:16 pm »

Quote from: Shopping Trip
From a certain perspective, the blacksmith really was right. Everything he made...out of metal... was truly excellent. From a different perspective, he was not so great, providing us with truly mediocre non-metallic equipment and coming to a grand total of 50% success. So instead of returning to him immediately, we have sought out a reputable dealer of simpler armor, to provide us with better Cloth Wrappings and a sturdier, properly-constructed, reinforced Thureos Shield (-1 Fortune token).

We have, however, returned to our friend Marcus Malleus, to invest in getting some well-crafted helmets fitted for our gladiators. Specifically, we are looking to have him craft a pair of polished bronze Corinthian helmets with blue-and-black-striped horsehair crests so that anyone can instantly identify a Flavius gladiator purely based on the FABULOUSNESS inherent in their attire. In return, we have begun promoting him and his (metallic) products all over the city with our reputation of gladiatorial victors. (-1 Fame token)

Finally, we have searched the entire city to find the best of the city's leatherworkers. We have searched out such a craftsman to have them make a truly amazing piece of armor, a cuirass of hardened leather, dyed pitch black and with polished bronze studs. Inlaid in suitable polished bronze across the chest is [INSERT APPROPRIATE FAMILY BRAND/CREST/IMAGE THING]. We have offered to promote them amongst the other families and supporters of the gladiatorial games to increase their business very rapidly. (-1 Fame token)

Quote from: It's Not Spying, Just Business
Using 1 Fate token:
One of our family members (Whoever dgr's character is, whenever we sort that out) has suddenly stumbled into a most interesting position. He has leveraged the family name to become a minor clerk at the forum arena...and has become most useful at giving us just a few extra details about fights there that we may be interested in.

Quote from: This is plan. It is good plan.
AVAILABLE ASSETS:
Fortune x2
Fame x2
Fate x2
Assorted family members

ACTIONS:
Chilonis of Sparta; (-1 Fate)
More Comfortable Ludus; (-1 Fortune)
Send a family member to investigate results of Magnii fights from last turn (no tokens)
It's Not Spying, Just Business (-1 Fate)

PURCHASES:
Shopping Trip (equipment proposal) (-1 Fortune, -2 Fame)

TOKENS REMAINING:
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2019, 09:33:54 pm »

"This plan has my approval, though you might need to make links back to those things we already mentioned, my girl and the renovations. Anywho, my vote's in!"
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2019, 01:22:14 pm »

I have my concerns about spending all our tokens- I'd lean towards buying less equipment. But then again, if we spend less on equipment, we're less likely to win the fights that give us more tokens. So, sure, I'll go with that plan.

Quote from: V(oteb)ox Populi
Plan "This is plan. It is good plan.": (2) KitRougard, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »

Plan "This is plan. It is good plan.": (3) KitRougard, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »

Plan "This is plan. It is good plan.": (4) KitRougard, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Madman

I think, that for now, this is one of the best possible assortments of actions. Losing out on the possibility of gaining credits from that fight sucks, but we could be in a worse position for sure. We COULD trade off additional information on future fights in exchange for a shot at the Magnii….but I don't believe that it's worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]