Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alien Protectorate, Earth (Spam)  (Read 1685 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Protectorate, Earth (Spam)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 12:18:40 pm »

CE

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 03:50:46 pm »

DH2 Selected.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We are part of the resistance. The Zhuul will plunder Earth to the bedrock, and leave Humanity extinct. Most of the world may have capitulated, but we will be free or die trying.

What is our command structure?
A) Decentralized and ad-hoc. We will have issues with resources, large operations, and R&D, but they we will have an easy time recovering from setbacks. Given that they regularly mindrape outgoing slaves, this may be necessary if we are to operate on Earth in the long run.
B) A small underground base. We will largely keep our heads down, behind a large shield made of a lead-aluminum alloy which has been determined to block psychic powers. This will allow us to build up a small elite force in relative secret, but will limit how many operations we can run and our resource gathering.
We expect several other resistance groups, fully disconnected from our own. Should our main base fall, survivors may be able to flee to another group and carry on.
C) Several small underground bases scattered across the globe. Similar to B, except we will stand alone, and thus have the moral responsibility to fight and resist our conquerors, and have both more resources and suffer more when our agents are interrogated.

Currently, what is our goal for achieving freedom?
D) Abandon Earth. It hurts, but this will likely be the easiest way to earn our freedom. All we have to do is get a ship, either by hijacking one from vicious psychic wolverine-bears and loading it with everything a self-sufficient colony needs before the Zhuul are alerted, or by reverse-engineering their ships and secretly building a giant vessel in an underground hangar. Then flee pursuit, and find an undeveloped world before it breaks down.
E) Prepare to evict them with the help of their enemies. The enemy of my enemy will hopefully not mindrape us while pillaging our homeworld if we help them. We'll have to build up a resistance, research their rivals somehow, and figure out how to contact them.
F) Make them leave ourselves. Hopefully they won't get annoyed and glass Earth on the way out.
G) Find a sympathetic Zhuul and try to get them promoted to being in charge of Earth.

What have we researched other than the base-sized psychic shield?
H) (Craft focus) Single-stage to orbit shuttles. Not flight tested, for secrecy concerns.
I) (Power focus) Small fusion generators. Great for keeping a base quiet and self-sufficient, and a step towards next-gen tanks.
J) (Psy focus) A sort of psychic flash-bang the size of a large suitcase. Gives humans a headache, incapacitates the small, pre-sapient Zhuul. Untested on adult Zhuul.
K) (Plasma focus) A magnetic plasma containment chamber, the precursor to plasma weapons.
L) (Gun focus) A railgun battery able to reach orbit to deal light damage. We expect to need better sensors to actually use this in combat.
M (Materials focus) Zhuul use armor made of an advanced alloy which manages to be extremely dense yet only moderately heavy. We have figured out how to make this in laboratory conditions, and how to shape existing samples.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 05:46:13 pm »

B, F/D (mainly F but with preparations for D if that proves to be infeasible or results in glassing), I
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »

Hm, +1 to BFI
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:07 pm »

A Decentralized

G With the planetary governor in our pocket we can pursue longer term goals.

K Plasma?

Historically the proper place of a resistance is in service of some minor power.  We can get more resources and influence things in a bigger way.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 12:16:57 am »

B, F/D (mainly F but with preparations for D if that proves to be infeasible or results in glassing), I
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 07:31:10 am »

Oh, we all agree on BFI, but I'm slipping a write-in too.

From the desk of Commander "Thousandmasks"

I had a conversation with some of my men that left me thinking about Humanity's future. I had to step in because there was an argument punctuated with guns about the Zhuul, and after talking it down, I learned: While many of us fight for freedom, for independance from the Zhuul, some fight to prove to them that we are equals. It's an odd idea, but... Imagine if we do repel the Zhuul. What then? We have scrapped-together spaceships, ramshackle weaponry, and a bunch of stolen Zhuul tech. We're going to look like savages to any other Sentients out there. But that arguing soldier had a point - Imagine now that we became the Zhuul's equal in warfare. Our enginuity with their savagery, our strategy where their foes expect none, our resilience where they need to rest! We could benefit from this...
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:55 pm »

BFI selected, with D has a backup plan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civilization level 85: Billions of humans lie dead, and many cities are glowing craters. But the bombs seemed to be aimed more at crippling our morale than at crippling Humanity. Much of our industrial capacity is largely intact, if not fully usable due to resource shortages or missing workers. It would take a global effort, but we could likely still set foot on the moon in a decade, if the Zhuul suddenly died off tomorrow. The current largest threats are rampaging Zhuul spawn and disorganized slaving/pillaging.

The Zhuul spawn are a new and constant threat. The governments are currently focused on trying to combat them to maintain some degree of normalcy, and to keep the farms running.

The most significant rebel leader is Commander Thousandmasks. He is something of an anomaly, in that he could forgive the many atrocities the Zhuul have wrought, if an alliance would bring our descendants to a position of strength on the galactic stage.

You are in command of Base Salvation. You will drive the Zhuul away from Earth, while preparing an exit strategy to ensure Humanity survives.

What are the biggest strengths of the base? 2 expected, any non-all number possible if you wish to split it.
A) Laboratory - One of the most advanced laboratories in the world, scavenged from a nearly-complete state-of-the-art facility.
B) Engineering (Wide) - You have a wide array of tools, documentation, and blueprints, technically capable of rebuilding modern civilization from raw materials. So long as you have supplies, your base will be able to supply all it needs, and easily restart outside infrastructure.
C) Engineering (Quality) - Exquisite manufacturing facilities, which should be capable of rebuilding alien technology. Knowing the Zhuul, rebuilding it better than when it was "new."
D) Engineering (Quantity) - Extensive manufacturing lines tooled for mass-production. Whether guns, tanks, aircraft, or supplies, you'll be able to supply a good sized fighting force.
E) Extensive Hidden Tunnels - You have hidden tunnels leading miles away, and fake facilities near the other entrances, primed to self-destruct. You'll be harder to locate, and have a get-out-of-jail free card.
F) Extra Air Capacity - You'll be able to store, maintain, and field plentiful aircraft from hidden launch bays.
G) Large Military training fields - You can train and house a small army of soldiers in secret. This would be very welcome for other resistance groups.
H) Full Warehouses - You have a great deal of supplies and materials stored.
I) Logistics & Planning Center - Comes with skilled planners. Very useful for keeping things running outside of your base.
J) Military Ops Center - Comes with skilled strategists and tacticians, as well as advanced computers for planning and simulating battles.
K) Hydroponic farming array and supply backbone - With this and your fusion plants, you could hide away for years with no surface contact.

Do you have any military plans for the immediate future? Carries varying levels of risk of discovery, which you might not learn about until later.
L) Help clear out local Zhuul spawn.
M) Disrupt local slaving operations. Highest chance of discovery, although the incompetence of underlings is unlikely to draw the ire of those higher in the command chain, and you wouldn't be a priority target yet.
N) Provide relief aid for local civilians.
O) Aid other resistance groups.
P) Just overstock on materials.
Q) Recruit more skilled personnel.
R) Tech stealing? The Zhuul have more tech, you might be able to learn something from them.

It's time for R&D!
S) Miniturize fusion reactors - One step between powering a tank and being sized to fit infantry powered armor.
T) Starship Structure - It's your backup plan, and you might want some warships to get rid of the Zhuul. This is a start.
U) Starship Weapons Theorizing - You can't just strap wet-navy cannons to a starship and hope to hit something light-seconds away. Lay the ground-work for future advances.
V) Better AA cannons - Zhuul slavers usually come down in smaller disc ufos. You could save some people by purpose-building AA cannons to distribute to cities or resistance forces.
W) Military Plasma - Now that you have effective fusion, you should be able to use the principles to create plasma weapons or engines. After you figure it out, anyway.
X) Fighting Zhuul Spawn - Pour through data looking for patterns, trying to find out better ways to fight them or limit the damage they can cause.
Y) Zhuul cultural study - It should help with diplomacy or reverse-engineering their tech.
Z) Laser Weapons - You have plentiful fusion power. Weaponize it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 05:11:39 pm »

My ideas are some combination of A, B, C, and K, but I'm not sure which ones to choose, or even if we should choose between them and not just accept the four-way split.
Q and N mains, L if they're in the areas we're trying to relieve and recruit from, and R if there's a good opportunity to do it stealthily.
X, with plans for doing Z next.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:01:16 pm by Glass »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 05:57:47 pm »

I'll allow tech splitting, but you're likely to get partial effects, less-effective results, or flaws, mitigated by getting the laboratory. For example, partial laser theory might secretly alter the starship lasers tech to give lasers that are too big and need to charge for a disproportionately long time. Of course, a full science action on that might find and fix the flaw in your theory work, but it's not guaranteed.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 07:00:51 pm »

Fair enough. Editing my post.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »

BDIK

Q

V

---

We will lay low, providing supplies, logistical support, and expertise to those who would challenge the aliens.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 08:55:54 pm »

heavy thonk

ACG
LQ
YZ

This sounds like XCOM in text-ish form, yes?
The uh, Y is from my determination as Thousandmasks that we could end up impressing and allying them. Maybe they have a combat ritual for top spot?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 05:13:36 pm »

My ideas are some combination of A, B, C, and K, but I'm not sure which ones to choose, or even if we should choose between them and not just accept the four-way split.
Q and N mains, L if they're in the areas we're trying to relieve and recruit from, and R if there's a good opportunity to do it stealthily.
X, with plans for doing Z next.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 05:39:58 pm »

B) Engineering (Wide) - You have a wide array of tools, documentation, and blueprints, technically capable of rebuilding modern civilization from raw materials. So long as you have supplies, your base will be able to supply all it needs, and easily restart outside infrastructure.
B is very popular. I should point out that you have super R&D. Even if you're don't take any engineering upgrades but are cut off and alone, yet have tons of ore, you're not really going to suddenly go stone age.

Instead you'd see a lot of improvised components lowering quality, and it would take longer to build most anything. Option B would largely negate this (it does still take longer to make a tank from a crate of ore instead of a crate of tank parts), and make it much easier to use your factories to fight civilization level decreases, or perhaps even bring it back up, if enough people are still alive.
Pages: 1 [2]