Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress text mode in Ubuntu terminal [help]  (Read 2730 times)

branpurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress text mode in Ubuntu terminal [help]
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:08:06 pm »

Hello, I am trying to run Dwarf Fortress (0.44.12) in Ubuntu Linux without a X server. I have disabled sound and set print mode to text in "init.txt", but get the following error when I try to run dwarf-fortress:

Code: [Select]
fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/games/dwarf-fortress", line 93, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/games/dwarf-fortress", line 90, in main
    run_df_in_unionfs_with_cleanup(user_run_dir, data_dirs, sys.argv)
  File "/usr/games/dwarf-fortress", line 60, in run_df_in_unionfs_with_cleanup
    run_df_in_unionfs(user_run_dir, data_dirs, args)
  File "/usr/games/dwarf-fortress", line 52, in run_df_in_unionfs
    subprocess.run(cmd).check_returncode()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 369, in check_returncode
    self.stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['unionfs', '-o', 'cow,relaxed_permissions', '/home/branpurn/.local/share/dwarf-fortress/run=rw:/usr/lib/games/dwarf-fortress:/usr/share/games/dwarf-fortress/gamedata', '/tmp/dwarf-fortressrjeitm1arun']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

I installed the dwarf-fortress package from the official Ubuntu repo and have all its prerequisites, but admittedly am not a Linux expert. Any assistance is much appreciated!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Dwarf Fortress text mode in Ubuntu terminal [help]
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:37 am »

I got DF from the download page, unpacked, installed the dependencies mentioned in the README.linux, set print mode to text and then run the df bash script. This works for me on KDE Neon based on Ubuntu 18.04.

It might wisest to do this either how because DF doesn't have much of a configuration/resource folder system, and you need to modify the files in the program directory if you want to adjust config, mod the program or share saves. DF isn't really a good game for automatic updates, nor is it doing much that would make it a good attack vector, so there's not much point to get it from the repository.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

branpurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress text mode in Ubuntu terminal [help]
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:17:26 am »

Getting it from the DF download page instead worked great, thanks for the tip 👍