Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The 50 Horse rule  (Read 984 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The 50 Horse rule
« on: November 09, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

I think I found something interesting.

I noticed that every human settlement, whether it is a hamlet or a sprawling city always has 50 horses (and a maximum of 50 camels), while dwarven hillocks in low lands seem to always have a horse population of 350 horses or no horses at all (altough these hillocks seem to be higher up in the mountains).

Is this a bug or is this intended to prevent an explosion of farm animals?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 50 Horse rule
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 01:48:51 pm »

There are similar number for goblin trolls, ogres, beak dogs, and blizzard men: they seem to be 25XX (I don't remember what XX were, but it totals to a bit over 2500), and I haven't seen the number decreased as they've lost them on raids against me.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:53 pm »

well, in the player forts there are upper caps on seeds (and maybe stones?) so this might be one of those where the limit is reached very quickly. It seams like a little bit of a bug, although one thats likely going to be fixed when economy and local site stockpiles are adressed by Toady.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:46 am »

There are similar number for goblin trolls, ogres, beak dogs, and blizzard men: they seem to be 25XX (I don't remember what XX were, but it totals to a bit over 2500), and I haven't seen the number decreased as they've lost them on raids against me.

I fixed that problem, turns out that without [ANIMAL] tags (particularly [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_AVAILIBLE] referencing the particular creature) & physically making trolls inedible by changing the body definition, the aveage Troll drops 40 meat worth in muscle therabouts making them ultra nutrious per every troll.

1 troll is killed for instance in the goblin tower, that's 40 meat, every surplus allows the population to expand. Trolls are also dipping into that and eating due to buggy semi sapience simulations. This leads to the population explosion because its not controlled in any manner and they eat a concurrent diet of beak-dogs & trolls of which are both common domestic in the basic vanilla raws.

[ANIMAL] defintions should be default vanilla because Toady's hit a major roadblock here.

Also i covered it here, but this also explains horsesplosions, a condensed explanation would be that if civ's didn't focus on the most meat productive animals and instead had new behaviours like diverting crops INTO grazers and misc animals like pigs to fatten them up, they'd need to rely less on a bulk of animals and could maintain more usable ones like horses especially for mounts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:02:38 am by FantasticDorf »