Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to ensure necro towers?  (Read 841 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to ensure necro towers?
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:14:39 am »

So I like having a tower as a neighbor, is there any way to use dfhack or something similar to stop world gen after one's been spawned?  Or worldgen parameters I can tinker with to make them more likely?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way to ensure necro towers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:03:25 am »

It's probably possible to detect that a necro tower has appeared and interrupt worldgen. Is it desirable, though? Doesn't a necro tower gain strength over time, in which case a fresh tower might be weaker than you'd like?

I haven't been particularly successful in generating a large number of towers, but if I understand it correctly, lots of wars is supposed to be a good catalyst for generation of desire for immortality. However, a large number of wars also has a tendency to mean a low number of survivors, which is fine if you want a goblin dominated world or a near apocalyptic one, but not so good if you want to get many visitors.

On top of that, the number of secrets puts an upper limit on the number of slabs, but does nothing to the minimum number, i.e. it makes a large number possible, but does nothing in itself to generate them.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »

Since necromancers cannot be goblin or elf, a world without much savagery and a lot of plains (good for human settlement) could help.

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:01 am »

I believe you get necro towers when a leader of a civilization becomes worried about his/her own mortality and makes a deal with the god of death and gets a special slab in return.

So you get more towers when generating a world with a high number of civilizations and a high number of secrets (and your world needs a death deity, this is the case most time, but may sometimes require a reroll). And you need some time for this to occur, although I have found not that long. Also savagery can get in the way of civilization development.

Example: I've been able to generate tiny worlds with 10+ towers, using:
- # of civilizations: 50
- # of secrets: 1000
- end year: 150
edit: - site cap: 200

(after 150 years, a large number of those civs have been destroyed, but you can still end up with a more than usual. I like this to try out some of the new mission stuff, but I can imagine you want it lower. Probably easiest to start high and work your way down until you get an amount of towers and civs that you like)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:09:47 am by sheepish_gorilla »