Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: questions about nobles  (Read 613 times)

shoutwithap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
questions about nobles
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:28:29 am »

Hi all, I'm new to DF and am starting my first fortress. A migrant caravan brought some new dwarves to my fortress, and after some time three of them suddenly inherited the title of baron/baroness at once. It's the summer of my first year.

From watching some tutorials it seems like it's abnormal to have any nobles until much later in the life of a fortress. What are the implications of having so many nobles so early?

I have some less broad questions too that I couldn't answer with the wiki:
  • How can I tell what caused this sudden inheritance? I'm imagining some coordinated assassination attempt or something and I'm very curious to find out, but my liaison didn't bring any such news.
  • I know how to build the accommodations they demand, but I'm less sure how to abide by their trade demands and such.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: questions about nobles
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:37 am »

1) There's no simple way to check, but Legends Mode is where you'll find the information. You usually can't open Legends mid-game without retiring first (Dfhack has a way, not sure if it's working perfectly yet).
The old fashioned workaround is to make a copy of your save folder (or the the whole damn dwarf fortress folder, it's not big) then retire from that and check Legends.

2) Export of axes banned, means axes are banned from being sold to traders. Sell one and someone will be punished (if you have a Captain of the Guard / hammerer). Trade goods are filtered to not show banned goods by default (as far as I recall). So if you seem to be missing some bins, it might be because there's a banned item in it. You can turn off this filter, just don't accidentally sell the banned item.

Other mandates are construction orders, just make what they ask for and it'll automatically keep track.

Some make Demands too (like for impossible to make platinum beds, etc). They'll be upset not to get their stuff, but it's not against the law (I think).

Don't use the justice system (hammerer, guard squad) and nobody gets punished. The noble's mental health might take a hit, but don't worry about them. (That's in the current version at least, keep an eye on updates).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:08:18 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: questions about nobles
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:13:32 am »

The most likely reason for a number of nobles kicking the bucket at the same time is for them to be at the same place when that place was attacked by enemies/monsters. Villainous plots aren't in DF yet...

The recommended DFHack access to Legends Mode is to make a "quicksave" and then "open-legends", view what you're looking for or (better, in my view) "exportlegends info" and open the exported data with Legends Viewer. Once done viewing Legends Mode/performed the export, issue the DFHack command "die" to kill DF (which is the reason the sequence starts with "quicksave"). There was a fatal bug with open-legends that caused saves made after returning from it to get corrupted, and as far as I understand it's not confirmed the bug has been completely squashed (I think some parts have been dealt with). The nasty crash bug would get triggered at a future date, so you wouldn't detect it in the near term, but only after investing several more years into the fortress.