Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mad overlords in the wilderness  (Read 3383 times)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mad overlords in the wilderness
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:49 am »

Wandering through forests and jungles and investigation the white asterisks.  On  five occasions I have encountered a 'human overlord' standing naked, unarmed, and mad as a hatter in the middle of nowhere.  They attack me on sight and do not respond to talking.  Sometimes they have a tent set up.

I looked all of them up in legends viewer.  Each of them had an ordinary life in some hamlet, then there is an entry where [person] became overlord of [group] in [year]. 

I look at the group; [group] claimed/conquered [site] in 489.  In 513 [person] became overlord of [group].  [group] abandoned [site] in 529.

There are never any entries for either the person or the group after that.  Would there be an entry if the group was attacked or disbanded/destroyed?  The years vary, but it looks like they all abandoned their site in the last ten years.  So are they dispossessed leaders that have lost their minds?

If this keeps happening I'm going to call my sword "Killedoverlords the End of Madness" or something like that.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mad overlords in the wilderness
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:50 am »

I've been investigating that in my last playthrough. All I can say is the warlord is still there, and I highly suspect he becomes independant (as in, the *civilization* abandonned a place it has no interest for, such as elves outside a forest, but the local group is still very much in power), as his forces often clash with populations loyal to his civ. The town continues to work as normal, tho be weary that the warlord's troops are still inside and may attack you on sight.

As for the naked ovie, did you checked the legends to see where he comes from? I saw that happen once, the dude was a early bandit follower of the local necro tower
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:07:29 am by Cathar »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:55:16 pm »

Was he cursed to become a night creature?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:02:04 pm »

This could happen to dwarven historical figures who happened to be bandit leaders that fail to make an artifact. Have you checked to see if that could be the case? When bandits take over abandoned sites they technically dont count as part of any civilization besides that bandit gang, which counts as a kind of pseudo-civ taking its language, equipment etc from the civilization of the person who founded it. I honestly have no idea what happens if they get evicted from their site, so maybe thats whats going on here? But i dont understand why they should go insane

Do you have any mods installed, and if so what are they?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:01:41 am »

No mods installed, just the newest release of LNP.
I've made three forts in this world.  Worldgen stopped in the year 504.  My third fort was retired 530-09-12.
My adventurer is Lydia Ironspark.  I've been adventuring from 530-09-26 to currently 530-11-27.

LegendsViewer Entries:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking at the sites, out of 110 sites, 28 plus a tomb were abandoned in 529.
The last entry for the civ in Legends Viewer is:
528-06-27 'The Virtuous Empire' attacked 'The Confederations of Strife' at Boneconjure.

Boneconjure is a town of 7185 humans.  On 528-06-27 it says:
'The Virtuous Empire' attacked 'The Confederations of Strife'
The leader of the attack was 'Nimmu' Deersnarls (Hey!  He was a monster slayer at my first fort!) and the defenders were led by Uthal Garlicpowers.  Uthal entirely outwitted Nimmu and the defenders had a strong positional advantage.  Nimmu was wounded by Muma Campmoistened.
Ye gods!  I looked at the battle entry and it turns out Nimmu attacked the town all on his own against their militia of 667 defenders.  After that the entries for Boneconjure go on like normal.

Looking back at 'The Virtuous Empire' there are two conflicts listed in 529 against elf nations.  They continue on into 530. 
The empire has 22 kills, 0 victories, 0 conquerings versus the enemies' 0 kills, 8 victories, 0 conquerings.
They keep killing elves with a tactical advantage and taking no losses, but it keeps listing the elves as the victor.  Their battles against human civs look more normal.

Going to look through all the civs and see who else abandoned sites in 529.

-EDIT-

After reviewing each civ, it turns out that around 85 human and elf sites were abandoned in 529.  None of the dwarf sites or goblin sites were affected.  It seems most of them are in 'The Patterned Hills' or 'The Split Jungles,' two regions in the southwest, but there are quite a few outliers.

The really weird thing though, is that all 13 tomb sites around the world were abandoned in 529.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:48:59 pm by sketchesofpayne »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 06:50:33 am »

Occasionally, when a city is destroyed, all of its inhabitants become singular bandit gang leaders with a mission to march to a nearby safe haven. No idea if it's a glitch or intended behavior, but I've seen it twice
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 01:31:42 am »

It has happened a sixth time.  This time they ran away after I got a good hit one them.  I tracked them toward the nearby town, but the trail disappeared.  Looked in Legendsviewer and this was actually the town they were overlord of.  It is a forest retreat with 30+ elves.  I asked one of them about the person and they confirmed "They are overlord."  But I ask about the site and they say "nothing is organized here."

I spent the night there and the next morning left town.  A little ways off I actually encountered the same overlord again.  I tried talking to them but they just attacked me.  I try asking them to yield or yielding to them.  No conversation option gets a response from them.  Not even a "Never!"

-EDIT-

Found a seventh one.  This time I made a backup save.  I've been going over DFhack documentation.  I can't find a script that will let me really probe the unit.  I don't know if there would even be anything to see.  Is the overlord !!INSANE!! or similar?  Do they still consider themselves the leader of a site government?  I can't talk to them to find out anything, so I was hoping a hack could reveal some information.

Also, I've been scouring LegendsViewer and I can't see anything that happened in 528 or 529 other than mundane happenings.  I was hoping to find some insight into what may have triggered all those site governments to "abandon" their sites. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:56:03 pm by sketchesofpayne »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 12:49:45 am »

Every last one of them is actually referred to as "overlord" huh? No cheiftain/ess, warlord, ringleader etc?
And are they melancholy, stark raving mad, or berserk?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:51:21 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:50:29 am »

Every last one of them is actually referred to as "overlord" huh? No cheiftain/ess, warlord, ringleader etc?
Yes, they are all specifically labeled "overlord."  I've been looking for a way to determine if they are afflicted by an insanity condition, but can't figure out how.  I've been looking at DFhack documentation and I don't see a script that will do it.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:06:43 am »

You could try body swapping using df hack.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 03:50:23 pm »

You could try body swapping using df hack.
Ah.  I've only used that on companions.  I'll give it a try!

On the map below, those blue crowns (for the most part) are all sites that were 'abandoned in 529.'
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The necromancer's tower on the left has been quiet for centuries, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.  The wars and conflicts of 528 and 529 don't look any different than other years.  All the overlords I've found in the hills and jungles are from settlements just north of the blue "O" marking my current location.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:25:12 pm by sketchesofpayne »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 04:59:32 pm »

Did they say why, Willard, why they want to terminate my command?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:50 am »

Yes, they are all specifically labeled "overlord."  I've been looking for a way to determine if they are afflicted by an insanity condition, but can't figure out how.  I've been looking at DFhack documentation and I don't see a script that will do it.
The go-to for this sort of thing is gui/gm-editor.  IIRC there are a couple of fields inside each unit's data structure that indicate mood (including insanity).
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 03:06:42 am »

Occasionally, when a city is destroyed, all of its inhabitants become singular bandit gang leaders with a mission to march to a nearby safe haven. No idea if it's a glitch or intended behavior, but I've seen it twice

Ill opt that this is a bug, the refugee camps probably aren't working in human cities with banditry values then, though necromancers from human civilisations are known to take a interim as a bandit leader before being able to build Towers.

Overlord is just a per-world generated bandit leader name, they might be called a master in another one, grab a save and upload it to mantis please to demonstrate these erronous units so Toady can look into it @sketchesofpayne
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:10:59 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: [1] 2