Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mad overlords in the wilderness  (Read 3378 times)

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad overlords in the wilderness
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 06:46:57 am »

I was sent on a classified mission, sir

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 02:15:57 am »

Overlord Case Study of Rasima Beltfaith

I spent the evening with my old save.  I used gm-editor and bodyswap.

gm-editor screen one https://imgur.com/dq8Smin
gm-editor screen two https://imgur.com/vgt80Hz

What stands out to me is the civ_id is -1 and mood is -1 (None).  Otherwise everything else seems to be normal.  None of the 'flags' sub-lists had anything odd.  Only after I reviewed these screens did I then use bodyswap.

bodyswap status screen: https://imgur.com/cysXAgo
bodyswap description: https://imgur.com/BmLLWsc

Again, other than the complete lack of clothes and items, everything looks strangely normal.  I talked to other characters.  I had no specific incidents or rumors to bring up.  Looking at the perform-tell story he just had information that would be normal to a citizen of Thorntarget.

Legends Viewer/open-legends
I cross-checked all important info with the legends mode in the game itself.  I found no discrepancies.

Rasima "Beltfaith" Thìfithari
513 settled in Thorntarget and became overlord of 'The Stable Fellowship' of 'The Velvety Coalition'

There are two groups called “The Stable Fellowship”!  One is a bandit gang formed in 512 in Hammerstraws.  The ‘boss’ was Nonu Canyonfed.  According to legends mode Nonu is still alive and still the boss of the Stable Fellowship.  Hammerstraws is quite far to the northwest from where these incident are happening.

The second is the local government of Thorntarget formed in 513.  Part of “The Velvety Coalition.”

Thorntarget
Forest Retreat in the Split Jungles.
Founded in 79; taken over in 513 by “The Stable Fellowship” of the “Velvety Coalition” of “The Virtuous Empire.”
Abandoned 529

Hammerstraws
Hammerstraws is part of “The Realm of Sand.”  Many placeholder or undetailed groups of nomads have been formed in Hammerstraws.  Currently the place has a few humans and 38 goblin outcasts.

The place has 13 ‘locations’ or ‘structures’ including seven temples.  It seems it may have been massively depopulated by their constant warfare with the elvish civilization “The Humble Dusk.”

The Common Thread?
Looking up Gorno Syrupglow, she was overlord of “The Ripe Fellowship” of “The Virtuous Empire.”  There is also a group called the Ripe Fellowship in “The Confederations of Strife.”  I thought I may have found a common thread between the overlords.  However, there are no duplicate-named groups for any of the other overlords.

What Else?
Perhaps a political upset?  No relevant insurrections between 528 and 530.

The Virtuous Empire has been led by an elf vampire since 507. 
The Bulb of Deifying has been ruled by an elf queen since 420.  She has 25 spies. 
The Bald Realm is led by a human law-giver who came to power in 528.  Her eight friends are all elf spies.
The Tattooed Treaty’s king is a professional geographer.
The Tall Mists’ Queen was born in -142.

Looking through the rest, no one rose to power in 529.  The Bald realm has the strangest history.  I’ll have to look at it more thoroughly later.  They currently only have four sites.  The Bulb of Deifying has taken over most of their sites.  This was all before 484 and none of the civilization’s sites were abandoned in 529.

Taking a closer look at the Bald Realm’s leader, Xiza Ecruthew.  The previous leader died of old age.  In 528 the title passed to her.  Since 458 she has been working at the tavern “The Breakfast of Mushroom” in the town of Safefog.  Other than working at the tavern, there are no other entries for Xiza.

Safefog is a town ruled by the Bulb of Deifying.  It has twelve taverns.  Currently its population is almost entirely visitors to the taverns and the staff that works in the taverns.  The town once produced many works of literature, but the last book written here was nearly 80 years ago.  About the same time the eleventh and twelfth taverns were built.  All items of artistic or scholarly value have since been stolen from the site.

The Year 529
I’m still no closer to figuring out what caused all the sites to be abandoned.  I retired my previous fort nine months into 530.  That rules out the ‘two weeks’ between fortress and adventure mode being the cause.  So it was something that happened during my fort. 

In 528 I finished my grand library, which was the goal of the fort.  Throughout 529 scholars petitioned to study there until I had 30 scholars.  Between books purchased and books written, there were well over 150 books in the library when I retired the fort.

The last thing I can think to do is visit the abandoned tomb sites in adventure mode and see if anything is amiss.

-Addendum-

I have legends exported from world-gen, and the retirement of all three forts.  In each legends XML is shows every tomb site as "abandoned" in the year prior to when the legends were exported.  The only exception is one tomb where a band of goblin bandits has been living for centuries.  So the legends I exported in 530 show all tombs as abandoned in 529.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:41:59 pm by sketchesofpayne »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:40 pm »

How does the game determine worn equipment for hearthpeople, soldiers and the likes?

Do certain ranks have equipment associations, and do certain ranks have a natural hostility to passerby’s?

It almost sounds like overlords are blank slate equipment load outs that attack onsite.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »

"Overlords" are, typically, in vanilla, a bandit/criminal gang leader's title (the game usually gives each gang a different leader title), so if they attack on sight its probably because they regard everyone as their enemy, or else theyre [crazed] somehow, like as a result of an interaction. Maybe theres an interaction that gives people the title "overlord" and crazed and night creature hunters. But that doesnt fit with the other information provided.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 07:56:06 pm »

Certain titles though have a propensity to particular load outs right?

Like military units more likely to have military weapons, and peasants with peasant shanks.

I wonder if the title is tied to the load out, but the title is bugged making the load out nothinf

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 05:19:55 pm »

A few months back I had a similar encounter in my Adventure Mode game. I was wandering up to a Dwarven hillocks, and I saw an asterisk roaming around just outside it on the fast travel map. So I hopped out of fast travel next to the asterisk and it turned out to be a Dwarf Expedition Leader. I tried talking to the Dwarf but they didn't respond, and attacked me! Fortunately they were unarmed so all they did was mostly harmless punches. Occasionally they would flee, before turning back and charging at me again.

I decided to leave the poor Dwarf alone and went to the hillocks. Asking around, it turned out that the hillocks was brand new, as in founded within the last 2 weeks (I had only just started this adventurer). The unhinged Dwarf was the Expedition Leader from the hillocks! I'm going to guess they got homesick away from the Fortress and went mad.
Pages: 1 [2]