Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building destroyer range?/Arena design questions  (Read 530 times)

black-cat13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Building destroyer range?/Arena design questions
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:26:13 am »

In other words, what can a building destroyer reach when it stands in one spot? A graphic of some sort would be helpful.
Don't worry abut explaining the special cases with forbidden hatches. The wiki explains those pretty well.

Basically, I'm making an arena for a bronze colossus my dorfs caught, and I don't want any "accidents."
This is the idea I have for the pit, but I don't know if he can reach the windows to break them. Or to get out if he does.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I want to contain this guy for pit maintenance. How far would the dummy door have to be to force this guy onto the cage trap?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Building destroyer range?/Arena design questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »

Why don't you just chain him ? If you don't, he'll wander around, so the size of the arena doesn't really matter. He'll eventually see that door. As for maintenance, before you chain him, you can replace every tile outside of his walking area by horizontal bars linked to a lever. In a room below, you'd have another "collection" room where the corpses and items would fall when the bars are retracted.

Just my opinion tho. The size of the room doesn't matter ; if you don't chain him, he'll wander and eventually find his way.

Edit : Oh. You're actually asking if he can break a windows one Z-level higher than he is. My bad. Your answer

Quote from: Wiki
Building destroyers can destroy buildings from the z-level below while standing on a ramp or stairs that leads up to the building's z-level.
Wiki

So you should be safe, if your windows are directly placed on the outside wall, and not let's say, one tile behind. If he can climb and stand next to the window, he'll just walk through it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:06:05 pm by Cathar »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building destroyer range?/Arena design questions
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:10:12 pm »

what about climbing though? thats a thing now, right?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste