Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A caste of impervious to stress dwarves  (Read 2031 times)

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A caste of impervious to stress dwarves
« on: November 13, 2018, 09:08:12 pm »

Is it possible to create a type of dorf that just doesn't care about dead bodies and whatnot? I would love to have a squad of grim body haulers for post-siege cleanup. I would also dress them in black robes with skull & bones sewn on the back.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A caste of impervious to stress dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:25 am »

Look through the profiles of you dwarves and find the ones that say they can handle stress or they are impervious to stress.  Unassign corpse hauling/burial from all your dwarves except them.  After some exposure to dead bodies they'll become unaffected by them.

Alternately, expose your dwarves to stress/bodies purposefully and expel the ones who can't take it.

Before you generate a world, you can go into the raws and alter the [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] token on the dwarf entry to make your dwarves less vulnerable to stress overall.  I changed the median from 45 to 35 in my raws.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:29:09 am »

Look through the profiles of you dwarves and find the ones that say they can handle stress or they are impervious to stress.  Unassign corpse hauling/burial from all your dwarves except them.  After some exposure to dead bodies they'll become unaffected by them.

Alternately, expose your dwarves to stress/bodies purposefully and expel the ones who can't take it.

Before you generate a world, you can go into the raws and alter the [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] token on the dwarf entry to make your dwarves less vulnerable to stress overall.  I changed the median from 45 to 35 in my raws.

Yeah, tried that. Thing is, even dwarves with stress vulnerabilty as high as 90 as low as 10 still crack after a given number of corpses seen/hauled. Also, quite often even stress-resistant dwarves make a turnaround after retching on miasma / getting caught in the rain, and suddenly they don't handle stress anymore.   Constant exposure to death doesn't seem to make dwarves tolerant to dead bodies either, things only seem to get worse.

So what I mean is turning off stress vulnerability compeletely, sort of a race of totally fearless dwarves who just don't give a shit. Or maybe even hollow ones with no emotions at all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:34:07 pm by forgotten_idiot »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:12:33 am »

There's a Dfhack script that removes stress from dwarves. I don't know technically how it would work, but you could probably find a way to automate it to run once a week or so to clear the stress of all your 'hardcore/outcast death dealer' caste. Not sure if it's specific enough to remove only stress caused by and memories generated by death encounters though.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:14:59 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:50:14 am »

1) Open the .../your Dwarf Fortress folder/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt

2) The very first entry is for the dwarves. Scroll down until you see [CASTE:FEMALE] and [CASTE:MALE]:

3) Copy the castes and paste below the vanilla ones:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4) Change the names of the new castes to something different like [CASTE:MALE_DEATH].

5) Specify caste proportions. By default, each caste has an equal chance to appear, so your normal and "cold blooded" dwarves would be 50:50 in population. If you add [POP_RATIO:2] to vanilla castes and [POP_RATIO:1] to your new castes, then normal dwarves will be twice as frequent as the "cold blooded" ones. And so forth.

6) Add [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:0:0:0] to your new castes (each one) to make them as resistant to stress as possible, while still capable of feeling emotions in general; you can also add [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:0:0] to lower the negative effects of your fort lacking the dwarf's favorite squirrel kidneys and such. Alternatively, just give them [NOEMOTION] to turn them into complete robots.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:53:05 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:10:42 am »

1) Open the .../your Dwarf Fortress folder/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt

2) The very first entry is for the dwarves. Scroll down until you see [CASTE:FEMALE] and [CASTE:MALE]:

3) Copy the castes and paste below the vanilla ones:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4) Change the names of the new castes to something different like [CASTE:MALE_DEATH].

5) Specify caste proportions. By default, each caste has an equal chance to appear, so your normal and "cold blooded" dwarves would be 50:50 in population. If you add [POP_RATIO:2] to vanilla castes and [POP_RATIO:1] to your new castes, then normal dwarves will be twice as frequent as the "cold blooded" ones. And so forth.

6) Add [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:0:0:0], [PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:0:0:0] to your new castes (each one) to make them as resistant to stress as possible, while still capable of feeling emotions in general; you can also add [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:0:0] to lower the negative effects of your fort lacking the dwarf's favorite squirrel kidneys and such. Alternatively, just give them [NOEMOTION] to turn them into complete robots.

Wow, thanks! Seems easy enough!

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

Thing is, even dwarves with stress vulnerabilty as high as 90 still crack after a given number of corpses seen/hauled.
Sver nailed it as far as a solution.  But I just wanted to make sure that you know you want [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] to be a low value.  Stress vulnerability 90 would be an easily stressed dwarf!

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:28:12 pm »

Thing is, even dwarves with stress vulnerabilty as high as 90 still crack after a given number of corpses seen/hauled.
Sver nailed it as far as a solution.  But I just wanted to make sure that you know you want [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] to be a low value.  Stress vulnerability 90 would be an easily stressed dwarf!

Pretty sure that in Therapist high number (in black) under "Stress vulnerability" trait corresponds to higher stress resistance, and lower (in red) means more vulnerable dwarf. Or maybe I got it all horribly wrong.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:05:21 pm »

Higher STRESS_VULNERABILITY means higher stress vulnerability.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:48:44 pm »

Higher STRESS_VULNERABILITY means higher stress vulnerability.

Sure, but I am talking specifically about Therapist (should have mentioned it before). It seems that it shows higher value (like 90) as more stress resistant (while still showing "raw value" of 10, if you hover over the trait). It's probably to make things easier (like, higher is always better, lower is worse). At least this is how I think it works. Sorry about the confusion, I only just started to "dig deeper" into this beautiful world of numbers and values that make up my dwarves (thanks to stress problems of 44.12).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:51:16 pm by forgotten_idiot »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:01:51 pm »

Sure, but I am talking specifically about Therapist (should have mentioned it before). It seems that it shows higher value (like 90) as more stress resistant (while still showing "raw value" of 10, if you hover over the trait). It's probably to make things easier (like, higher is always better, lower is worse). At least this is how I think it works. Sorry about the confusion, I only just started to "dig deeper" into this beautiful world of numbers and values that make up my dwarves (thanks to stress problems of 44.12).

The easy way to solve this dilemma is just by looking at the personality screen of the 90 stat dwarf in question. A dwarf with high vulnerability (e.g. a wuss) will have something like "becomes completely helpless in stressful situations" or "cracks easily under pressure". A dwarf with low vulnerability (e.g. a cold stoic) will instead have "is confident under pressure" or "is impervious to the effects of stress".
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.