Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: at war with own civ  (Read 2476 times)

evilmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
at war with own civ
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:54:30 am »

I am playing a succession fort with my friend, and earlier today I finished my turn and sent it back to him. He was going through the civ screen and noticed that we are at war with our own civilization. I noticed that the liason stopped coming by but I never checked to see if we were at war with them. We thought this could be cool as we could conquer our own civ, but you can't attack any of their settlements on the map because you are still considered to be a part of it. They have yet to come and siege us though. Does anyone know if its possible to get to be at peace with your own faction or what causes them to declare on you? I sent some raids out vs some goblins that we weren't at war with, but I don't think that'd be the cause. Let me know what you guys think.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: at war with own civ
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:03:41 am »

Are you sure your friend was reading the Civ screen correctly? Last I checked, the "W" display was based on the current selection, so if a Goblin or Elf civilization was selected, it could've shown the War indicator next to your parent civ.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:35:43 am »

This should be impossible in the current and past versions of the game, especially since DF doesn't handle civil wars in Fortress mode too well

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:48:42 am »

But it has been reported previously on the tracker for the current version. It's even been triggered by other sites in background worldgen without any prompting from the player.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10878

First though, yeah, check you're reading the civ screen correctly (post a screenshot here too).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:51:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

evilmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:47:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screen shot from my friend, our site government is the Diamond Hammer (coolest random gen name btw).

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:02:22 pm »

Screen shot from my friend, our site government is the Diamond Hammer (coolest random gen name btw).

That's a photo made with a phone, not a proper screenshot.
And it doesn't show the war/peace indicators, the yellow (or was it blue?) letters to the right behind each faction.
Tell your friend to make a real screenshot that shows the whole thing.

evilmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 02:48:49 am »

And it doesn't show the war/peace indicators, the yellow (or was it blue?) letters to the right behind each faction.

it literally shows that, look at the picture. It doesnt matter how its taken as long as it shows whats needed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 03:20:11 am »

I can see the War and Peace indicators in that photo.
Yeah, looks like the site is at war with it's own civ.

Make a copy of the save, retire and take a dig through Legends. You might find out how you ended up at war.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:02 am »

How about that
I've never seen anything like that before

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 06:42:59 am »

it literally shows that, look at the picture. It doesnt matter how its taken as long as it shows whats needed.

Yeah, sorry about that.
I guess when I wrote that I was too tired to notice the freaking scrollbar...

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:08:28 pm »

it confused me for a second too :P Anyway, would be nice to hear how this turns out. Will your civ attack you? will caravans turn hostile or stop coming? migrants? pls keep us posted ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »

I'm running a game that is now almost 70 years old, and have been at war with my civ for more than half of that.  I've been collecting save files in the bug report from Reddit users as often as I can.  I check the Legends when the save files are posted - the invariable cause is that the home civ attacked one of its own non-player sites after gameplay began.  Twice the site has been attacked after it was taken from goblins, but other times the home civ attacked one of its own sites out of apparently nowhere.

it confused me for a second too :P Anyway, would be nice to hear how this turns out. Will your civ attack you? will caravans turn hostile or stop coming? migrants? pls keep us posted ;)

Caravans just stop coming.  Migrants stop coming.  The home civ has not attacked the player site in any report I've seen.  There is still an outpost liaison, but said liaison does not arrive and there is no announcement that the liaison didn't show up.

It seems like a pretty common occurrence if you run the game long enough.  My civil war came after ~25 years, but a recent one I found had the war start in the first winter after gameplay began.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 04:20:52 am »

hmm... the question is, if the war started because your civ attacked one of there own sites, or if that is simply the first symptom of a war that started over some underlying reason... I know human hamlets are known to fight each other over water/grazing rights, so Im wondering if there is some underlying reason for the war, or if its just plain buggy.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 04:58:29 am »

You should have given the adamantine sock to the quester and be done with it. Now it's too late.

Caravans just stop coming.  Migrants stop coming.  The home civ has not attacked the player site in any report I've seen.  There is still an outpost liaison, but said liaison does not arrive and there is no announcement that the liaison didn't show up.

It seems like a pretty common occurrence if you run the game long enough.  My civil war came after ~25 years, but a recent one I found had the war start in the first winter after gameplay began.

You weren't trying to become a capital before that? It would be interesting if they waged a war against a capital.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 05:00:03 am »

hmm... the question is, if the war started because your civ attacked one of there own sites, or if that is simply the first symptom of a war that started over some underlying reason... I know human hamlets are known to fight each other over water/grazing rights, so Im wondering if there is some underlying reason for the war, or if its just plain buggy.
Human (and goblin) sites attacking each other (which has happened for a long time) in Legends are very clearly site vs site attacks with no indication of site vs own civ.

I guess this all started (or at least became noticable) a couple of releases ago (during this arc) when Toady tweaked the dwarf figures to encourage them to actually attack other sites (besides in retaliation from player raids) from time to time.
Pages: [1] 2