Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WorldGen: Subregion Rejection  (Read 1512 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
WorldGen: Subregion Rejection
« on: November 21, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »

I'm attempting to create a world with an Evil Ocean, ideally bordering a Good-aligned Forest, but that's optional.  The result has been that I get 'Too many subregions' after a few tries, and when I ignore the error, the resulting world is a patchwork of half a dozen separate oceans, and small mountain ranges in the middle of every single landmass.  I don't know what is different between my settings and the standard Medium Region to cause such a significant disparity, but clearly I over-adjusted something.  Both the Subregion & Range lines are the same.  Any suggestions are welcome.

My World:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Default Medium Region:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: WorldGen: Subregion Rejection
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:13:28 am »

To work around the subregion rejection message increase allowed subregion count:
SUBREGION_MAX:5000

A change in good/evil changes biome = new subregion.

To reduce the number of subregions generated you will need to reduce variation somewhere, probably the X and Y variance of Elevation, Rainfall, Temperature, Drainage, Volcanism, Savagery ('and/or' for them all...) that is the third and fourth parameters for each.  (Of course reducing desired good/evil counts would also have this effect, although perhaps counterproductive to your goal otherwise.)

Might also want to think about increasing the second parameter for Elevation_Frequency to get a greater proportion of oceans. (Specify the grid size with the first parameter.) Similarly if there are too many mountains for your liking try increasing the values of parameters 2-5 (other than the first these are ratios) but not the 6th.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:07 am »

To work around the subregion rejection message increase allowed subregion count:
SUBREGION_MAX:5000

A change in good/evil changes biome = new subregion.

To reduce the number of subregions generated you will need to reduce variation somewhere, probably the X and Y variance of Elevation, Rainfall, Temperature, Drainage, Volcanism, Savagery ('and/or' for them all...) that is the third and fourth parameters for each.  (Of course reducing desired good/evil counts would also have this effect, although perhaps counterproductive to your goal otherwise.)

Might also want to think about increasing the second parameter for Elevation_Frequency to get a greater proportion of oceans. (Specify the grid size with the first parameter.) Similarly if there are too many mountains for your liking try increasing the values of parameters 2-5 (other than the first these are ratios) but not the 6th.
I was under the impression that increasing Subregion_Max could result in the same error, but if it's actually a theoretical cap, then maxing it out makes sense.  I didn't know that Good & Evil counted as subregions, I thought it was limited to basic biome types like swamp & grasslands.  That would certainly explain why I went over the limit when combined with a 50% variance on all other settings.  Never messed with the Frequency before, I'll definitely see what those can accomplish.  I really appreciate the info :)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 09:08:15 pm »

You may be right that it is still possible to get the error with the increased cap.  Practically though the worldgen you posted did not return the error once I increased the cap.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 03:00:06 am »

Good/Neutral/Evil is applied to a complete region by DF (although you can hack individual world tiles to have different alignments). DF creates regions first and assign alignment in a later world gen step. Savagery is a true tile property, so a region may have all variants, and the same goes for tropical/temperate/arctic, where a region can span all variants. Same type biomes count as the same region as long as the tiles form a perpendicularly contiguous area, with the exception of the "grassland" biomes, which are split into "flat" and "hilly" based on drainage.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:44 am »

You may be right that it is still possible to get the error with the increased cap.  Practically though the worldgen you posted did not return the error once I increased the cap.
Yeah, the subregion error is no longer an issue.
Good/Neutral/Evil is applied to a complete region by DF (although you can hack individual world tiles to have different alignments). DF creates regions first and assign alignment in a later world gen step. Savagery is a true tile property, so a region may have all variants, and the same goes for tropical/temperate/arctic, where a region can span all variants. Same type biomes count as the same region as long as the tiles form a perpendicularly contiguous area, with the exception of the "grassland" biomes, which are split into "flat" and "hilly" based on drainage.
Fascinating.  I didn't see any DFHack commands for changing a world tile's alignment.  Is that something done in Perfect World?  If I could change a tile's alignment, that would simplify matters greatly, especially now that I've gotten Perfect World to reliably create Tropical regions where I want them.