Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demon Kings CAN be Beaten.  (Read 3114 times)

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon Kings CAN be Beaten.
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:53:13 am »

When fighting abroad, soldier stats seem to be really important for determining how effective that soldier will be. This usually isn't a problem, because it's pretty easy to out-skill your average goblin with a bit of combat training. However, the demon kings in charge of goblin civs have really high stats, making them extremely difficult to kill in combat through the raid system. Demons you would otherwise make quick work of with a well trained military are impossible to take down on raids. So what's an enterprising dwarven general to do? Start an uprising, of course. With the new "Demand Surrender and Occupy" option, your dwarves don't need to actually FIGHT the demon king. Just bring a large enough military force and you can scare the goblins into giving up their king. Your dwarves can simply execute the demon king without resistance and take over the site. Just remember to request the return of your military before the next hill titan shows up.

Other notes: If the dark tower you're targeting is extremely well-guarded, as they often are, you might need to whittle down their numbers a bit with the standard pillaging, which can be costly. The demand surrender method is best for taking on weakened dark fortresses where the demon king is your biggest obstacle to taking down the site.

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Kings CAN be Beaten.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »

This is useful to know, as I've been playing with a fortress with the intent to conquer the surrounding goblin and human civilizations.
How do you execute the demon king, though? Does this happen automatically after the dark fortress surrenders?

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:12:20 pm »

This is useful to know, as I've been playing with a fortress with the intent to conquer the surrounding goblin and human civilizations.
How do you execute the demon king, though? Does this happen automatically after the dark fortress surrenders?

Yep. Not sure if conquer and occupy works differently though.

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:36:00 pm »

Yep. Not sure if conquer and occupy works differently though.

Well, I figure if you're trying to conquer and occupy, you have to kill the demon king in the raid, but with the way raiding works, that's very unlikely to happen, so no conquering without making the goblins surrender

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:57:00 pm »

The archdemons have LEV 14 in their combat related skill usually, maybe more with some levelling. I think that the main reason they are hard to kill is their size advantage (and dodging, which they also have at 14 which is comparatively more than other skills (*)). In worlds I made for test or play it is very rare for any of them actually to survive till my era, they are killed by random mooks...

Next time I will try history of 125 years, so they can still be alive. I would prefer to be attacked by them in person than initiate the attack, though.

*) My melee dwarves usually attain LEV 14 in dodging when they are around LEV 60 in melee combat, and about LEV 40 in their chosen weapon, just for perspective. As a rule of thumb, dodging is about 4x lower than melee combat in trained soldiers. But demons (and other monsters with natural fighting skills) get both at the same level.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:18:23 pm »

Going to try this on my current fort. I raided the nearest goblin stronghold, which has a demon king, and they captured a couple dorfs.
Now if the returning ones would just get up and actually gain more skill...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:17 am »

Demon masters are tough but not impossible. Just have enough highly trained soldiers and the demon becomes just another killed opponent in the mission report.

I tried it few times with Child Care trained armies; it was quite a power trip to be able to dwarf-slap whole dark fortresses out of existence, demon king or no king.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?