Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress derivatives: Stardew and One Hour One Life  (Read 1174 times)

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress derivatives: Stardew and One Hour One Life
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:11:15 pm »

I propose a game where to play, one simply makes an argument that game "x" is obviously derived from Dwarf Fortress because...  I'll go first and take two turns. One can play in earnest or to be silly.

Stardew Valley is obviously getting to play in a quality modern biome where nothing evil can ever touch you again.  You are a simple dwarf who is accustomed to living outdoors. Stardew is kinda like a pastoral dream set in dwarfish seasonal colours. I know this is not a challenging opinion but it doesn't need to be.

One Hour One Life (OHOL) offers a selection of many of the most demoralizing features of dwarf fortress life for you to experience in real time with a great collection of other players. One is born on the run, much like a dwarf baby, to a mother who might feed you, or drop you, or die before your very eyes. The only thing an OHOL mom wont do is use you as a weapon to smite goblins with. (But she might drop you in front of a hungry grizzly to make good her escape).  Life in an OHOL town or "civilization" is disturbingly similar to life in a dwarfish fortress. You can starve if you forget to drop the worn out rabbit skin back pack you're carrying and find yourself surrounded by other so many other objects you can put them down in time to eat the wild carrot you foraged earlier.  Although every other character you meet is played by a real human,  they all seem to act very similar to dwarfs and in fact you'll probably find yourself in a strange mood before your hour is over. Then suddenly life ends abruptly and your bones become so much litter for your friends or descendants to tidy up, or mourn over.

Okay I'm done. The purpose of this post was really to talk about these two games but if you actually want to play the game I made up that's cool too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress derivatives: Stardew and One Hour One Life
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »

Kenshi is obviously derived from combining Fortress mode and Adventurer mode in Dwarf Fortress.

You start out as basically nobody, develop skills by beating on things and getting beaten up, recruit drunks from bars, and eventually cobble together some decent gear.

Then, your team of maybe seven people sets out with basic materials and establishes a settlement that invariably gets attacked over and over again by vicious wildlife, angry neighbors, and traders that don't appreciate their stuff being taken.

...I actually wasn't quite so sure of the resemblance until now.  Oh, and they're basically the only games for which I've done any significant modding.  And the modding for both is complex yet makes sense once you get into it.

Great game j3b4, thanks!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:34:48 pm »

Is probably way too easy to accredit 100s or 1000s of indie games to dwarf fortress or point out vague similarities.

My braindead contribution:
RimWorld.  Basically similar in most ways, but with a much lower population cap and actual prisoners.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:45:51 pm »

Castlevania's an obvious one, but I'll take it.

There entire game takes place in a fortification with a large underground area, complete with endlessly spawning enemies from the underground water supplies.
There are hearts hidden everywhere, even in candlesticks, which you convert into ammo for more weapons. Armok approves.
There are roasts hidden in the walls, where they're safe from (most of the) vermin.
Just as in DF, you can't really kill the zombies, they just keep coming for you.
The main character is a master lasher. How many games even have whips?
And some of the bosses classify as forgotten beasts.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:16:57 pm »

Tetris is a DF derivitive. I mean just look at the graphics.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:17:47 pm »

This Forum Game is clearly a DF derivative. It's on the Bay12 servers after all.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 05:01:27 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sumerian_Game

It was made in 1964, so obviously inspired by Dwarf Fortress ;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 07:51:59 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sumerian_Game

It was made in 1964, so obviously inspired by Dwarf Fortress ;)

Indeed, it was obviously Dwarf Fortress that inspired The Sumerian Game.  Not the other way around, no siree.