Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: (IC)Altera Vita Academy- A Red Day  (Read 20071 times)

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
  • 200 versions of the same catboy
    • View Profile
Re: (IC)Altera Vita Academy- A Red Day
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »

Spoiler: note to the GM (click to show/hide)

Also, my proper B text action.
Music of the Ainur intensifies. Use my violin to try and boost the effect. Once we get stuck in I've got a different song to use. And once we start getting massacred I have a third song. Advance at a somewhat slow place, so that my boost can last as long as possible before I have to start using my rifle (I want to use it a little, and I figure my ability will be more powerful if I am playing my violin and singing rather than just singing). On the subject of singing, can we add a slight modifier to MOTA that lets me use my gun without really having to worry about breathing etc. whilst I'm singing?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:04:01 pm by Redjive_Industries »

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2018, 08:24:40 pm »

Jun takes note of the group forming as the main force prepares to collide with the Contorted, takes a quick tally of the coming forces to the best of her current ability before giving a quick wave to Metz and peeling off to join up with Toby's group.

"Nice beats, dude." she remarks, settling off to the side of the marching line with her spear set out front.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2019, 09:37:20 pm »

1st Turn of Combat, Round 1

((It seems that you forgot to post, TriMagic))

Breathe in, aim center-mass on one of those shadowy figures, fire, breathe out. lets start this fight off nice and proper by dropping one of those nasties before they even know what hit em!

A good hunter strikes down a prey who is oblivious to its surroundings. A great hunter strike down a prey who has prepared an ambush for the hunter. Surely victory goes to whoever inflicts the first blow. Thanks to your keen eyesight, Jun's assistance, and your trusty hunting rifle, you has determined that you will be the one to come out on top.

Metz (Acc 10 + 4(Aided by Jun) vs ? (Agi ?): 4 vs ? = Hit!
Metz (Mig 16) vs ? (For ?): 8 vs ? = DEATH!

A loud shriek rang out of the alley and a splash of a thick black liquid sprayed out of the darkness. Moments later, a cacophony of growls soon followed and the source rushed out to reveal themselves in their grotesque glory. Each creature resembled a pale mummified human corpse whose eye sockets held orbs that soon flared to life as a baleful purple light. Its head were oversized, about the length of two human heads and its razor sharp teeth glistened in the sun. Its hand were large and its fingers were razor sharp talons. A thick, shadowlike shroud wrapped around its torso, ending in three writhing appendages that stretched from its back. Each of the Contorted charged toward the students ahead in groups of fives, save for the group whose member you'd just headshot.

Looks like today is going to be a busy day after all.

Not a single person who cares about what we're going up against.  Impressive.

"You know as well as I do that none of us can put down our weapons.  You're telling me that you can't see it?"

(After enjoying this for a bit..)

"It's not important now, Beribleu.  Maybe you'll see it later."

"Call me on the bracelet if you do see anything about these enemies.  I need to know if these guys are fleshy, metallic, whatever.  I see that at least some of them are melee and can't fly, which is something.  And they bleed.  Simple stuff like that.  Anyway, I'm off."

Go proceed forward until I'm killed, or I reach the goal area unmolested.  Avoid the other students as much as possible.  I don't want to be held back by any counterproductive buffing.  Actively resist any that affect me, including trying to shake off the unwanted ones provided by the other idiots.

If I find any contorted or their corpses, try to determine what their weak statistics are, (Checking for End vs Will first, then Int, etc.) but only if the corpse is in a dangerous place.  Specific numbers aren't needed, just which one is better than the other.  If the corpse is behind the lines and safe, ask Beri or someone else to do so and relay the results via bracelet.

Berygeuse looked confused as you tried to bullshit her. Rather than continuing with the discussion; though, she simply nodded her head slowly. You then told her of your plan to determine what the Contorted really are, to which she nodded her affirmation as she peered at the enemy through her scope.

“That black splatter could be motor oil though these fiends looked organic,” Berygeuse said, as she lowered the scope. “Maybe they're both? The Marxologists have been known to employ cyborgs. Maybe these Contorted are communist enough to do the same. We'll find out soon enough.”

Leaving Berygeuse to her antics, you followed the other students, keeping your distance as to avoid being tainted by their stupid acts of false self-confidence. You'd like to see how they would be able to live without their fancy powers. It seems that you are the only real human here.

Fortunately for you, the students closest to the Contorted are drawing the enemy's attention away from you, allowing you to eventually bypass the clash entirely and move behind enemy lines. However, deep down inside, you knew that if even one of these twisted bastards see you then you are a dead man. More are pouring from the alley and are beginning to spread out. From your vantage point, they seemed to be oddly coordinated for a homogenous horde of monsters. None of them were giving commands to each other yet each group of five moved as if they were a single creature. So far, their intention is to engage the students on only a few fronts and given the terrain they can easily outflank them. Are these Contorted more intelligent than you can imagine or are they guided somehow, you begin to wonder. However, none of them noticed you behind them though it can only last for so long.

Suddenly an explosion erupted from among the Contorted, sending bodies everywhere. One of the creatures landed next to you. The creature squirmed for a moment before dying. Walking over to it, you squatted beside the Contorted corpse and gave one of its biceps a squeeze. The muscle was rock-hard despite the limb being straightened. One can only imagine how strong these creatures are and they probably have the endurance that such musculature would grant, assuming it's an organism and not a cyborg or something. In other words, they're clearly stronger than any normal humans in this universe (i.e. you). You thought about testing its willpower and intelligence but decided that you'd have better luck with a living Contorted. Perhaps your more endowed classmates can help determine the range of their capabilities.

Spoiler: The Song (click to show/hide)
Upon preparing to deliver the next few lines, Toby decides to save them for when the group actually enters combat. After pausing to sling his rifle on his back and pull out his violin, he is surprised to find that he is surrounded by other students who seems to be oddly invigorated and eager for battle. He quickly realizes what has happened, and continues the song, lest the buffs wear off.

"Men of Harlech, honor calls us.
No proud Saxon e’re appalls us.
On we march, whate’re befalls us!
Never shall we fly!

Tho’ our mothers may be weeping
Tho’ our sisters may be keeping
Watch for some, who now are sleeping.
On the battlefield!"

Spoiler: note to the GM (click to show/hide)

Also, my proper B text action.
Music of the Ainur intensifies. Use my violin to try and boost the effect. Once we get stuck in I've got a different song to use. And once we start getting massacred I have a third song. Advance at a somewhat slow place, so that my boost can last as long as possible before I have to start using my rifle (I want to use it a little, and I figure my ability will be more powerful if I am playing my violin and singing rather than just singing). On the subject of singing, can we add a slight modifier to MOTA that lets me use my gun without really having to worry about breathing etc. whilst I'm singing?

((You're essentially giving your Psyche your fully attention so you cannot shoot and use your Psyche at the same time, at least not without any Perks first...))

You tried to artificially boost your buff but seemed to hit some kind of limit. Perhaps it's your Psyche that needs to be strengthened or the Perk for it needs to be researched? You'll figure out something later. Right now, all you can do is keep singing while the other students keep the Contorted off your back. Out of the corner of your eye, you see Lemmy of all people slip pass your group and the Contorted, headng toward one of the alleys. Just what the yell are he doing?

Can Roland see/know what Corvo sees/knows? If yes, inform my flock about where the enemy is hiding and what they are doing. Direct them so they won't all bunch up and get in each other's way, but be sure to be at the front with my shield held high. Explain to the nearest schmuck that it is, in fact, a shield and not a frisbee. 

((He is your familiar so why not? Also, you're a part of Toby's group so you get +3 Willpower and +3 Agility from his MOTA. By the way, I've got to tweak the combat system to make it slightly more simpler.))

With a series of rapid fire orders, you got everyone to spread out to facilitate movement. You also warned of possible Consorted further into the compound, to which the students responded by glancing warily at the other nearby alleys. So far, the Contorted poured from a single alley but they can't possibly be ignorant of those additional openings. Taking your place ahead of the group, you raised your shield just in time to take the brunt of the Contorted assault.

Grunt (Acc ?) vs. Roland (Agi 5 + 3(Toby's MOTA):  ? vs 1: Successful Hit!
 Grunt (Might ?) vs Roland ( For 15 + 4(Rookie IASNAF): ? vs 10: Successful Block!

You simply deflected the fiend's claw swipe as if it was just a stick. Around you, the other students held against the Contorted tide surprising well though some were slain by the enemy. Behind you, one of the student, a teenage boy, whistled appreciatively. “That frisbee of yours sure makes a pretty good shield!”

You resisted the urge to turn to give him a death glare.

Dive down to those twisty bois and taunt them with my agile dancing moves.

You decided to play around with creatures that have been known for killing many of those featherless brutes and may attack any other creature that is not them in the immediate vicinity.  On the other hand, you only have your beak and talons to protect yourself and your wings to fly out of danger. You are truly an intelligent bird.

Like a black arrow with a mind of its own, you swooped down and whizzed pass each grunt, deftly weaving through their ranks. Growling and snarling in annoyance, they tried swatting you away but you keep dodging their big hands. If you can move your beak as a human can move their nose, you would've wrinkled it at the stench their creatures have. They smelled worse than the humans!

As if having enough, one of them lashed out with its trio of tentacles.

Grunt's Tentacles 1-3 (Acc ?, Acc ?, Acc ?) vs Corvo (Agi 10): Acc ?, Acc ?, Acc ? vs Agi 9, Agi 2, Agi 3 = Miss! Hit! Miss!

Grunt's Tentacle 2 (Mig ????) vs Corvo (Fort 1):  DEATH!

Deftly dodging the first tentacles, you didn't have time to grin inwardly when the second hit you like a brick wall. You feel every bone in your body break and your innards liquify as the impact pushed its way through your body. You didn't even get a way to regret your antics before the blow sent you into a nearby wall with a gory splat.

Corvo, feathery carrion eater extraordinaire, has been struck down!

Meanwhile, as Roland continued to fight the Contorted, he shuddered as the psychic feedback caused by Corvo's death hit him in full force. After essentially experiencing his Familiar's death in the space of a second, he felt a bit tired and his body felt heavy. Hopefully this won't be a problem later.

Roland receives the Psychic Backlash trait (-25% Fortitude, Agility, and Perception) for two rounds!

((Note: In case of death, Roland will be able to resummon you after five round have passed, starting immediately. In this case, you'll be back at the beginning of next turn.))

Jun takes note of the group forming as the main force prepares to collide with the Contorted, takes a quick tally of the coming forces to the best of her current ability before giving a quick wave to Metz and peeling off to join up with Toby's group.

"Nice beats, dude." she remarks, settling off to the side of the marching line with her spear set out front.

((You joined Toby's group and receive +3 Willpower and +3 Agility as well))

Whatever your opinion on higher education in general, you can't deny that it's not everyday that students are sent to fight cronenbergs from God knows where. No matter, you fully intend to spread the gospel of combative skateboarding to the Contorted, as inspired by your Hero and Skater Tony Hawk.

Moving along the left side of the group of students, you saw a little girl shooting at the Contorted with twin revolvers. Despite her age, she appeared to be particularly good at using them, gunning down two of the creatures who were trying to outflank the group. As you wondered what could be more rad than that, a Contorted suddenly appeared and dove toward her. Quickly, you place yourself between her and the Contorted, using your weapon's long reach to you advantage.

Jun (Acc 7) vs Grunt (Agi ?): 3 vs ? = Hit!
Jun (Mig 8) vs Grunt (For ?): 6 vs ? = 5 damage!

You drove the spear deeply into the Contorted, who howl in sheer agony. Pulling out the weapon, you noticed that the creature seemed to be at Death's door. In fact, one probably could kill it with a sneeze. Of course, no one got a chance to test that down as the girl finished it off with a bullet to the skull.

“Thanks for saving me, ma'am,” the girl said, nodding. Behind you, a fireball streaked by and impacted a group of Contorted spreading out toward the left, send a handful of them flying in a fiery explosion. “Of course, its buddies looked mad.”

Pointing in a direction, you followed her eyes to find two Contorted staring you down. You have no idea why these Contorted comes in groups of five but it was clear that they are meant to be taken down as a group. A single group of Contorted can easily overwhelm a single student. However, they seldom stray far from each other, which a shrewd student can exploit…

You readied your spear and dared them to try to get a piece of you.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
  • 200 versions of the same catboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:49 pm »

New Song: Ken's Theme! from: Street Fighter Five!
"Generally I prefer more... Classical music, but I can make an exception in some cases." Toby pauses for half a second, flipping his violin up in the air. When it comes back down it is an electric guitar. Toby proceeds to play a more intense and fast paced song, better suited to the actual combat part of a battle.

proceed as I have been. Insted of singing lyrics, since there are none, Toby instead magically plays the secondary instruments of the original song, hoping to boost the speed and power of his allies attacks

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:09 am »

Well, they've got good End.  I suppose that's something?  Although this might imply that bee-girl has relatively poor End, by comparison.  Did she have significantly worse endurance than this corpse?

They also have bad perception.  I wasn't even trying to be stealthy, and they still missed me.  That should be enough info.

Get killed, dammit.  This is taking too long.

I've learned enough about their weak points.  Very little, but that's enough.  Don't charge them in an agressive manner.  Shout, get spotted, and make them come kill me.  If they don't start coming, or somehow fail to kill me, find a way to kill myself, be it cutting my throat on this dead body's claws (unlikely, with Lemmys stats as they are.. he's basically incapable of hurting himself with an attack roll), or climbing a building and jumping off headfirst.

Priorities for this turn are:

1.  Die.  I need to get back to base.

2.  Learn something about these contorted's weaknesses.  Only do so if #1 looks likely.  These enemies look weak as all get out, and if I don't get back now, they'll be long gone before I get back.

Standing orders to resist any buffs remain in effect.  Same applies to debuffs.. if I get disabled, I might be prevented from taking advantage of an opportunity to die.

It should be possible to judge intelligence by seeing how they react to being flanked.  If those contorted overreact and all five of them charge towards me, they aren't that bright.  The same can be done by judging how long it takes them to react appropriately if they split up in a properly effective manner.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:57:37 pm by Devastator »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2019, 02:53:13 am »

“interesting. these grunts seem to move almost lock-step with eachother. Almost seems like they’re Designed to try and mob up on people. lets put a stop to that.”

Try to predict the movements of one of the groups, then fire a shot that passes through multiple targets. The more enemy collateral, the better. Also, keep an eye out for Lenny and try to make sure he doesn’t get killed.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:28 am »

Resummon Corvo if he feels like coming out again.

Either way, bash some more uglies I suppose. Remember the face of the fool calling my shield a Frisbee.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2019, 11:13:36 am »

Step up, Block and Absorb, then counter with a single slash of Iaido, before retreating.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2019, 01:08:03 pm »

Trundle very slowly off to battle, if any enemy is encountered, wildly swing your arms at them.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: (IC)Altera Vita Academy- A Rad Day
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2019, 04:52:13 pm »

Respawn. Death is meaningless, as is injury.

Stick near Roland. Distract whatever he's attacking so that he can shatter its limbs and leave it helpless for me to peck out its eyeballs live.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2019, 07:30:06 pm »

Jun throws a thumbs-up at the gun-toting schoolgirl. "No worries, dude." She then takes a couple good pushes forwards on her board before popping her very own Ollie-Er, a quick nose grab, and then casting Stomp It Down on one of the two Contorted ogling her. With one looking more like a Crushed than a Contorted, she makes a swipe with her spear at the other.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]