Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fastest current way to train?  (Read 3293 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest current way to train?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 03:11:49 pm »

What does this mean, exactly?  Do you assign multiple overlapping barracks, one from each archery target, and then assign all of them to be used as training zones by your marksdwarf squad?

I've noticed that I usually only have one marksdwarf doing archery practice at a time, maybe this is why.

Yup. Only one dwarf can train on a target at a time, and covering them with the range designation doesn't include the other targets.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 03:47:05 pm »

...give them a range (with each target in it individually set)...
What does this mean, exactly?  Do you assign multiple overlapping barracks, one from each archery target, and then assign all of them to be used as training zones by your marksdwarf squad?

I've noticed that I usually only have one marksdwarf doing archery practice at a time, maybe this is why.
To clarify, a barracks is a barracks set from a bed, weapon rack or something and used for training.
An archery range is set from an archery target and only used for shooting practice. And yeah, as mentioned, if you have 10 targets in your range you have to set 10 ten seperate archery ranges (it means you can set the direction of each one differently if you want).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 01:18:36 am »

For training marksdwarves, my favorite loophole is that they get live practice XP for shooting at unconscious targets. So if you can find a hostile creature that's difficult or impossible to kill with wooden bolts, then you have a vast source of marksdwarf XP.

This is super-easy with undead around. If you have large sturdy wildlife in your biome, then you can do it on the surface. Of the dwarfiest approach is to build tunnels to pull FBs up from the caverns into a convenient kill room. Pro tip: FBs can only attack on their z level, so it's easy to protect your archers from breath attacks, etc.
Pages: 1 [2]